Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:05 PM

261 posts, read 938,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Is that a thermostat or is it one of those things that turns it on/off according to humidity? am asking because we're thinking of buying a swamp cooler, that is if they're more efficient than regular a/c.

Keep in mind that swamp coolers work by evaporation, so as the humidity rises they become less effective. Above a certain point they're simply blowing air around as the actual heat exchange is not enough to make it feel cooler. On a 90F day with 15% relative humidity you can't beat a swamp cooler. On an 80F day with 45% relative humidity you just have to break out the fan and sit on the porch with a mint julep, as it's not going to do much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 08:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,950,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
am asking because we're thinking of buying a swamp cooler, that is if they're more efficient than regular a/c.
Swamp coolers are less expensive to buy and operate.

We converted to Central A?C last year...

Rich

Old 05-15-2009, 09:35 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,333,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
I would bet it cost me 20% or less to run my cooler than it would cost to run refrigerated air. I will DM you more info.
TY, maybe you can help me save some $$$.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:22 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,257,545 times
My water bill goes up a little, but my electric bill stays way down. 20% is a good estimate. We save about 80%. I run mine for as long as possible, but when the monsoon comes I have no choice but to put on the A/C. It runs pretty much non-stop for three months straight.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 PM

53,190 posts, read 34,974,845 times
swamp coolers are fantastic in environments where they work well, and they do work well in NM.
for as far back as i can remember, the only a/c my family had was an old monkey-wards window unit that my dad and i would shove up into my parents' bedroom window around fathers day every summer and pulled back out sometime in september. man, that thing would freeze you right out of the room.
the rest of the year it sat on the ground and got blasted by the sun. pretty amazing that it worked so well for so long.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:57 AM

576 posts, read 2,312,736 times
Default Pleased to report from eastern NM

We haven't had any a/c on yet and are quite comfortable. Overhangs that shade the windows, ceiling fans, and cool tile floors make the difference in this house. If we feel a little warm we just walk around barefoot and the floors cool us right off.

The electricity bill is going down, down, down. Hope I'm not speaking too soon, don't want to break the spell...

~clairz

Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,009,460 times
clairz, you might also consider coating your roof with a white or tan elastomeric coating, to reduce heat absorption. Another option might be to use a dehumidifier along with the swamp, when it gets hotter. Of course that would use more electricity, at which point you might as well get AC.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,238,634 times
Or you could raid your local shoe store for all their silica packets.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,950,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Another option might be to use a dehumidifier along with the swamp, when it gets hotter.
A swamp cooler creates humidity by adding water to the air. A dehumidifier does the opposite.

I would like to see evidence that this does anything other than blow air around and waste energy. It could be hot air, or it could be cold air.

Rich

Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,009,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Or you could raid your local shoe store for all their silica packets.
That one made me laugh out loud, Rybert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico