Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:03 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,630,227 times

Advertisements

Texas Tornadoes, Little Joe y la Familia, Selena, Brooks and Dunn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 05:49 PM

18,270 posts, read 25,985,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Texas Tornadoes, Little Joe y la Familia, Selena, Brooks and Dunn
Good choices here by Ibarrio. Will focus on the Texas Tornadoes on this post.

This band was sort of a side project that Doug Sahm and Freddy Fender had in mind since the late 50's when they first met. Sahm and Augie Meyers formed the Sir Douglas Quintet, cutting their first single, "She's About A Mover" in the Summer of 1965. Sahm later recorded a series of solo lp's on the Atlantic and Mercury labels. Future Texas Tornado Flaco Jimenez' had been a session player on a couple of Sahm's solo projects. Good stuff, the live recording they cut in 1990 is really good and if I'm not mistaken that was the concert from the TV show Austin City Limits. It was released commercially in 2005.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:37 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,191,122 times
Texas Tornados and Freddy have always been favorites of mine. Speaking of the late Freddy...he put a fine cd out called Songs of Baldemar Huerta (his real name) that is wonderful. Not the pop influenced stuff of the famous FF days, but tunes he grew up with in and around San Antonio. It's worth a listen.
And Flaco...Flaco is the greatest Conjunto/Nortena squeezebox player. I even named my CAT after Flaco. The cat is skinny, too....

YouTube - Flaco Jimenez LIve "Ojitos Negros"

Old 07-09-2010, 04:51 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,630,227 times
Calexico is a pretty good band out of Arizona.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:23 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,351,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Calexico is a pretty good band out of Arizona.
Tom Russell, whom I started the thread with, recorded his most recent album with Calexico:

YouTube - Tom Russell: Records his New Album, "Blood and Candle Smoke"

Old 07-18-2010, 10:15 AM

18,270 posts, read 25,985,591 times
Been listening to the local community radio station this morning and they played a great set by Michael Martin Murphy, the self proclaimed "Cosmic Cowboy" ( the title to one of his better known songs). Songs like "Wildfire" and "Carolina In The Pines" furthered his career, he has settled in for the last 15 years or so with a series of cowboy music related albums.

A New Mexico resident (he had lived near the Red River area for a long time, not sure if he still does) he also is credited with the New Mexico state ballad (Land Of Enchantment), from that self titled lp he released in 1987. He has been putting out some great music over the years, one of my favorite albums of his is Horse Legends. My favorite cut off the lp is a great version of the Johnny Cash classic "Tennessee Stud" (Johnny plays on this song as well.)

It's not surprising at all to me that Murphy has been involved in this genre of music for so long. In the mid 80's he promoted "Westfest", a western festival of sorts celebrating its history, music, and it's art. It generally goes for three days, and is going strong to this day. This years festival is only a little more than an hour east of where I live.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:59 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,931,794 times
.....one of my favorite albums of his is Horse Legends. My favorite cut off the lp is a great version of the Johnny Cash classic "Tennessee Stud" (Johnny plays on this song as well.)

Oh, cool!! Thanks for the information, DH...Amazon has the CD, along with sample clips!

Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,351,048 times
Double H, here are a couple of events you might find of interest:

Durango Cowboy Poetry Gathering (http://www.durangocowboygathering.org/index.htm - broken link)

http://www.westernfolklife.org/site1/index.php/Events/ (broken link)

Old 07-18-2010, 12:45 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,259,672 times
I got REALLY sick of hearing Wildfire, although it wouldn't bother me now. I love Carolina in the Pines. I remember going to Red River and seeing posters advertising Michael Martin Murphy in Texas Red's Steakhouse (a great place to eat!). I'm itchin' to go to Red River again, podnuh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico