Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:43 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisciplesOfTheWatch View Post
My first question: Has anyone moved by themselves via car, with no human help, or something like what I might do? Would you recommend it? What are the worst case scenarios?
Well, I lived in my Toyota truck for 13 years, and I loved it... but you probably can't live in your car very well. It's turning to winter now which may impair the camping prospects in ABQ, but you could survive for awhile in LC yet. Don't foresee a problem just driving out and getting a weekly rental while you look, or maybe you'll find a monthly right off. You need some money saved up if you don't have a job... like ~$3000+... unless you are really lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 11:44 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6 View Post
And get some of that calming spray at the pet store for your cat if he/she isn't used to car rides. It really works!
Never heard of that! Does it work on humans?

Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Never heard of that! Does it work on humans?
Given the alcohol content, I think it does work on humans, but.. not a good idea to use on the driver.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:55 AM

11 posts, read 24,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Given the alcohol content, I think it does work on humans, but.. not a good idea to use on the driver.
It's called "At Ease" by naturVet and contains simulated feline hormones . I drove from Maine to Houston with my 2 cats and they yowled the entire trip. Then I drove from Houston to ABQ-a 13 hour trip using the spray and they were happy campers.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:38 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6 View Post
It's called "At Ease" by naturVet and contains simulated feline hormones . I drove from Maine to Houston with my 2 cats and they yowled the entire trip. Then I drove from Houston to ABQ-a 13 hour trip using the spray and they were happy campers.

So basically the cats are stoned lol. I would like to use some of that spray on some of the humans here in Portland, but so many here seemed stoned already.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:43 PM

18 posts, read 44,660 times
hello i too am moving to new mexico from the phoenix area. soon i hope. just need some more cash.

anyways, i have moved many many times by car/van/truck/uhaul/ryder/etc. its a good way to go if you can't afford to hire movers (and who the hell can? i think they're outrageous) here's a few tips that will really help you:

-get a major tune up on your vehicle before you go. you wanted a worst case scenario? ball joint blows out on the hoover dam while you're pulling a trailer and it's 120 degrees. that was a fine day! make sure you carry your extra fluids, tires, jacks, cables, and a phone.
-stick to the main freeways as much as you can. the byways are a lot more scenic but often hide hills and turns and speed limits you didn't prepare for.
-budget your gas and lodging and food for your trip. then double it. trust me on this one.
-don't sedate your cat. set it up with a spacious carrier, and just put up with what we jokingly refer to as the choir of bitching cats... lol eventually they will shut up and enjoy the ride. they won't eat much while traveling, but try. and stick to dry. wet is MESSY.

if you're moving cold, as in blind, as in never been there, or maybe been through it once but never actually lived there, before you go call some storage places. also call a few motels, or campgrounds if that's an option for you. be prepared to store and stay in temporary accomodations for anywhere from a week to a couple months.

if you have a lot of stuff, decide if its all really worth the cost of moving it. if it can be replaced easily and you have the cash, do so. a lot of times you end up renting stuff that doesn't accomodate that furniture anyways.

in my experience, you can't truly get a feel for any place without spending some time there. research can only tell you so much. altho it is a great idea to do.
OH and the most obvious. get yourself a GOOD mapbook of the place(s) you are gonna be checking out seriously. if you can afford a trip there first, all the better. but i myself am in the i-can't-afford-to-take-a-trip-i-just-need-to-move-asap boat.

i'm looking at las cruces myself. the over all feedback seems to be pretty positive. over all rents seem to be lower. but, we won't really know for sure til we're there eh? what are thoughts on Roswell as an option? its between LC and that. we are leaning towards LC simply because of a)size and b)elevation. looks a bit warmer and a bit less cold? (than Roswell).

happy travels and if anyone has some thoughts on Las Cruces n Roswell (and those in between) I would be grateful.

Last edited by djbluejay; 11-07-2010 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluejay View Post
happy travels and if anyone has some thoughts on Las Cruces n Roswell (and those in between) I would be grateful.
You really should check out the Ruidoso/Alto area. I am staying there right now and we will be back for Christmas. It is an absolutely beautiful area.

Also, don't be afraid to use the "shift key" on your posts. It really makes it a lot easier to read.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 PM

142 posts, read 933,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
You really should check out the Ruidoso/Alto area. I am staying there right now and we will be back for Christmas. It is an absolutely beautiful area.

Also, don't be afraid to use the "shift key" on your posts. It really makes it a lot easier to read.
HI JDTH, I see that it says you are from Tempe and Ruidoso? Does that mean you reside in both states? I have been researching Ruidoso for some time now to see about getting property for a summer cabin. I currently live in the Phoenix area.

To the original poster: When I moved to AZ 15 years ago I came with no job, a few thousand dollars, and a Uhaul truck. I found an apartment right away, got a job with a temp agency in less than a month, and was hired full time 2 weeks later. Things all worked out!

You've already gotten good advice about making sure your car is tuned up, etc so I wish you luck in your move! As far as AQ goes, I've visited there numerous times and I really like the area that's around Academy or Osuna Roads just east of the 25. Keeps you centrally located but a bit further north of downtown and not too suburbia, know what I mean?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtogrif View Post
HI JDTH, I see that it says you are from Tempe and Ruidoso? Does that mean you reside in both states?
My wife and I spend most of our time in Tempe, but we make it to Ruidoso 4-6 times per year. We bought a cabin in Ruidoso in February 2007. We hired a property management company to rent it out when we are not there. It has worked out great so far. We would like to spend more time in Ruidoso, but my wife's job keeps us in Tempe most of the time. We are too young to retire.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:53 PM

22 posts, read 35,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisciplesOfTheWatch View Post
I'm a 28 year old male currently living in the Phoenix area, and rather than visit individual places by plane or bus, I plan on putting in my 30 day notice to leave my Phx-area apartment (I'm on a month to month lease now) and then exploring places on the road by car. While this is a risky move, it will probably save me a lot of money if everything goes without incident. My car is just a little over ten years old.

Again, I will be doing this haul by myself (with just my cat in tow) and with my belongings in my trunk. Most of my family is either deceased, distant or criminal/unreliable, and most of the people I know in Phx (i.e. friends) have either joined the army or moved out of AZ for other opportunities. Things are that bad over here.

My first question: Has anyone moved by themselves via car, with no human help, or something like what I might do? Would you recommend it? What are the worst case scenarios? What PUBLISHED resources would you recommend to research before such a trip?

The two places I have in mind in NM are Las Cruces and Albuquerque. Based on what I've read so far, they seem to be cleaner than the sooty hellhole that is Phoenix, and quality of life/appreciation of surroundings seems to be better, too. Culture-wise, I'm not very picky. I'm originally from Northern California (The SF Bay Area to be exact) but the "wine, women and song" stage is in my distant past. I've been a mild mannered ADULT for some time now.

As far as either of the above cities, how would you describe the:

1.) average rent for a 1BR apartment (in a middle class section of town)
2.)
job quantity in customer service, accounts receivable/payable, pharmacy technician and prior authorizations?I've been out of work for 2 years, and the only office-related industry the Phoenix area has to offer now is collections. No more of that for me!
3.) PEOPLE? In the Phoenix area, folks are generally nice to you if they want something from you. Otherwise, everyone seems very snooty and detached. (Scottsdale was once called by NYT "the Beverly Hills of the Desert" - whoever wrote that NYT article is right on the nose.)Is Las Cruses or Albuquerque the same way or different?

This is my first-ever post on City Data, and while I've "lurked" on other forums on this site, I haven't looked too deep in this forum's archives, so I apologize (in advance) if similar questions have already been asked and answered.

Thanks!
Heloo
THis is my first time,,on this website.I stumbled upon it,while I was searchig,information on Deming New Mexic.
I agree with what you said,about Phx., and Arizona.Since Gov.Brewr Has been in office,Arizona,has fast paced.Its far worse since Brewer got into off,than years before.I wish you all the best...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico