Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 21,024 times

Advertisements

Carrizozo: new artists' community

Looks like Carrizozo is attracting some artists who are apparently attracted to the gallery there (it's a surprisingly good one), inexpensive real estate and life style, and moderate weather. Maybe more artists will buy some of the town's old homes and restore them as hopefully the trend continues.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-23-2011 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 11:55 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
I'm not sure too many artists will be attracted to the lifestyle there.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:58 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Carrizozo could certainly use a boost. Somebody mentioned that they don't even have a grocery store... and it is the Lincoln County seat!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:02 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
They have always had a small grocery store in the past, unless that is closed now.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Some "new" money has apparently come into the market and I understand there's some funding to re-establish the local grocery. I noticed signs of remodel there and some signage in the window advertising an opening soon. There's a new coffee shop on the main drag which could easily be in Santa Fe, except that they haven't installed an espresso machine yet (!). I'm sure they'll figure out that you can triple the price of a cup of coffee when you add milk to espresso soon.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:48 PM

464 posts, read 1,157,655 times
Last time I was in Zozo was about 2+ years ago now, so this might be a tad old pov- I found the town charming {I like small}. It's an agriculture town too. The people are wonderful and work hard to be a "community" and work together on things. They have a nice town website {google it}.

I can say it IS dry and very dusty tho, from the winds and the reddish dirt

I Luv the little old fashoined soda shop, that's been there for-ever, can't remember the name. It's a "landmark" little place, he's been there for many years {and I hope never goes out of business}. He's got a website too, but I don't remember it's {name} right now either, I'm sure I've saved it somewhere

I'm glad to hear about the grocery store being remodled, every smallish town one needs one, and they are pretty 'isolated'.
It's a little too far from the mountain ranges bases for me, but I expect it to grow alot.

Just my pov

Tia Dalma

Last edited by TiaDalma; 11-05-2008 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: oh and....

Old 11-05-2008, 02:12 PM

We also did the Three Rivers Petroglyphs trail during our last visit, which is a great experience. There seems to be a surge in activity in Carrizozo, and it probably won't hurt that Denzel Washington has announced that he's filming parts of his forthcoming movie around the community next year. And we did have the green chile cheeseburger at the Outpost. Just don't ask for a salad.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-17-2014 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 02:29 PM

185 posts, read 488,819 times
Default Did you get the small fries?

Hi Newkid,

So what is wrong with the salads at the Outpost? Didn't have one, but learned a lesson about ordering the bushel of fries! But can't beat the Chile Cheeseburgers! Zozo is coming on strong, assume you went to the 409 gallery. Did you see the movie theater is looking for a new owner and someone to retrofit? I sure hope they do find someone decent to make something out of it. Now that they have the Valle de Sol development (hate those night lights) and the Vera Cruz ranches, hopefully that will bring more people with disposable incomes in. Do hate to see the ranches get parcelled up like that, but it's inevitable as the owners die off and the kids aren't interested in ranching.

Hey, kind of off the subject, but there are lots of smart people out there, would appreciate thoughts on wells. We just bought property outside of Alto (right off 37, about 4 miles from the split) and we're thinking we should go ahead and drill the well now. However, it will be a few years before we can put up a house on the property. Is there anything to be concerned with if we do this and just let the well sit until we're ready? Thanks.

Yes, 'Zozo is a special place. We have good friends that own Jackie Spencer's old ranch by the airport that we stay with. And in case anyone is interested, yes, that really is a camel they have and his name is (ready for this?) Tutt.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:41 PM

They don't offer a salad on the menu, and seem confused that you would even ask. But that's part of the attraction at the Outpost. It is what it is and you know what you're getting. We order an order of fries and onion rings for the whole table and have some left over. They may not serve salads, but you won't leave hungry. And the green chiles are great.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:59 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newday14 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Some "new" money has apparently come into the market and I understand there's some funding to re-establish the local grocery. I noticed signs of remodel there and some signage in the window advertising an opening soon. There's a new coffee shop on the main drag which could easily be in Santa Fe, except that they haven't installed an espresso machine yet (!). I'm sure they'll figure out that you can triple the price of a cup of coffee when you add milk to espresso soon.
Yeap i remember when Sturgis and Kings grocery stores were open in the 80's/90's in Carrizozo. There are plans for new housing subdivisions on U.S.380 across from the golf course but the current housing crises has put it on hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico