Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,794,294 times

Advertisements

In surfing around in Google Earth and such, it is pretty amazing how high some of the towns are. Most places are above 3,000' and some up to 9,000.' Hard for me to imagine is places would be more hot desertlike, temperate, or pretty darn cold, like Colorado.

How do you like the climate in your corner of New Mexico? What are your favorite and least favorite parts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:11 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,622,248 times
It's pretty nice here at 7300ft.

New Mexico

Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
It's pretty nice here at 7300ft.

New Mexico

I have always been curious about Ruidoso/Cloudcroft. Pretty amazing monsoon there. Must stay wonderfully green in summer!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,024,605 times
Fence Lake area: Summer's 90's/50's, winters 40'sor so days/nights as low as -35 yep.)
Spring very windy, fall (favorite time of the year).Summer monsoon (muddy) humid.
HW

Old 08-31-2011, 07:40 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,192,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I have always been curious about Ruidoso/Cloudcroft. Pretty amazing monsoon there. Must stay wonderfully green in summer!
I didn't see ANY greening of native grasses until the 2nd week of August this year. Rains were very anemic this year, as they were last rainy season. Oddly, the land along US-70 through the Mescalero Reservation greened up a good month before the Ruidoso area proper. Must have something to do with knowing how to do a rain dance!

It was up to 92F yesterday according to the automated weather station at the Smokey Bear ranger station in Ruidoso. A brief shower about 5pm cooled it to 62F within a few minutes. It's in the low 50s this morning early (Wed).

Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 AM

888 posts, read 1,189,178 times
6,800 feet.....10 miles SE of Santa Fe, NM.

Mid 80's in the summer with almost no humidity.
Winters can get cold (i.e. -19 degrees one freaky day last year), but for the most part not too bad.
Snowfall usually between 10"-20", but usually melts quickly in the afternoon sun.

Steve

Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I didn't see ANY greening of native grasses until the 2nd week of August this year. Rains were very anemic this year, as they were last rainy season. Oddly, the land along US-70 through the Mescalero Reservation greened up a good month before the Ruidoso area proper. Must have something to do with knowing how to do a rain dance!

It was up to 92F yesterday according to the automated weather station at the Smokey Bear ranger station in Ruidoso. A brief shower about 5pm cooled it to 62F within a few minutes. It's in the low 50s this morning early (Wed).

Sounds perfect! Love those afternoon storms and how they break the heat.

Sorry the monsoons are being flaky. Bummer about that!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:39 AM

Wow Hunter's Wold, pretty chilly in the north and west highlands! I was amazed to read about the Gavilan area, where the record is -50, and a number of -40 readings have occurred repeatedly. That is colder than Alamosa and Gunnison, CO!

Anyone from the high plains, bootheel? Don't know as much about those areas.

I did interview for a faculty position at NM Highlands a couple years ago, and I was very impressed by the scenery of the Las Vegas area, and the climate seems pretty cool too.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:59 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,408,266 times
7,000 elevation and love the weather. It took time to adjust to the elevation the first time I moved here, mostly noticable after hiking and muscles hurting that shouldn't. My favorite season is summer and fall. I do not miss the hot and humid summers of PA. I lived in Oly WA for five years so now I really appreciate the sun in the winter even though it can get cold. My least favorite is the wind in spring especially this year. It seemed to go on and on. I love the mountains and sense of space due to awesome views of distant mountains. When I first moved here I felt like I lived in a painting. Now I have to remember to take notice because I'm so use to living in the painting.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:08 PM

462 posts, read 1,011,029 times
Speaking for the High Plains in Eastern New Mexico (Clovis) sitting at 4,200 feet on the Caprock or llano; most clouds from the monsoonal flow pass overhead us probably due to our elevation, only to release rain in close by flatter West Texas. We have gotten our fair share for the last six years..... Speaking of the monsoons, some information: Winds shift from a west or northwest direction to a south or southeasterly direction. This allows moisture from the Gulf of California and the Gulf of Mexico to stream into the states of Arizona and New Mexico. We are always ready to get the monsoons and look forward to it; this year in particular because there was so much of a drought before the monsoons came.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico