Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:01 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,923,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
LOL, Lake? The street is almost as wide :P I wouldn't mind a small stream/river.
The nicest campgrounds I can think of for having a creek running through, as well as a stocked trout "lake" (reservoir), are at Bonito Lake in Lincoln County. Access is via paved roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 10:27 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,662,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Are there any small creeks or rivers in any of the campsites?
Are you asking for Cloucroft or Ruidoso??

If i remember correctly there are some next to the Rio Penasco that flows from Cloudcroft to Mayhill and then down to just south of Artesia and into the Pecos River down there.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 PM

224 posts, read 690,716 times
Question camping near Cloudcroft??

We are thinking of vacationing in Cloudcroft this July for a few days or a week. The cabin rentals are a bit pricey. Most of the parks are for RVs only. Does anyone know of any public camping parks around the area besides Tall Pines? or cheaper cabins? Thanks for your time. We look forward to the responses.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:18 AM

502 posts, read 1,382,010 times
There are alot of public camping areas within just a few miles of Cloudcroft.
Lincoln National Forest Campgrounds

But you also have the entire Lincoln National Forest to camp in. Why limit yourself to a camp ground? Have fun but as a fire fighter please be careful with your campfires;-)

Old 06-13-2010, 10:36 PM

259 posts, read 851,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
There are alot of public camping areas within just a few miles of Cloudcroft.
Lincoln National Forest Campgrounds

But you also have the entire Lincoln National Forest to camp in. Why limit yourself to a camp ground? Have fun but as a fire fighter please be careful with your campfires;-)
Wait a minute! They don't ban campfires outside of the campground's already established fire pits here? JACKPOT!

I understood why they did it in the Black Hills National Forest, but hated it.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:34 AM

502 posts, read 1,382,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdude2018 View Post
Wait a minute! They don't ban campfires outside of the campground's already established fire pits here? JACKPOT!

I understood why they did it in the Black Hills National Forest, but hated it.
Nope, not unless there is a particular ban in place due to the current fire danger. Taking a wild guess I would say we might see a short period of fire bans in early July. The wind is still blowing and drying things out and they are forecasting that we are still 4 to 5 weeks away from the "normal" monsoon season.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,923,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
The wind is still blowing and drying things out and they are forecasting that we are still 4 to 5 weeks away from the "normal" monsoon season.
I noticed that the Smokey Bear Ranger District here has raised the danger from Moderate to High in the past week. Usually that triggers fire restrictions confining campfires to designated campgrounds. Also it's become normal in June to ban use of charcoal grills - but allow gas grills - when the danger is rated High.
Quote:
STAGE I FIRE RESTRICTIONS (Nat. Forests)

PROHIBITIONS:

• Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove, except within a developed recreation site, or improved site. The use of petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns or heating devices providing such devices meet the fire underwriter’s specifications for safety is allowed.
  • Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material.
  • Possessing, discharging or using any kind of firework or other pyrotechnic device.
Stage II conditions add a few further restrictions and Stage III bans entry to the Nat. Forest altogether during the period Stage III is in effect. Stage III has occurred several times for periods of up to about a month in the past ten years in certain areas of the Lincoln Nat. Forest and usually is a guide for local municipalities, state and BLM lands.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,250 times
looking to go camping this coming week but i am wondering if it is dry out there. is there any fire bans for making camp fires n charcole grills

Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,129 times
We want to camp near cloudcroft. We have a 35ft fifth wheel any suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico