Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 02:33 PM

99 posts, read 316,894 times

Advertisements

Here in Silver City (6000ft) it is in the mid 70's today and mid 50's tonight. Usualyy around 10 deg. cooler than Las Cruces or Deming.
It is a dry climate called a high desert. Love it here !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,322,290 times
I live at 5800' in the mouth of Tijeras Canyon on the far east border of ABQ. Our area get the 'East Mountain Winds' on a regular basis. I think this effect makes for some interesting weather. For example we will get covered with snow, but, at Central and Wyoming and north of I-40, it will be bone dry a lot of times. Same for rain.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,813,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
I live at 5800' in the mouth of Tijeras Canyon on the far east border of ABQ. Our area get the 'East Mountain Winds' on a regular basis. I think this effect makes for some interesting weather. For example we will get covered with snow, but, at Central and Wyoming and north of I-40, it will be bone dry a lot of times. Same for rain.
Sounds great. Can you get to the trails easily from your place? I have seen the awesome mountain bike pics. How are the summers at that elevation? Any cooler than the rest of town?

Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40FORDJIM View Post
Here in Silver City (6000ft) it is in the mid 70's today and mid 50's tonight. Usualyy around 10 deg. cooler than Las Cruces or Deming.
It is a dry climate called a high desert. Love it here !
Nice! I have always thought Silver City was a kind of Shangra la. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 PM

963 posts, read 3,044,348 times
I always liked the climate of the Mesilla Valley best (Las Cruces). Summer days are about 5 degrees warmer than Albuquerque. Winter days are about 13 degrees warmer. A worthwhile tradeoff, I'd say. The average daily high in the coldest months of the year (Dec.-Jan.) is 60F. The average daily high during the warmest months of the year (Jun.-Jul.) is 96F. It's one of the few places in the Southwest where the annual oscillation of temperature comes to less than a 40-degree spread. Milder yet is Sierra Vista, AZ with a 32-degree spread -- getting close to a California-like climate. You have a short period of cold in the pit of winter and a short period of hot weather at the apex of summer. The rest of the year is beautiful, though sometimes a bit windy in spring. And the sun just never quits during the cooler half of the year.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:56 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,136,452 times
Has anybody moved to the Las Cruces area from Florida or the southeast-----if so,do you like the climate change??

Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,322,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Sounds great. Can you get to the trails easily from your place? I have seen the awesome mountain bike pics. How are the summers at that elevation? Any cooler than the rest of town?
Sure. I have ABQ Open Space right over my back wall. The trails are great for hiking, but most of the trails are old jeep roads etc. For mtb'ing i cruise over to the S. Foothills at the top of Copper (10 min ride to get there). Temps seem a little cooler since we get the East Canyon winds regularly. My home has a fancy swamp cooler and it works just fine except for maybe 10 days of the summer when we get a combo of high 90's with high (for ABQ) humidity. However, by dark it cools off nicely.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:01 AM

25,856 posts, read 20,800,521 times
Here in Las Cruces, elevation ~3900 ft., we've finally broken out of the high temps that we experienced pretty much all summer and are enjoying highs around 85 and lows around 65 this week - just perfect.

I have to say that this was the first summer, since I arrived here almost four years ago, that I felt that the summer heat was oppressive. Couple that with the extreme freeze we experienced last winter, it's been an 'interesting' weather year.

Overall, though, I wouldn't be anywhere else - no hurrincanes, no snowstorms - just beautiful sunny days.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Here in Las Cruces, elevation ~3900 ft., we've finally broken out of the high temps that we experienced pretty much all summer and are enjoying highs around 85 and lows around 65 this week - just perfect.

I have to say that this was the first summer, since I arrived here almost four years ago, that I felt that the summer heat was oppressive. Couple that with the extreme freeze we experienced last winter, it's been an 'interesting' weather year.

Overall, though, I wouldn't be anywhere else - no hurrincanes, no snowstorms - just beautiful sunny days.
Sounds like a nice high desert climate. I used to live in Bishop, California, which was very hot in summer, but quite beautiful the rest of the year. Perhaps Las Cruces is closer to that climate than, say, Tucson. I noted that it only gets 90 or so days over 90 degrees, which ain't that bad for the desert. Must have beautiful winters.

I am, frankly, a bit more afraid of the blazing heat than cold, but it sounds like the real high country (above 7,000') would be far colder in winter than I am currently used to. Anyhow, thanks for helping me imagine Las Cruces. I would love to go hiking in those Organ Mountains sometime.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 AM

563 posts, read 1,502,367 times
I've only been in Alamogordo (~4,300 ft) for 7 months and I love the weather. I just missed the February freeze they had this year. Coming from the snowy northeast, it was lovely here when we arrived mid-Feb. This summer has certainly been hot (that sun hits you hard if you're under it!) but at least it's not usually humid like the summers are in New England. I think May had a lot of days just over 100 degrees, but that was mostly that month, and we're getting back down to 80's. I think there were a couple high 70's in the forecast. It's perfect right now outside.
Cloudcroft isn't a long drive from here if I really felt the need to escape the heat for a day. Pretty sure I've seen it 20 degrees cooler up there most of the time. It is about 4,000 feet higher than us.
If what TigerLily said about the weather this year in Las Cruces is true, I imagine it's been similar here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico