Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 09:56 PM

203 posts, read 714,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!!!! That is almost as bad as everybody else in the US other than the SW mistaking New Mexico for a foreign country...LOL!!
Heck. I've had people from Texas ask me if the local businesses would accept american money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
Heck. I've had people from Texas ask me if the local businesses would accept american money...
Now that IS bad. I've never heard of anybody from Texas not knowing that NM is in the good old USA.

How ignorant!!!!

They must be transplants!! LOL!!

Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Default Storm watching

Quote:
IAs for storm watching: this area is where warm moist air moving up from the Gulf of Mexico loops back east against the Sangre de Cristos and meets the cooler air moving down from the north. The thunderstorms that wreak havoc on the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandles form here, you can watch their full growth cycle from the edge of town.
That sounds fascinating, as long as you get to watch them rather than be under them. I presently live in Fort Worth, TX, and I get to be in a lot of them. I suppose LV is on the far edge of that. I don't mind a t-storm occasionally, but I can do without big hail and tornado warnings. I've seen softball sized hail in my yard (and heard it on top of the ceiling after it passed through the roof).

Old 10-31-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That sounds fascinating, as long as you get to watch them rather than be under them. I presently live in Fort Worth, TX, and I get to be in a lot of them. I suppose LV is on the far edge of that. I don't mind a t-storm occasionally, but I can do without big hail and tornado warnings. I've seen softball sized hail in my yard (and heard it on top of the ceiling after it passed through the roof).
I grew up in Amarillo, first memory of a tornado is of one that took off our roof when I was four. Las Vegas gets some good electric shows and the odd pea-size hail shower, but no tornadoes. We just watch the storms build and pummel places to the east. A tornado touched down in open range south of Santa Fe this past Spring. The twister was barely more than a dust devil, but shocked commuters on I 25 overwhelmed 911 with panicked calls... first tornado around here in more than 20 years. The real hazard here is flash floods in the arroyos.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I was within 3 mile of the tornado that hit downtown Ft Worth in 2000. Way too close for comfort! Did the tornado south of Santa Fe cause any damage, or did it just freak everyone out? I can see how flash floods in the arroyos would be dangerous, but I imagine the water is more than welcome. I think I've spent enough time in Tornado Alley. LV sounds like heaven for a weather watcher.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:12 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
catman wondered:

> Did the tornado south of Santa Fe cause any damage,
> or did it just freak everyone out?

It *did* freak everyone out, but it was really just a big dust devil - size wise. It might have tipped a small SUV, U-Haul or made a corolla dance.

There is a good video of the tornado here:

YouTube - tornado 6.9.07 near santa fe (santo domingo overpass)

Old 11-01-2007, 03:31 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
I have resided in LVNM for about 7 years. I am Anglo in my mid-40s. I have had no unusual problems due to ethnicity or whatever. I suspect many anglo visitors or short term residents in LV simply suffer from shock at not belonging to the local ethnic majority. Like any place and in any community, respect breeds respect.

I have started and built three (going on four) businesses in town and have not encountered any unusual resistance... I play 9 ball in the local pool league, never any hassle.

I own a house on the "bad side" of town, my neighbors have done awful things like lend me a truck when mine had a blow-out and I was late for a meeting (I didn't ask, he came out and offered), help me stack my firewood for the winter, (again, without my asking)and invite my wife and me to join in a daughter's quinceanera celebration as a way to meet the folks in the area. Awful just awful.

As for storm watching: this area is where warm moist air moving up from the Gulf of Mexico loops back east against the Sangre de Cristos and meets the cooler air moving down from the north. The thunderstorms that wreak havoc on the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandles form here, you can watch their full growth cycle from the edge of town.
What would LV be like for a middle-aged bachelor. Any middle-aged single ladies in town?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
What would LV be like for a middle-aged bachelor. Any middle-aged single ladies in town?
The female:male ratio is about 101f:90m

Quick answer: yes

Long answer: Big complaint among professional women here is the eligible male shortage.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:49 AM

7 posts, read 15,576 times
Default My Take

I live in Las Vegas, NM and I am that rare bird that is an anglo who has lived here much of my life; we moved here when I was five. There is discrimination here against anglos and anyone who says there isn't has their head in the sand. Having said that, the amount of discrimination you will face will depend a great deal on your attitude, your wealth, and time in place and who you run into. Not every Hispanic is a race baiter. If you are not a local (lived here at least 15 years) you will be treated differently if you are anglo. People will put on a smile and take your money (everyone loves green) but don't expect to be accepted and don't expect to make friends. There are pockets like out at the World College but unless you stay in these little pockets expect a hard time. I can relate to the guy who wrote about his daughter getting into fights because of her ethnicity. As a kid in the 70s that happened to me all the time. It still does according to the white kids I talk with around town.

Having said all of that I would make two points. (1) Like anything else in life, if you make the effort and take the time (lots of time) then many of those walls of hostility will break down. People here are sensitive to the slightest percieved slight and their memories are long. But if you go out of your way to make it happen, it will. Just don't expect people to kiss white ass. (2) Las Vegas is slowly changing. More and more this is becoming a bedroom community for Santa Fe. 2/3 of all adults are employed in Santa Fe. There is a lot of white retired people (mostly from CA) who are settling around Las Vegas. Currently, we are coming up to our local elections and the most popular person to run for mayor is a white woman, something never seen or heard before. I don't know if she will win but it's a sign of the times.

In short there is discrimination against anglos here and has been for a long time. But if you make an effort it won't be as bad as you have heard. And my own observation is that Las Vegas is changing, slowly but it is.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:06 PM

7 posts, read 15,576 times
Quote:
The female:male ratio is about 101f:90m

Quick answer: yes

Long answer: Big complaint among professional women here is the eligible male shortage.
I am becoming more and more convinced you are a troll. I keep trying to place you and I can't. However, I will be honest that I don't know everyone in town and having lived here so long I have my own ciricle. So maybe not a troll. But there are so few anglos here we tend to know at least who each other are...Unless that J stand for Joel...then I have you.

In any event, I really don't know what he is talking about. As a SWM in his 40s I can assure you there are no, zip, zero, single women in this age group that you would want to date....well, I don't know your standards so I can't say. But if froggie would a wooing go he is going to scrape the bottom of the barrel here in that age group. Take a look at Yahoo.com or one of the other personal sites. It will give you a good image of what's here. Most guys go to ABQ or Santa Fe for dates, which isn't a bad deal though the communting can be a pain after some time. But local, in town, there is nothing unless your ideal date is a drunken ***** in your bed Sunday morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico