Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 09:20 AM

7 posts, read 14,544 times

Advertisements

Hi all~
I am planning a move back to New Mexico~where my heart is~ in approximately a year's time. I am very undecided about where is best for me at this time in life, with my present circumstances. Here's some background:
I am a licensed massage therapist, age 46. When I was 33, I packed up an old pickup, my two cats, and some clothes and moved to Taos from Cincinnati, OH. Spent 5 months there and can only say that I was mind-blown, spirit-blown by the beauty of the place...and yet, I struggled quite a bit because I went with only the sketchiest of plans for employment, etc. I was there only 5 months before a sudden death in my immediate family brought me back to Cincinnati, where I presently reside, and which is slowly killing me lol! In the interim, I have spent a few years in New England, which was partly awful and partly gorgeous (coast of Maine) but not "me" in the way that NM is.

In returning, I want to choose the best all-around location both socially and economically. I am not looking to buy a home. I would be an apartment dweller. A single, female, apartment-dwelling massage therapist/writer.

Any feedback? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 01:25 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,988,105 times
Wink But, of course

You know Taos to an extent, but if not Santa Fe and Albuquerque as well it might be advisable to do some exploring. Your given career and life would fit all three fine, Taos most specifically. Yet due its size it might also prove the most difficult to become established in; Taos suffers no lack of massage therapists and aspiring writers. In practical terms ABQ might be the easiest to make a home in initially, in no small part due its appreciably larger market.

But in looking consider where you would most like to live, as each of these three towns, all fine in their own way, are naturally different in certain aspects. In size alone you will have an obvious choice in that you most prefer, and some find even Taos too large. People succeed in such fields in all three towns, so the question is how you might? It will almost certainly pose a challenge, as you might have appreciated from your time in Taos. So best to aim for that truly wanted.

Taos is a poor town in a poor county, within a poor state. That is one aspect of it. The expensive adobe houses and fine restaurants bespeak another aspect. As mentioned, one might be mind and spirit-blown in such a place, and that is one of its enchanting aspects. To make a viable life is to incorporate enough of the right aspects in a certain balance. The challenge, key, and enticement.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:55 AM

Idunn, thank you for your very articulate and lovely reply.

I would love to hear from others...some single women of a certain age...or from anyone who wants to weigh in!

Old 06-15-2010, 11:22 PM

45 posts, read 105,905 times
I'd suggest you check out Silver City in the Southwest corner of the State. It's a beautiful small town with lots of character, wonderful culture and perfect climate. IMO some of the most beautiful hiking in the state.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,540,413 times
Love Taos - but wouldn't want to live there. It has become much more commercial and has attracted more transients. You might say it's more glamorous in some ways, and seedier in others.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
We looked at living in Taos a few years back. There weren't many good places we could have afforded. I think the cost of living would have killed us. Fortunately, dh didn't get the job. I still love visiting there. I think it would be harder to get established there. The last couple of times we visited, the town appeared to be affected by the downtown in the economy. A bad economy is always good news for someone, but I'm not sure it would be good for your field.

Of the three, I would probably also choose Albuquerque. I think you could find more affordable housing and have more work options available. You can always escape to the surrounding ares if you need more inspiration for your writing.

Good luck!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 AM

Thank you all for your replies to my question
I haven't been back to Taos/Santa Fe in over 10 years....I still dream about it and would love to return. So many wonderful memories. Living in Taos brought out a side of this Midwesterner that I haven't really experienced since...however....Taos doesn't offer me the two things I am most interested in right now: an opportunity to make a very good living in my profession and the opportunity to find love with someone who is actually rooted there and who plans to stay awhile. At least, this was my experience all those years ago. Now I'm just older and want those things even more

So, right. As of this moment, Taos is out, Santa Fe is a "maybe," and Alb is my strongest leaning.

Right now, I feel a strong pulll to visit NM again. Anywhere! Just want to cross the state line!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico