Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 05:31 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,933 times

Advertisements

Not sure of the mile marker, but its right after you go through the border patrol.
Be sure you don't miss the marker that thakes you to Timberon.
Price of gas?? not sure, its more than down below the Mts, but the companies charge more to bring it in.
Now if you value your car, go to Cloudcroft and come in the paved road. Yes it takes more time but repairs cost more. Also not sure how the road is as part of it goes through an arroyo. I know it was washed out in July or Aug with the rain.
I have not traveled this way to Timberon, but BIL did and got two flat tires. Be sure to have plug kits..
Not sure if this helps.
Jane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 05:41 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
I'll drive out there later on today and find out the mile marker for you !!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:06 AM

14 posts, read 35,869 times
ok thanks,

Old 09-08-2008, 09:59 AM

775 posts, read 2,587,688 times
Default A Neat Drive

That Road from 54 to Timberon through the Back Country sounds like a Neat Drive. What Kind of Scenery is in that Area? Is it State or Federal Land? County Road? How far is it to Timberon from 54? Are there any Camping Spots along the Way? Are the Canyons Deep? pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 AM

I just got back and the Border Patrol Checkpoint is at Mile Marker 41. I u-turned at about 500 yrds before the Checkpoint so i didn't see the road although Jane says it's right next to it but if they see you turn around right next to them they'll send the BP after you and search you and your vehicle as i didn't want that hassle today....lol....

So the turnoff is at Mile Marker 41 .....Jane??

Old 09-08-2008, 11:37 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
Default Backroad to timberon

Gas is over $4 a galllon. Another thing to consider is, if you breakdown or get too many flats, your cell phone may not work out there. There is no cell phone coverage in Timberon unless you get on the western cliffs overlooking Alamogordo.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I just got back and the Border Patrol Checkpoint is at Mile Marker 41. I u-turned at about 500 yrds before the Checkpoint so i didn't see the road although Jane says it's right next to it but if they see you turn around right next to them they'll send the BP after you and search you and your vehicle as i didn't want that hassle today....lol....

So the turnoff is at Mile Marker 41 .....Jane??
Harry, I would say that is about right. If you look east you will see the road going through the desert. And that is all Fort Bliss range. Don't get off the road.
Song is right about no cell phone service, and not to many use that road, so be prepared.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:01 PM

14 posts, read 35,869 times
ok thanks. i guess ill go up threw cloudcroft and take the fourwheeler down to 54 and see how bad it is.
i jsut got a piece of property up there the adress 194 hoover dr.
i was wondering if there was a markers or poles on any of the properties. or any way to tell properties apart

Old 09-08-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Harry, I would say that is about right. If you look east you will see the road going through the desert. And that is all Fort Bliss range. Don't get off the road.
Song is right about no cell phone service, and not to many use that road, so be prepared.
Yeah looking across the desert had me thinking that you better make sure your vehicle is in good working order as i'd sure hate to breakdown out there. Feel more secure taking the paved road up to Cloudcroft to Sunspot and over to Timberon.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfindodge View Post
ok thanks. i guess ill go up threw cloudcroft and take the fourwheeler down to 54 and see how bad it is.
i jsut got a piece of property up there the adress 194 hoover dr.
i was wondering if there was a markers or poles on any of the properties. or any way to tell properties apart
Go to Roberts Realty and get a good map of the city. They are around $7.00. If you have your unit and parcel numbers that would help. Looking on the map, you are near Pipeweld and Apache Flats property.
Good luck with your trip.
Jane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico