Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,224 times

Advertisements

Your post on the Colo. forums describing your type of tea house really clarifies, so I will quote it here:

..."more like the traditional-style Indian/Middle Eastern tea houses with some retail and natural services (ie energy healing, herbal services and yoga classes) plus workshops, special events and live music/belly dancing."

In light of this, I recommend Taos. You also might want to explore the tiny, hip town of Dixon. The townsfolk bought the local store & turned it into a cooperative with health foods, local produce, etc. There is a espresso cafe & that store so there may be room for another venue. You certainly could look for community involvement in Dixon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 04:29 PM

121 posts, read 299,229 times
I can only think of maybe 3 or 4 NM towns that a tea house might work in, I think the other states would be better for that kind of thing honestly.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:13 PM

24 posts, read 66,628 times
Some businesses fail for really sad reasons having nothing to do with money... the amazing tea house in Sedona, AZ closed down when the couple who owned it got a divorce and each refused to sell their half of the building to the other... they ended up having to sell the whole thing. Now it's one of those offices for custom houses
Actually, Atticus is quite similar to what we want to do, though without the books and with more of an Indo-moroccan decor. We want to create a place for local artists, musicians, poets, and everyone who likes those things to gather, to get involved with the community and charity, to have a good "hangout" for people who like to socialize, especially for those who enjoy going out a night and aren't into the bar scene (or are bored with it!)
This is a labor of love and not a money-making scheme. We hope to be able to get by on what we make, but more than anything we want to be involved with a community and the arts.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:09 AM

8 posts, read 16,533 times
I would recommend you take a look at Silver City. It has a really cool vibe, and a young feeling. A teahouse would be a very popular addition. The setting is beautiful, and close to lots of recreational opportunities. There is a lively arts, culture, and music scene for a town of this size. People are friendly, and it's easy to get to know folks.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,001,150 times
A TEA HOUSE might be more suitable in WA, or Or. I know, I used to live there. Here..no way to make a go of it...
Maybe a Tav/Grill combo...but no Tea HOUSE....

Old 08-27-2011, 11:05 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Sounds like Santa Fe or Taos to me. Maybe Sandia Park to catch the after ski crown from ABQ. How about Durango, Colorado? I think Las Vegas, NM is a cool, affordable little town, but I don't know if they would go for the tea house. May be a cool place to hang out for the international kids at United World College, which draws kids from all around the world. Not sure how it would cash flow though..

We probably have several here in Ashland, Oregon (a great spot for your demographic, but I suspect the niche is occupied). How about Astoria, Oregon? Nice tea weather there most days.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
I can't help wondering how a tea house can compete with all of the coffee houses today? The tea room in Ruidoso apparently closed for reasons other than lack of business, but the fact remains that there are several coffee houses - and one that has recently expanded to add kitchen space. It also has free movies on Friday nights that have become popular, I'm told.

In addition, there are at least two drive-up coffee shacks in Ruidoso.

About ten years ago a young couple opened a coffee house in Carrizozo that was popular with the locals as a place to meet and greet. But they sold out after a few years and moved back to where they formerly lived. Not sure the reason, other than they possibly tired of the small town culture. They gave it up at a good time since 'zozo has not been able to sustain the growth spurt that brought in many "artsy" types - most of whom have moved on now.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:19 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda_k View Post
This is a labor of love and not a money-making scheme. We hope to be able to get by on what we make, but more than anything we want to be involved with a community and the arts.
If Atticus could make it in Ruidoso, then you could as well. The demographic here is a lot of tourists (from Texas mostly) and conservative, but it is fairly diverse and could use a little more diversity IMO. I also think it is definitely heading in that direction... slowly. My wife owns and runs a yoga studio and day spa with an Ayurvedic theme. Not getting rich, but has made money from the start.

The Atticus building is for sale by the way... business plus living quarters.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Tea seems like a tough niche. If it is caffeine, seems like the coffee shops have that down. Tea seems to imply a more sophisticated, Asian-inspired style. Seems like a liberal, college town kind of market. Have you thought of Crestone, Colorado? That is kind of a very foofy little retreat town up near Alamosa, CO. Still think you would do better in Taos, Santa Fe, or Durango, though. Sedona and Prescott, AZ also seem fitting. None of these places are cheap, unfortunately.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:56 PM

185 posts, read 488,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
About ten years ago a young couple opened a coffee house in Carrizozo that was popular with the locals as a place to meet and greet. But they sold out after a few years and moved back to where they formerly lived. Not sure the reason, other than they possibly tired of the small town culture. They gave it up at a good time since 'zozo has not been able to sustain the growth spurt that brought in many "artsy" types - most of whom have moved on now.
Loretta still runs the coffee shop, and it's a great place, but mostly caters to the court house crowd. She's not open on weekends, and when court isn't in session things are pretty dead. But she really does a good job, and it is a nice place for the locals to meet.

However, you are right that Zozo has not only missed any kind of growth but has also blown the chance for any kind of improvement that might have been possible. It is really a shame, this could be such a nice little town, but short sightedness and a total lack of vision for the future have sealed its fate. I guess we should have been forewarned-after all, junk yards greet you from 3 sides when coming into town!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico