Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 24,520 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering moving to Roswell PD to work as an officer down there (In Minnesota, currently). I've read through all of the other threads regarding the 'rampant crime' and how terrible Roswell is.

I want realistic opinions for a young married couple living in Roswell. I plan on staying in Roswell at least three to five years and probably won't be having any children there.

Is crime THAT bad? The water, is it really undrinkable? What are your guys' views/opinions of the Roswell Police? Do they appreciated and respected? Do they have a good reputation?

Also, what towns are within 20 minutes from Roswell?

ANY other helpful info is much appreciated!

Thanks!

-
Riley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
As someone who's resided in Roswell recently, here's what I can say:

Is Roswell's crime that bad? Yes, it pretty much is. Lots of property crime (shoplifting and car breakins are pretty rampant), and check out the murder statistics, which rival towns much larger. If you don't want to be bored, you won't be in Roswell.

As a police officer, you should note that surrounding police departments (Artesia, Hobbs) have reputations for offering far higher salaries and bonuses to police officers; as such, Roswell has continuous police shortages (all the unpaid overtime you want!) as their officers leave for greener pastures. The city council has also not dealt very fairly with the police, refusing court orders on occasion. Talkroswell.com would be an excellent window into the town's goings-on.

The police reputation has always seemed to be good, in terms of transparency and professionalism. That's a bright spot in an otherwise dark picture.

The water? Not so bad; bear in mind if you rent a home dating back to 1920 that hasn't been upgraded (these actually make up a sizeable percentage of the rental properties in town), you'll be getting some iffy water. The town has at least two separate drinking water systems, so where you rent/buy will have a very strong bearing on what comes out of the tap; still, there's nothing a Brita filter wouldn't help with.

Towns within 20 minutes of Roswell? None. The next larger settlement is a four-way tie between Albuquerque, El Paso, Lubbock, and Midland/Odessa, with Albuquerque having the shortest and most direct drive (at almost exactly 200 miles). Nonstop service to DFW (and I believe LAX) is provided at Roswell's airport. Nearby destination towns include Artesia, Carlsbad, Hobbs, and Ruidoso, though they are all smaller than Roswell.

I can't imagine 3-5 years in Roswell. Few transplants (and they get many, whether for hospitals, law enforcement, retail management) choose to stay, if they get the choice.

Best of luck to you in your decision; I know many police departments around the country are not hiring.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 AM

502 posts, read 1,380,359 times
Well to be really honest with you the longest year I spent in my LE career was when I was stationed in Roswell. Good job, but I didn't care for the town itself!
For a young officer looking or some 'excitement" it would be a good start. That stage will soon grow old though. Lot's to keep you busy. They have a good city PD but like already stated the pay is pretty sad. IMHO I would take a long hard look at NMSP.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:03 AM

Thank you VERY much for the responses. Coming from Minnesota all of New Mexico looks the same to me! It's pretty in its own way but definitely a change. But growing up in California got me used to the desertish climate.

Regarding crime levels, I think it would be a good place to learn the ropes from what I've heard but not a place to raise a family. I did notice the pay is rather low, I would be lateral transferring into the department, so it would be a bit higher, but still 2-3 dollars less per hour than Minnesota jobs. On the other hand there is a 3-4 year wait for Police jobs in the midwest...

For car break-ins and such, having a squad car parked in my driveway may deter some of that (I would think...). Seems as if a lot of the crime is a bunch of young kids trying to be gangsters?

Mtncat, as a former Roswell Police Officer, how are the dangers for the officers themselves? I know it's an inherently dangerous job, but I can't find any Officer deaths online or anything. Which is a good sign?

Another question:
The college campus in Roswell, does it accept credits from out of state (specifically Minnesota). Can you do whole degree programs there? Is it nice?

Thanks a TON for the great responses!

Old 10-26-2010, 10:21 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Masters and Bachelors Degrees at Roswell

Here is the webpage for Eastern NM at Roswell. I've never been to ENM or any of their branches myself, so I can't tell you anything else about it.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
I think the best strategy, if you're still not dissuaded, is to book a flight on American and see it for yourself, before you decide. It's far cheaper of a gamble than taking the offer.

10-day forecast for Minneapolis: Highs around 50, lows around 35. Mostly sunny after the next few days.
10-day forecast for Roswell: Highs around 70, lows around 40. Mostly sunny until next week.

Roswell does get wickedly cold and windy on occasion, and it does get dumped on in snow on occasion, but probably a walk in the park compared to where you're from. As PD, you'll be witness firsthand to how ill-prepared locals and local governments are for inclement weather.

I wouldn't be too worried about raising a kid from 0-4 in Roswell (the illegal aliens certainly don't seem to mind doing it); it's the later years that would bother me.

The crime is not young kids, so much as you would think (though there are plenty of young hoodlums). The frightening thing is how many older (30-60) people are career criminals and beat the NM judicial system again and again. Drug abuse (paid for by tax dollars) is beyond the pale there. I only smelled pot there once in one year; they like meth far more than in other places I've lived.

The college? I want to be constructive.. it has some graduate areas of study but it's basically a 2-year community college that feeds into what is probably NM's 5th best 4-year public university (NM has 6). If you're looking to get started in college it might not be so bad; I'd be more concerned with transferring credits outward than bringing them in. Also, it's about 10 minutes south from downtown Roswell, and 20 minutes south from the mall/Walmart (visit the mall if you do go; makes you feel sad). You're not likely to find much decent housing available south of downtown. Roswell's unfortunately very spread out for its size, and the shorter commute people crave just isn't shorter.

Good luck. Roswell does need good police officers. Best start boning up on your Spanish, as there's probably 30% of that town that never speaks English.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I think the best strategy, if you're still not dissuaded, is to book a flight on American and see it for yourself, before you decide. It's far cheaper of a gamble than taking the offer.

10-day forecast for Minneapolis: Highs around 50, lows around 35. Mostly sunny after the next few days.
10-day forecast for Roswell: Highs around 70, lows around 40. Mostly sunny until next week.

Roswell does get wickedly cold and windy on occasion, and it does get dumped on in snow on occasion, but probably a walk in the park compared to where you're from. As PD, you'll be witness firsthand to how ill-prepared locals and local governments are for inclement weather.

I wouldn't be too worried about raising a kid from 0-4 in Roswell (the illegal aliens certainly don't seem to mind doing it); it's the later years that would bother me.

The crime is not young kids, so much as you would think (though there are plenty of young hoodlums). The frightening thing is how many older (30-60) people are career criminals and beat the NM judicial system again and again. Drug abuse (paid for by tax dollars) is beyond the pale there. I only smelled pot there once in one year; they like meth far more than in other places I've lived.

The college? I want to be constructive.. it has some graduate areas of study but it's basically a 2-year community college that feeds into what is probably NM's 5th best 4-year public university (NM has 6). If you're looking to get started in college it might not be so bad; I'd be more concerned with transferring credits outward than bringing them in. Also, it's about 10 minutes south from downtown Roswell, and 20 minutes south from the mall/Walmart (visit the mall if you do go; makes you feel sad). You're not likely to find much decent housing available south of downtown. Roswell's unfortunately very spread out for its size, and the shorter commute people crave just isn't shorter.

Good luck. Roswell does need good police officers. Best start boning up on your Spanish, as there's probably 30% of that town that never speaks English.
The weather should be easy for me, I am rather worried about all the people not knowing how to drive in the snow and me having to pick up the pieces as an Officer!

I have to fly down there to do my Psych/Physical/Polygraph test anyway, so I'll check it out then.

I thought there were major gang problems in Roswell? I guess I was mistaken, the 30-60 year old people scare officers way more than the 18-23 year old kids...Well from the guys I know, that's what they think.

I don't think I'd have a kid down there, just because it'd make it hard to relocate after 3-5 years.

The college worries me, my wife is currently finishing her generals, and I hope it accepts her credits and such. Otherwise she'll have to take a LOT of online courses!

I also was planning on learning Spanish down there. I have already taken four years of it in High School. But with a hispanic majority in Roswell I figure I need to adapt to fit their needs, seeing as their tax money will be paying me!

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:10 PM

502 posts, read 1,380,359 times
I worked for the State as an investigator when I was stationed there. I don't think Roswell is any better or any worse then any other area of the state except maybe Albuquerque. There is alot of gang problems in Roswell, more then you would think for a town that size.
Good luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawmanRiley View Post
Thank you VERY much for the responses. Coming from Minnesota all of New Mexico looks the same to me! It's pretty in its own way but definitely a change. But growing up in California got me used to the desertish climate.

Regarding crime levels, I think it would be a good place to learn the ropes from what I've heard but not a place to raise a family. I did notice the pay is rather low, I would be lateral transferring into the department, so it would be a bit higher, but still 2-3 dollars less per hour than Minnesota jobs. On the other hand there is a 3-4 year wait for Police jobs in the midwest...

For car break-ins and such, having a squad car parked in my driveway may deter some of that (I would think...). Seems as if a lot of the crime is a bunch of young kids trying to be gangsters?

Mtncat, as a former Roswell Police Officer, how are the dangers for the officers themselves? I know it's an inherently dangerous job, but I can't find any Officer deaths online or anything. Which is a good sign?

Another question:
The college campus in Roswell, does it accept credits from out of state (specifically Minnesota). Can you do whole degree programs there? Is it nice?

Thanks a TON for the great responses!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:53 PM

185 posts, read 488,819 times
Default MN to NM

Hi, interesting post. We moved from Stacy (north of Wyoming) to the area about 2 years ago, and were exposed to a real culture difference. For what it's worth, we might throw our 2 cents in there, at least to give you our experiences moving here.

Good stuff:
1.) Taxes: Here is the first thing you'll notice, and it's good. Income tax is about 10-20% less than what you're used to. And property taxes are also about 20% what they were in Anoka/Chisago county. Yes, 20%! So you'll pay in a year what you paid in a month for Minnesota.

2.) Insurance, utilities, etc: Home and car insurance is a lot cheaper, as the sue-your-a** Minnesota legal mentality hasn't come down here-yet anyway. So you'll notice this as well. Where we used to have $400 plus Xcel gas charges here during the winter, you'll see a lot less-as it obviously doesn't get so cold. And during the summer, elec is not much higher than Minnesota either, as although it's hot, humidity is low and takes less energy to cool than the high humidity MN summer days. Contractor costs are also lower, so if you plan any home upgrades you'll save here.

3.) Housing costs: Even with housing market crashes in MN, you'll still see significantly lower costs in Roswell, especially if you're coming from the cities area.

4.) Weather: While Roswell is not exactly a garden spot of NM, you are an easy drive to Ruidoso and great winter skiing if you like that. At the lower elevations, any snow you'll get is gone in a couple of hours. No more jumper cables or checking antifreeze for -40 freeze point. No more slipping on the ice or fighting frozen water pipes. Yes, it's hot in the summer, but with very low humidity I'll take Roswell at 100 over Bloomington at 90 anyday! Plus, except for the flies, kiss the other bugs goodbye-and that includes the mosquitoes! Yes, you can leave those cans of OFF! behind!! So sell the snowmobiles, snow blowers, and heavy parkas, and come enjoy the heat.

Not so good things:
1.) Mentality: Hope I don't offend anyone here, but there is certainly a difference between Minnesota and New Mexico in this area. The education system here is sadly way behind the midwest, and the level of expectations of people are lower, so expect to see a less educated attitude toward things. Especially if you are both college educated, you and your wife will shake your heads at some of the things that pass as OK down here. Seems like everyone has a pit bull and finds nothing wrong with letting it run loose and bite people. Drugs are very, very commonly accepted and alcohol misuse is just part of the culture. Wife (and husband) beatings are an everyday thing, and don't be surprised to see junk cars in the front yards.

2.) Crime and attitudes thereof: It really seems this is again part of the culture, and it's a very common thread throughout the area. While there doesn't seem to be as many violent crimes as we had in the cities (we had a person get shot right across the road when we lived in Lino Lakes) there is a ton more property crimes. If you have something in your car, it will get stolen, fact of life. Of course having said that if you park your car in North Minneapolis it will probably get broken into as well, so I guess it's what you're used to. There is a reason there are walls around the houses here, and a reason most people keep guns readily available.

3.) Respect for law enforcement: This is where I'd be concerned. As the other posters noted, the public doesn't value the police nearly as highly in terms of pay or status as MN does. We have a friend who is chief of police in a town around our area (west of Roswell) who is extremely frustrated by people continually getting off in court. Be it traffic violations, violent crimes, or even murders, NM is not at all tough on crime. Probably because half of the jury pool has been engaged in criminal activity, it is extremely hard to get a conviction to stick and the magistrate judges tend to worry about upsetting their friends (and voters) than taking any positive actions.

Again, everyone's experiences are different, and you largely make your own happiness, but hopefully from one who has been there it might help. From our perspective it was a good move, especially financially, and have no regrets moving from Minnesota-but be aware of what you're getting into! The poster who suggested coming down for a couple of weeks to experience life here yourself was spot on. Would highly recommend you and your wife do this before you take the jump.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:57 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
I've posted on Roswell on a few different forums, thought I'd chime in.

Riley, in your original post I remember you asking about towns close by. Zoidberg did mention the cities and they are out there, the closest being Artesia, 40 miles south, and Carlsbad, 35 miles south of Artesia. Everything else is 200 miles away and further. In SE New Mexico it's a long way between cities, which some people like and some don't. Now, if small towns are to your liking, you have a few of them 10, maybe 15 miles southeast of Roswell; Hagerman, Dexter, and Greenfield. Both Dexter and Hagerman are close to 1000 people each, Greenfield not much.

Good comments as always by Zoidberg, who does mention something you'll like, the warmer weather. Roswell's high temperature in January I've always found to be in the low 40's, sometimes 50. But it gets toasty in the summer, starts hitting 100 in late May/early June. And I agree with Zoid about lack of services regarding snow removal and it can snow there! But not much. When the winter systems come in February the wind can howl all right, but not like Deming or Las Cruces in the SW corner of the state. Now dust storms there can get nasty. Another plus about New Mexico weather-low humidity. You'll like that!

The areas that are rough are southwest of downtown and R.I A.C. Yes, gangs are a problem but every city has them. Sadly, Roswell has a little more then a town of 47,000 would usually have. The nice area is northwest, a lot of newer developments going there, nice places too.

Was through there this past spring in May, I think the UFO craze has cooled a tad, though they still celebrate the 2nd week of July with the UFO days. Hey, ya gotta have some sort of tourist schtick there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico