Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 11:26 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,629 times

Advertisements

I've lived in New Mexico 28 years (Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Las Cruces). I've had a bike stolen and a car window broken. That's it.

It's not so much which city you live in or what state you live in that's important. It's the neighborhood you live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 02:10 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
Default Very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
It's not so much which city you live in or what state you live in that's important. It's the neighborhood you live in.
Absolutely right. I live in a decent neighborhood in Ft Worth, TX, and I've had a lot more stuff stolen than that. Of course, thieves target good neighborhoods too, since there is more to steal.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:20 PM

23 posts, read 227,279 times
Abq is still a good place to live.I grew up here and moved back after living in Springfield Missouri and Amarillo,Tx. Amarillo was ok and the steaks were good. The problem with Abq is the criminals are caught but not duly punished. Most are back on the streets in days. The Judicial system could be to blame. I have traveled all over the country and never owned a gun. If a person minds their own business they will be fine almost anywhere. I lived in Hobbs back in the 80's and I liked it.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:30 PM

186 posts, read 640,230 times
I'm from Farmington and I never had any problem at all there. Not even a broken window, nothing. Does that mean there is no crime? Not at all. There is crime. As stated in an above post, it depends on the neighborhood. Also, if you associate yourself with 'troubled people', then you are likely going to be living a 'troubled' life.

Same goes with Albuquerque. I have never had a problem at all in Albuquerque (lived there for six years near UNM). However, if you look at the stats, they make ABQ look pretty heavily involved in crime.

Just like everything, you should take what others tell you with a grain of salt and find out for yourself. We all have personal stories which we rely on add our 'expertise'. However, all of are stories are different. A friendly reminder, don't take everything you hear to be the 'absolute truth'.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,014 times
Can someone please tell me a safe area or a clean safe motel to stay in om my drive through Las Cruces . I'd really appreciate it .

Old 12-16-2007, 07:13 AM

271 posts, read 1,175,444 times
It is all pretty bad and yes contrary to popular belief Las Cruces has
it's problems. I think it might have something to do with a thing called
poverty and very low wages. Let's see other than that maybe the fact
than many do not go beyond high school and also many don't even finish
high school. I guess after living here for many years I would say that
Las Cruces might be my first choice but it seems boring with all the big
box stores and not to much else for shopping. If you don't get bored easily
you probably would find LC a great place to be and of course El Paso
is very close by. Everything I read is that El Paso's crime is going down
and new mexicos is always rising. #2 worst state to be a cop with Louisana
being #1.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:44 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer View Post
new mexicos is always rising. #2 worst state to be a cop with Louisana
being #1.
Could you list that source ! I looked at Wikipedia's latest crime stats and they have us at #11 which is not good but i haven't seen that list about #2 for being a cop.

We are ahead of
#1 DC
#2 Arizona
#3 South Carolina
#4 Washington
#5 Louisiana
#6 Hawaii
#7 Texas
#8 Tennessee
#9 Oregon
#10 Florida

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

Old 12-16-2007, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 23,870 times
I remember hearing about how bad Albuquerque was in 2004. Downtown was impossible to walk in without people harrasing you. I live here now and the only thing i've seen is stupid drivers, and ugly fat guys whistling and cheesily complimenting girls. But i know there is worse in the south valley. But anyways there is no way New Mexico could be on the top list. I remember reading on some site that it was ranked 12th. But wikipedia says 11th which is still good.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,749 times
Grants is bad.
Roswell is off the chart.
Las Cruces is evil.
im thinking of relocating to las cruces i have 3 teen age kids this looks like a good place why is las cruces evil..i have never been in this state ..so where would you say would be a better city or state to relocate ..please ...thank you

Old 12-18-2007, 03:06 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacam View Post
Can someone please tell me a safe area or a clean safe motel to stay in om my drive through Las Cruces . I'd really appreciate it .
Any are fine off the freeway exits especially on I-10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico