Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I was surprised by the next question: "Red or green?" I asked the waiter what he recommended and he answered "Green". I loved the meal!
Again, it depends... In Juarez, green salsa was always hotter than red salsa...

Green chile stew is not as tamales with red sauce...

Then you get into the tomatillo issue (which is not hot, and which are not green tomatoes), etc... Tomatillo Salsa Verde is not usually that hot.

But again, it depends...

Sorry to confuse the issue.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
I started out confused, and I still am, so you didn't do me any harm. I hope to visit NM again this year, and Socorro will definitely be one of my stops. Perhaps I can learn more about both Socorro and the red/green matter! I can hardly wait to investigate both.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
I started out confused, and I still am, so you didn't do me any harm. I hope to visit NM again this year, and Socorro will definitely be one of my stops. Perhaps I can learn more about both Socorro and the red/green matter! I can hardly wait to investigate both.
Come on down!!! As long as you are happy while confused, then all is OK... Socorro? It's OK. To throw in more confusion, have you cosidered Grants?

We are semi retired here in Rio Rancho....

Rich

Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
I considered Grants, but its winter is harsher and I couldn't find many positive comments anyone had to say about it. Besides that, south of Socorro are some other places that I really like.

But I haven't made up my mind on where I want to live. There are so many attractive choices! Socorro has the advantage (along with Grants) of being just about the right distance from a big city (IMO, of course).

Old 05-26-2011, 09:47 AM

11 posts, read 32,208 times
This conversation on green chile versus red chile lets me know that I should always ask the waiter for heat information.

If you're going to try out renting in Socorro for a bit before moving, it seemed a couple of nicer places had 1 room furnished apartments available. This is based on reading in a previous thread that Hattie has nice places (and she told me they're furnished), and talking to another landlord who told me he kept his places nice but they would be too small for all us.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:45 PM

324 posts, read 714,841 times
Come on over to Chama, Taos or Tierra Amarilla. If you're concerned about weather, then Silver City.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:49 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
I thought red was supposed to be hotter than green. What do I know, I still live in TX!
Depends on what variety they're using.

I've found it to be inconsistent everywhere, and I guess you just have to ask. If I don't know the restaurant, I'll usually start out with green, and it's always green as far as breakfast goes.

I found out that I hated red chile on my breakfast eggs...yuck! It belongs on enchiladas, not eggs (IMHO). I'll probably get tarred and feathered for saying that here, LOL!

I also have yet to have anything really spicy in NM.....Alamogordo is bland city as far as the food goes........the verdict is still out here.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 AM

I have some 50000 scoville unit Thai peppers growing in the greenhouse I can share

http://ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm

Old 05-27-2011, 08:55 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
I have some 50000 scoville unit Thai peppers growing in the greenhouse I can share

How Hot Are Chile Peppers? | Scoville Heat Scale | Chile Heat Scale | Capsaicin Scoville Units
Yum! Makes good stir-fries!

I'll have container peppers next summer, along with tomatoes!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Nope, just eat em like candy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico