Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,283,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
Hey, thanks BrianH, just missed your post. I've been on plenty of what I expected to be productive fishing trips, and got skunked. Conversely, I've been on trips that I didn't feel too great about, and ended up catching plenty. Either way, I think one of the best things is just getting outside and getting to know a new place.
Agree on both points for sure! The only really good fishing trips just happen. You have to have ones that aren't so successful in order to have the ones that are. They're way worth it to me!

If you're meaning Conchas though, I've never been up there. The northeast part of the state is really the only part I haven't spent too much time in. Just visited the helium mine once for work. I need to make that road trip, I want to see the grasslands. Maybe when gas comes down a little?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:07 PM

266 posts, read 1,334,323 times
Ah, completely my fault TKO, I meant Clayton Lake. Actually, I have wanted to get down to either Elephant Butte or Caballo for awhile now, although I fished them when I was much younger. Just too darn many places in NM that I need to get to/revisit.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:16 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,420,704 times
I was talking Clayton too, Conchas never sprung to mind. One track mind eh hehe

Old 05-29-2008, 05:23 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,283,325 times
Soo many C's so little time. In my best Emily Litella voice - "Never Mind".

Old 01-29-2009, 11:33 AM

196 posts, read 591,587 times
I realize this is an old topic, but I'd love to hear more about Bluewater Lake. My husband went as a kid and we are thinking about going there this summer-2009. He's been swimming in lots of lakes here, me only going to Conchas. Is swimming allowed? Anyone done it lately?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:01 AM

515 posts, read 1,060,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvercetti View Post
Out of curiousity, I may be in ABQ for business for about a year and I would like to know if there are any lakes, maybe ones you can swim in.
There is lake Cochiti about 25 minutes North of Albuquerque, a nice scenic little area. There is an area sectioned off for swimming.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 AM

110 posts, read 366,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvercetti View Post
Out of curiousity, I may be in ABQ for business for about a year and I would like to know if there are any lakes, maybe ones you can swim in.
Cochiti lake north of Albuquerque is clean, ample water (not like the shrinking Elephant Butte) with areas you can swim. However, be prepared for a lack of trees. Most lakes in NM are practically barren land surrounding.

In the Jemez Mountains, there are 2 lakes (one you have to hike a mile to) but neither is suitable for swimming.

Conchas lake is the leisure lake. You can swim at Elephant Butte but I personally don't like the place. You also have a Blue Water lake west of Alb.

Most of the lakes in NM, with the exception of Conchas, is colder water than most anywhere else in the U.S.

The best swimming I've ever had was in the river near Farmington.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:39 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,380,953 times
I always thought this was very strange, but when I was about 14 I knew a guy in my home town back east that moved to Albuquerque, so I was always proud that I wasn't one of those ignorant people who didn't know New Mexico was a state, even though I don't think I could have found it on a map until I drove through it to get to Las Vegas. Well anyway, my friend drowned in a New Mexico lake while fishing.

Then fast forward about 20 years, and I had another friend I met in Las Vegas who was from Albuquerque. so when he got married he moved back home. Sadly, he too drowned, along with his father, while fishing. I believe both friends drowned in the same lake, either Elephant Butte, or Blue Water.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:30 AM

75 posts, read 199,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I always thought this was very strange, but when I was about 14 I knew a guy in my home town back east that moved to Albuquerque, so I was always proud that I wasn't one of those ignorant people who didn't know New Mexico was a state, even though I don't think I could have found it on a map until I drove through it to get to Las Vegas. Well anyway, my friend drowned in a New Mexico lake while fishing.

Then fast forward about 20 years, and I had another friend I met in Las Vegas who was from Albuquerque. so when he got married he moved back home. Sadly, he too drowned, along with his father, while fishing. I believe both friends drowned in the same lake, either Elephant Butte, or Blue Water.
WOW. That IS very strange!

Old 04-02-2011, 03:29 AM

10,757 posts, read 23,858,233 times
Default Lakes in New Mexico

I'm just curious to know where people like to go for water recreation in New Mexico. What do you all think of the lakes in the state? I'm curious about...

Elephant Butte
Navajo Lake
Lakes around Santa Rosa and the blue hole
Soda Dam

and anywhere else worth mentioning...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico