Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:51 PM

215 posts, read 840,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
One of the great things about the NM forest
is that it is still pretty sparse between the trees because is it not a "temperate rainforest" which is what you get in the NW.
Actually, the forest where I am is quite dense. When I hike under the trees, I cannot see much sky at all. This is not necessarily good. There is too much overgrowth, IMO. It would be nice if the trees were thinned a little.

It's been raining here today, and right now it looks just like the Northwest. Well, the vegetation is different, but the green wetness is similar. I live above 9,000 feet, which helps. When you get down around 7,000, things thin out a lot.

You might be right that Grailmaiden would prefer the NW. But there could be a nice compromise. In the drier but still green forests of NM, you would not get exactly the climate you're after, but you'd be within an easy drive of your relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 05:15 PM

Well, the lightning stopped, so I ran outside and took some pics. They're not great, but you can get an idea. These were taken around 5 p.m. in the Lincoln National Forest. Photos here (http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2090360275 - broken link). Certainly not the Northwest but not the sandy desert either.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:38 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,294,655 times
Most of New Mexico's forest are overgrown.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Most of New Mexico's forest are overgrown.
Yup. And it's dangerous. There's a timber sale set for this winter. I hope it helps.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:45 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,037,393 times
Good pictures, jecc!

Old 06-29-2007, 05:51 PM

39 posts, read 268,895 times
WOW!!!! That is gorgeous!! Thanks so much for the pictures!!! It looks a lot like Alpine.

So where are these taken? How far is it from Alb?

Old 06-29-2007, 05:53 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,037,393 times
Grailmaiden:

Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth...

I do not live in New Mexico, but I lived there for a year many years ago...and I went there from upstate New York, which was lush and green.

I didn't expect it, but I absolutely fell in love with the desert and the wide open spaces and the vast blue skies and the mountains. But...yes...most of New Mexico is quite brown and you either love it or you don't.

For the next 35 years my husband and I have anticipated retirement in New Mexico, and we bought property there 15 years ago. I can hardly wait to move to an area outside of Santa Fe!!! BUT ... I know what I am getting into. Lots of desert, lots of very small plants and trees, compared to what I have been used to in other places I have lived. I am not going to try to make my little part of New Mexico lush and green. I am going to do xeriscape gardening, and have some houseplants and potted plants on my portals. But mostly I prefer the desert surroundings and don't want to change them. And if I want green, I can drive up into the mountains.

So...my advice to you is IF you like the idea of a state with a lot of brown....and most of the green places being in small towns or remote areas, then you may love living in NM. But if you are sold on being surrounded by green and living near Albuquerque, there may be other places better for you.

Good luck in making your decision.

~Sharon

Old 06-29-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grailmaiden View Post
WOW!!!! That is gorgeous!! Thanks so much for the pictures!!! It looks a lot like Alpine.

So where are these taken? How far is it from Alb?
As noted above, Lincoln National Forest, south of Ruidoso. About 250 miles by car from ABQ.

Towanda is right that most of NM is brown. But if you look for green, it's not hard to find. Angel Fire and Red River are similar in landscape to here, and they are closer to ABQ. Not much employment in these areas. They are mostly small resort towns.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:08 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,026,887 times
I drove through the Lincoln National Forest today, and its nice and green. Went to Timberon and now I know why I love it up there, peace and quiet, forest and wildlife. But it did rain and hail this afternoon. Was to get down to 47 tonight. While in Alamogordo its much warmer.. But I love both areas, desert and forest.. go figure..
Jane

Old 06-29-2007, 10:15 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,026,887 times
I can't wait to have front and side desert/rock/xeriscaping in NM....and one 15 x 30 strip of lawn in back to take care of.....[/quote]

Cathy, thats even to much lawn for me.. With the rain last year we do have more weeds than usual, but I can deal with it. Kent would shoot me if I though of a lawn mower..LOL
Jane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico