Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 05:33 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Yup, fire danger is going to sky rocket. Their have been 3 fires on the mountain in the last 9 days. 2 East of Cloudcroft and 1 South of High Rolls.
If we don't get some moisture and soon I would look for the forest to close.
If you all on the mountain have not already done it PLEASE make sure your home and surrounding land is fire safe.
It can be expensive to have it done but well worth the $$ in case of a wildfire!
Can you explain the fire safe and what needs to be done. Last year we didn't really have to worry about it, so any new ideas for us who are new to the Mts it would help us get ready.

Thanks,
Jane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 09:28 PM

502 posts, read 1,380,359 times
Jane, here are some tips to help you out and to also help out any fire fighters that may need to work in your area.
This may get kind of long.
First some of the things that you can do or have done.
Clear out from around your house, thin the trees to where the upper limbs are not touching each other.
Anything flamable around your house needs to be moved away, stacks of firewood on the deck, gas cans, etc.
Cut ladder fuels, this can be brush that can catch fire and start the limbs on an overhead tree on fire or may just be the limbs from the tree itself. The rule of thumb on tree limbs is cut them flush with the trunk of the tree up to around 8 to 10 feet off the ground.
Clean out underbrush from around the house.
Do this for an area about 100 feet in all directions from your house
Rake leaves, pine needles etc down to bare ground.
If you have a deck or porch make sure that the bottom is enclosed. Embers from a wildland fire can blow up under a deck/porch and catch it on fire.
Same thing with open eaves and vents, they can allow embers into the interior of a house.
The state forestry department has grant money avaliable to pay a percentage of the thining projects.
Their are alot of folks that have them come in and look your land over.
Problem is they want ALOT of trees cut and most folks on the mountain don't want to live on a bare hillside. So they either go their own route and do it them selves or in most cases hire a professional cutter who does it for them.
A good professional sawyer should be able to thin the area, leave you plenty of trees and make it fire safe at the same time AND not cut to the depth that state forestry does. Their are alot of good sawyers that are also fire fighters and can do you a good job.
The one problem is in Timberon it is a LONG way for one of these folks to drive daily to do the job. That equals $$ but again, what is your home worth.
In the event that things start to really look bad as far as fire danger there are some things that you can do that will help fire personnel in case of a fire.
A big one is to make sure that your address is displayed where it can be seen from the main road.
Make sure that a big truck can get into your house, overhead limbs cut etc.
Pre-lay garden hoses around your house. If you have a ladder that will reach your roof leave it out where it can be seen (we would rather not have to pull a ladder from a truck to access your roof and most brush trucks don't have ladders anyway)
Mark with flags where your septic tank is. A brush truck is not a problem but if a full size pumper drives over a septic it is possible to put it IN the tank!
If you have to leave your home. Leave a note on the door with contact information as to where you are going and how you can be contacted.
Close all interior and exterior doors as well as all windows.
If you have items against the walls inside the house that are flammable move them to the center of the room. You can have the cement board siding but if it gets hot enough on the wall the radiant heat can start fires on the inside.
If you have to leave, drive carefuly, smoke can make for very dangerous driving conditions. Watch for your neighbors who are also leaving and watch for fire equipment coming into the area.
I think I have hit the highlights and that is about it.
It may be worth the time, dollars and effort to contact someone and just have them come out and do an evaluation on your place to give you an idea on the work that needs to be done.
If I can answer any specific questions please, and this goes for all the folks on the mountain, e-mail me at mtncat@tularosa.net

Old 02-25-2008, 06:47 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,683 times
Mtncat,
Thanks for the great information!!!!
We just cut down 4 trees to close to the house but have more to do. But they built the deck around the trees. Will do that next year.
You gave me - us a lot to think of and will be working on it to get things done.
Jane

Old 02-25-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Mtncat,
Thanks for the great information!!!!
We just cut down 4 trees to close to the house but have more to do. But they built the deck around the trees. Will do that next year.
You gave me - us a lot to think of and will be working on it to get things done.
Jane
Not a problem. Trees through decks are always fun.
Did an inspection for an insurance company a couple of years ago.
People had not only several trees through the decks but had one that they had built the house around. Right up through the center of the house, they had tar that they packed around it so it would not leak.
Let me know if you need any more info.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:45 AM

143 posts, read 364,900 times
Mtncat..

You are so right...........as you drive through Timberon - there are soo many lots that are nothing but brush (fire tinder). We had our lot cleared & thinned last fall. We had checked into the available grant $ - & again you are correct...they would have required most of our beautiful trees be taken out.......NOT HAPPENING! However, there are at least 2 guys that do a great job of thinning/clearing out your property. My husband helped & it wasn't terribly expensive. It is pretty scary with so little moisture & so much fuel for fire!!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear's Mom View Post
Mtncat..

You are so right...........as you drive through Timberon - there are soo many lots that are nothing but brush (fire tinder). We had our lot cleared & thinned last fall. We had checked into the available grant $ - & again you are correct...they would have required most of our beautiful trees be taken out.......NOT HAPPENING! However, there are at least 2 guys that do a great job of thinning/clearing out your property. My husband helped & it wasn't terribly expensive. It is pretty scary with so little moisture & so much fuel for fire!!
The bad thing is that the majority of places look this bad on the mountain.
The cost, depending on where you are and the extent of the cutting is not so bad. A full blown forestry cut will run at least $1,000.00 and acre.
A person can do ALOT to make their home fire safe without cutting that much and for less money.
Problem is people don't want to spend the money.
A couple of years ago one insurance company did inspections on most of the property in the mountains that they covered.
A very in depth review of the property. Pretty much told people that if they wanted thier homes insured then they would make them fire safe.
I did over 1000 inspections for this company in Otero and Lincoln county.
I would say that only about 30% were truly safe.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:31 PM

Mtncat:
Since you mentioned insurance - I have heard & read that homes in highl fire areas - especially log homes are easier to insure & at lower rates with metal rooofs...........do you know if that is the case? I assume the standard ins. companies are in area? Any info is appreciated............ thx
j

Old 02-25-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear's Mom View Post
Mtncat:
Since you mentioned insurance - I have heard & read that homes in highl fire areas - especially log homes are easier to insure & at lower rates with metal rooofs...........do you know if that is the case? I assume the standard ins. companies are in area? Any info is appreciated............ thx
j
Metal roofs will help. There is also a product on the market, can't recall the name off the top of my head but will get it tomorrow as I have some in the shop, it is sprayed on. It is designed to fireproof log homes etc.
If it is applied by one of their certified people it has a lifetime guarantee not to burn. We used this on a BIG remodel this last year and I did some testing with it on some scrap wood. Pretty impressive stuff.
Does not change the color of the wood or have any odor at all.
Insurance companies are kind of strange, some will look at reduced rates for doing things like metal roofs and making the area fire safe. Others pretty much don't pay much attention and some will inspect the place and tell you to make it fire safe or they will drop your insurance.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:26 PM

Thanks Mtncat..........
That fireproofing stuff sounds very interesting! Will definitely check it out when I have a name.........if you don't mind .....we will ask more questions /advice/input when we actually have the house up or to the point where we need to have insurance on it. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 PM

Feel free to ask away. I make at least part of my income now from a variety of things, home fire safe inspections and clearing, assisting people build their dream home etc.
BUT first and foremost I like to see people do the right thing when it comes to making their home safe for both them and me when I'm the one that shows up in the big red truck.
Let me know when you need some info. I love to make the drive up there and have lunch and would gladly drop by and offer some free advice. Well it may cost ya a cup of coffee
That also applies to any of the folks here who wish to get some ideas on how to improve their safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico