Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 16,239 times

Advertisements

I keep getting emails about Valle Del Sol, it all sounds nice. Does anyone have any facts or pictures about the area. We're looking for a place to settle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
The land being sold in acre parcels is former ranch land in an unincorporated area of Lincoln Co. It lies close to (NE of) the town of Carrizozo. The slumping economy has NOT been kind to either the town or the development. It certainly is a viable location for those who understand the limitations of buying there. The potential is there - providing ample water can be found - but it's not going to be anytime soon.

Beware of the photos on the developer's web site that show a verdant green terrain. That only happens during the late summer rainy season. The 9-hole golf course has indeed been upgraded, but it belongs to the city of Carrizozo and is operated by the developer under an agreement with the city. The fishing lake depicted is a small pond, in reality, that is stocked with fish - fed by well water with no flowing inlet/outlet to it.

On a positive note, the land is flat to gently sloping so access is very good although not all roads have been paved and may not be regularly graded by the developer.

Some of the other developments adjoining this one have either been put on hold, gone into receivership, or are up for sale in their entirety - not as individual plots.

IOWs - caveat emptor!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
I got a snail mail card from there yesterday. I love that area, but I'd certainly have to have a look at it myself if I were in the market. That 'fishing lake' business sounds really dodgy to me. Don't get talked into anything.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Instead of a new "development" we would look for a small house or empty lot in town with city water and sewer. Carrizozo looks to be a small but pleasant community worth investigating.

White Oaks Northeast of Town is in a spectacular valley.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Instead of a new "development" we would look for a small house or empty lot in town with city water and sewer.
There is a little publicized area in the desert SE of Las Cruces known as Soledad Canyon that has proved county living in luxurious homes on large lots is feasible. The key is having the money and income to live there. Houses there have been ranging in price from $350k - 1.5million. I don't know if there is community water - or the status of other utilities - but there are NO nearby amenities. Las Cruces is nearby (15 mi.) so that's not a problem, obviously, for those living there.

Rammed earth houses seem to have been popular - so far - in that development. A number of homes, as seen on realtor sites, have swimming pools. So water doesn't seem to be an issue.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,591,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMBLEWEEDTX View Post
I keep getting emails about Valle Del Sol, it all sounds nice. Does anyone have any facts or pictures about the area. We're looking for a place to settle...
Don't have any photos, but I go by Valle Del Sol pretty often. I'd describe it as flat, dry, ugly desert. Even with a huge lot you would have no sense of privacy, since there is no terrain or foliage in between you and everyone else. You do however have a good view of mountains in the distance.

You are close to Carrizozo, but ~1hr from anywhere else. Carrizozo is not much of a town in spite of being the county seat. Maybe you like being in the boonies, but if that is the case, there are much better options IMO... places with a more quiet and secluded feel. Windmill Ranches north of Carrizozo would be one option, or somewhere in the Capitan, Lincoln, Arabela area.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:20 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,288 times
Lake Lumley's a good place to fish too.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Lake Lumley's a good place to fish too.
Yeah, sure! So why don't you tell everyone the best way to get there. And while you're at it, how to go about describing how to get permission to enter White Sands Missile Range.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 PM

185 posts, read 488,603 times
Valle Del Sol is an interesting development and certainly an option for anyone looking to move to the area to consider. Let me give you my 2 cents worth.

Currently, most (if not all) of the first phase lots are sold out. They are opening some more areas from what I understand. As far as the first phases, there are very few houses that are built there, and I would guess than most of the lots will never be built on. A lot of people have bought the land and are just sitting on it. The area is wide open, no doubt, and certainly nothing like Alto/Ruidoso (although the developer would have you believe otherwise based on the web site info.) But that does not mean it is ugly land-but rather you are on the desert floor with very good views of Nogal, Capitan, and the Carrizo ranges. The desert does not appeal to everyone, but with the stately yukkas, herds of pronghorns, jackrabbits, roadrunners, the desert is a most interesting location. And the most beautiful sunsets you can imagine are a certainty almost every night. We go quite often to the Malpais (sp?) for a picnic, walk, and just look over the area. And with the location, you have the option of a 30-40 minute drive to Ruidoso and its wide variety of activities. My biggest complaint with VDS are the streetlights. The "lights of hope" (as the developer called them) are completely out of place with the surrounding area, and really detract from one of the best features of the area, the night sky. If you want more than the 5-10 acre lots of VDS, and don't require city utilities, you might venture down 380 a bit to the Vera Cruz development. These are actually nicer properties, right next to Carrizo mountain, typically 50-75 acres each I believe-but obviously more money.

Certainly water at VDS is not an issue as it is provided by the town. I think sewer is as well, but don't hold me to that. Also same on natural gas, and electricity-no worries there. The developer has put some small parks in the area, which are pretty, and as mentioned the golf course/tennis courts/club house are very convenient. It's no Alto Lakes golf course, but they did change management this past year, and it is much better than it was. And very reasonable in price as well.

Carrizozo? Mixed feelings on the town. Some very nice things, such as the grocery store, 12th street, coffee shop, and the art shops. Many great people in Carrizozo as well, which is really the key to the area. But a lot of areas of concern as well. The town is in decline, after having it's hayday in the 50s and 60s. There is way too much poverty and drugs, although outright crime is not all that prevalent. As you come into town, the first thing you see are the junkyards, and as you drive around the town that theme continues. There are a lot of rental properties, and the care and upkeep on the properties is consistent with that mindset. But there are some very nice houses as well, and frankly you can get a much better deal on an existing property than you will at VDS. That is, as long as you know what you're getting into with the neighborhood. Frankly, we are living there now, and don't regret moving where we did, but it's not a long term solution for us. Rather, our plan is to move up the hill with Rruff and the folks in Alto-but it's going to take a potload of money, both initially and continuing on, with the high tax load the folks in Ruidoso seem to like to impose.

I guess the best is to invest a week, come to the area, and check it out for yourself and see if it's to your liking. Also look at some of the properties in Carrizozo for sale. The prices are highly negotiable, and if you're OK with cash/financing you'll be able to drive a pretty good bargain, as there isn't a lot of turnover right now. Best of luck, and if you have any specific questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:53 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
The streetlights would ruin it for me. As an amateur astronomer, I would want a dark sky location. But I agree that the area isn't "ugly".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico