Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:38 PM

24 posts, read 66,697 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're a mid-twenties couple looking to start a small business (a teahouse) in a small town (we're thinking anywhere between 1,000-10,000 people.)
We are interested in towns that are affordable and have somewhat of a younger population... not trying to insult retirement communities, but we'd like some people in the 20s-40s age group to socialize with. We're not looking for "Mayberry," just a town that we can make a home for ourselves and our business. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,613,118 times
NM has many towns in that size range... and every town has a decent number of 20-40 year olds. What are your other criteria?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 PM

8,511 posts, read 8,849,391 times
Silver City has 10,000 in the city, 30,000 in the metro with a mix of ages close to the national average (just a bit older). Abiquiu might be worth a look for that business given the art scene. Raton might be another option.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:20 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,428,640 times
IMHO you would be mad to open up a teahouse in a town of 1000 people. I would stick to the 10,000+ range if I were you.

Good luck with your search

Old 08-25-2011, 09:42 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,197,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
IMHO you would be mad to open up a teahouse in a town of 1000 people. I would stick to the 10,000+ range if I were you.

Good luck with your search
Opening a teahouse in general.

If the town is a very big tourist draw, then the light population might work. Examples might include Cloudcroft or Red River. Would be very seasonal, though.

This would be a labor of love and not a going business. I think you would be hard pressed to break even if your time was worth nothing.

New Mexico doesn't have the combination of young, small town, well-to-do that you can find scattered throughout the rest of the country. Even finding two out of three is rare. Adding "likely to patronize a teahouse" to the set of three makes your optimum square footage about 10 square feet (drive-up shack).

Old 08-25-2011, 04:04 PM

24 posts, read 66,697 times
Thanks for the info, we are looking at several states including Wa, Or, Co and a few places back east, though we'd prefer to stay on the western side. I'm definitely willing to go a bit bigger (into the 30,000 range) but we just love small towns, we're both from towns under 10,000 and living in the city is something we've never been able to get used to. We're looking to do something more local, with community involvement, but you'd be surprised at how well the tea house business goes in some small towns. We've done our research on the business end, but as far as location we're just getting started. We've allotted a year to find candidates, visit and research so this is the super preliminary phase of gathering lists of towns in different states.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda_k View Post
you'd be surprised at how well the tea house business goes in some small towns.
It would be good to figure out what makes these places successful. Who are their clientele?

Ruidoso had a tea house that is currently for sale. I don't think they got enough business.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:40 PM

185 posts, read 489,286 times
No, Rruff, it had good business, but there were some other issues that caused the owner to leave the area. It was a great place, and the plays and other shows they put on there were fantastic. They had a nice stage and ever event we went to there was well attended.

Our Story - ATTICUS Coffee, Books & Teahouse - Park City, Utah

I miss the place-it was really a badly need touch of class amongst us. Andromeda, we would really love to see you look at our area, if you're thinking to have that type of venue.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:33 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,181,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
No, Rruff, it had good business, but there were some other issues that caused the owner to leave the area.
Our Story - ATTICUS Coffee, Books & Teahouse - Park City, Utah
Thanks for enlightening me. I have a hard time keeping up with the businesses coming and going here every year, and had not realized that particular business was history. As a resident, I seldom even drive through mid-town Ruidoso, much preferring the faster route down Paradise Canyon. And even when I do drive through mid-town, my eyes are on traffic and not on the businesses. Other than Ace Hardware and a couple of restaurants I frequent, I don't shop there either.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
No, Rruff, it had good business, but there were some other issues that caused the owner to leave the area.
I stand corrected. I've never been there, but my wife liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico