Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,930,100 times

Advertisements

Have you actually been to Corona?

My wife and I are considering Socorro as a retirement town.

From the really freezing southern New Hampshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 03:19 PM

79 posts, read 175,376 times
Joqua, the road surface did not seem that bad to me in November, when I was last there. But then I am comparing it to Mississippi roads, which heave and buck like a slow-motion sea thanks to a ubiquitous stuff called Yazoo clay.

Mr.GWx, we east of Jackson. Where are you from?

GregW, we lived in NM for many years before events intervened. In seeking our permanent home to return to there, we looked at properties from the Pecos to the Gila, from Corona to Grants, seeking solitude, space and land, and proximity to a national forest. Many miles! Many patient realtors! And because our daughter has already returned to NM, she acted as our agent between our visits to check out many other places.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Sorry - accidentally posted that too soon. Clumsy fingers on a touch screen keyboard!

Anyway, we found magical places almost everywhere we looked, but Corona was unquestionably the right choice for us.

Socorro has many good things, not least a very good microbrewery! And it is a good launching point for the Gila, if you like wilderness. Also a bit more temperate than corona, and certainly than New Hampshire!

Old 01-14-2011, 04:54 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,196,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Have you actually been to Corona?

My wife and I are considering Socorro as a retirement town.
Personally, I don't think its a fair comparison. Socorro is a small city/large town. Corona is more realistically a "community" - and quite a small one at that.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM

801 posts, read 2,217,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little rook View Post
Joqua, the road surface did not seem that bad to me in November, when I was last there. But then I am comparing it to Mississippi roads, which heave and buck like a slow-motion sea thanks to a ubiquitous stuff called Yazoo clay.

Mr.GWx, we east of Jackson. Where are you from?
I grew up in Jackson, and that wonderful clay that turns roads into roller coasters turned our house into one. We had plenty of cracks in the walls and it was a booming business for companies that attempt to level house foundations. The last place my wife and I lived in Mississippi was in the Brandon area, and there was a lot we liked about that little town.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,919,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
I grew up in Jackson, and that wonderful clay that turns roads into roller coasters turned our house into one. We had plenty of cracks in the walls and it was a booming business for companies that attempt to level house foundations. The last place my wife and I lived in Mississippi was in the Brandon area, and there was a lot we liked about that little town.
I lived in Brandon back in 1982, while I was on a temporary job assignment in Johns.

Best Burger King I've ever been to.....and there was one pizza place there (whose name I can't remember after all of these years) that I'd stop by after work and pick up a to-go at the window.

Never was able to acclimate to the MS climate, even after 6 months.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:30 PM

Default You are right, Joqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Personally, I don't think its a fair comparison. Socorro is a small city/large town. Corona is more realistically a "community" - and quite a small one at that.

There is no comparison between Corona and Socorro.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 PM

Wow, Cathy, johns? That is a pretty small town! But there is one industry there - can't remember the name. my vet is very near there.

We are about 6 miles north of Brandon. Beautiful countryside! This area has been very good to us. But New Mexico is home.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,919,305 times
We were working on an addition to an existing plant somewhere near there, in Rankin County.

Yes, it is a beautiful place.....but I actually got sick of the humidity, constant rain (and resulting slippery as snot mud) AND all of the greenery. I grew up in arid West Texas, and MS was a nightmare to me, LOL!!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
We were working on an addition to an existing plant somewhere near there, in Rankin County.

Yes, it is a beautiful place.....but I actually got sick of the humidity, constant rain (and resulting slippery as snot mud) AND all of the greenery. I grew up in arid West Texas, and MS was a nightmare to me, LOL!!
I certainly concur! We moved to Mississippi from the Persian Gulf, so were accustomed to the hot humidity, but the summers here are tough. I am always amazed, when I spend time in NM, by how much more I can accomplish when it is hot and dry as opposed to hot and humid.

Originally I am an Albuquerque South Valley girl, and our daughter has returned to live there. But the mountains, high desert and mesas really stir my soul.

Thanks, everyone, for participating in this chat about Corona. I look forward to other tidbits and insights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico