Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 03:24 PM

908 posts, read 2,853,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Thanks for your addressing my question, but I don't fit into any of those.
I was afraid you'd read it that way. By saying there was three main bodies, I didn't mean to suggest there are only three. Simply that those are the big three. When I talked about grass-roots type stuff later on, I was giving a nod to an outlet for the kind of work you're interested in doing. There are plenty of venues and shows for good, handmade art in New Mexico. I'm just saying for what you're doing, look for the smaller, non-juried shows.

Quote:
That Trader Jack's flea market, what's it all about? I mean does Jack have the building and you rent a table or booth for him? Or consignment? I have no frame of reference here.
Sadly, Trader Jack is out of the picture these days and the Flea Market has come under different ownership. Basically, you show up early in the a.m., you pay for a space at the building/concession up front. And you pull around, park and set up right out of your vehicle. Obviously, there are some big regulars that have custom tents and reserved slots and so on, but for the rest, you just find your spot and set up. Generally you're responsible for everything else, so for example, bring your own folding table, chairs, shade maker and cooler with iced beverages. If you don't want to eat up part of your profits (literally) bring a sandwich. It's good to have a friend with to kill time and to help keep an eye on things, especially to get a break. The best intentioned neighbors will be completely oblivious if they start to get a sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 04:21 PM

946 posts, read 3,266,190 times
Default Soft soap

Quote:
Thanks for your addressing my question, but I don't fit into any of those.

The craft that I can do now is stained glass.

The hand made soap again isn't Spanish, isn't Indian, isn't fine art.
Lovehound,

I don't want to be difficult or sound negative. But there is a reality about the art market in Santa Fe and perhaps all of New Mexico.

Outsiders come here looking for Indian -- jewelry, weaving, pottery, Indian themed painting -- or Hispanic -- weaving, tin work, Spanish Colonial furniture.

Stained glass? We never finished Bishop Lamy's cathedral, which stands with truncated towers near the plaza. And we never will.

And when I decorate my home I look for southwestern which means the same thing plus Mexican.

But soap?

That is a different matter. You can sell a nice smelling soap.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:24 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,753 times
I like your art ziaAirmac. I dabble in tinwork--am starting to think about a design to replace the glass in a cabinet with tin so you can't see the TV.

Lovehound--I started asking people at the studio what they do with their pieces. I'm going to have to find somewhere eventually for the same reason--how many pots can I use. It would be nice to at least recover the costs of the hobby. Eldorado is having an Art Walk May 17 & 18 with 100 artists but you have to live in Eldorado. I think there are more opportunities when you start looking. If I find anything out, I'll let you know.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:13 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
Sadly, Trader Jack is out of the picture these days and the Flea Market has come under different ownership. Basically, you show up early in the a.m., you pay for a space at the building/concession up front. And you pull around, park and set up right out of your vehicle. Obviously, there are some big regulars that have custom tents and reserved slots and so on, but for the rest, you just find your spot and set up. Generally you're responsible for everything else, so for example, bring your own folding table, chairs, shade maker and cooler with iced beverages. If you don't want to eat up part of your profits (literally) bring a sandwich. It's good to have a friend with to kill time and to help keep an eye on things, especially to get a break. The best intentioned neighbors will be completely oblivious if they start to get a sale.
That might work for me. Here in Los Angeles we have (or had) a monthly thing called the TRW Swap Meet, where ham radio, electronics and computer enthusiasts met to buy and sell their ham, PC and electronic gear. (TRW is a big electronics manufacturer.) I used to go almost every month and sell out of the back of my car with a table and all that just like you described. It always worked well for me, enough so that I was buying stuff from distributors then selling them at the TRW meet. So I'd fit right in!

Please let me know if you hear what a single space goes for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
I don't want to be difficult or sound negative. But there is a reality about the art market in Santa Fe and perhaps all of New Mexico.

Outsiders come here looking for Indian -- jewelry, weaving, pottery, Indian themed painting -- or Hispanic -- weaving, tin work, Spanish Colonial furniture.

Stained glass? We never finished Bishop Lamy's cathedral, which stands with truncated towers near the plaza. And we never will.

And when I decorate my home I look for southwestern which means the same thing plus Mexican.

But soap?

That is a different matter. You can sell a nice smelling soap.
Yeah, that's the whole point about hand made soap. It has natural ingredients (no dead animals, no chemicals), it feels good on your skin, it smells nice, it's even pretty. People anywhere would like it if they tried it.

Perhaps the stained glass wouldn't be so hot. It too is not a Southwestern thing, not at all, but people anywhere still like it.

And yeah, I too seek Southwestern stuff for my own house. I can't wait to get my first Indian blanket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Lovehound--I started asking people at the studio what they do with their pieces. I'm going to have to find somewhere eventually for the same reason--how many pots can I use. It would be nice to at least recover the costs of the hobby. Eldorado is having an Art Walk May 17 & 18 with 100 artists but you have to live in Eldorado. I think there are more opportunities when you start looking. If I find anything out, I'll let you know.
Thanks! Yeah, that's what I want too, to be able to recover the costs and maybe make a bit of profit to supplement my Social Security when I retire. And also as an excuse to get out and meet people.

I used to have a hell of a lot of fun at my TRW meets, talking to friends, talking to strangers and customers, kidding around with them, perhaps negotiating the price. One time I got into a bidding war to sell an item and I finally went negative just for fun, offering to pay the buyer cash plus give him the merchandise. We were all laughing. It was only 40-50 cents negative, but I did it just to have done it.

You and I are in the same boat since I've seen your pottery and it's pretty but is by no means Native American. Maybe that swap meet will work out and if I move to SF we can perhaps share a space, you selling your pots and me my soap. That would work out all the way around. Please let me know if you get any more information.

I agree that most of the people are looking for Southwestern stuff, Georgia O'Keeffe type art, Native jewelry, rugs and pots, etc., but handicrafts have universal appeal and people going to swap meets are particularly susceptible to impulse buying, so it might work out for us. Particularly for me with the soap selling for perhaps $4-$8 per, which isn't too steep for a "what the heck" purchase.

Actually I could tilt some of my products Southwestern. I could use scents related to the Southwest, cedar, juniper, etc., and perhaps spices too. Anybody for chili soap? j/k

Old 05-09-2008, 12:25 PM

908 posts, read 2,853,959 times
Quote:
Actually I could tilt some of my products Southwestern. I could use scents related to the Southwest, cedar, juniper, etc., and perhaps spices too. Anybody for chili soap? j/k
You're not that far off. My wife and I's favorite morning java is a local blend with pinon in it. Our favorite incense has local pinon and and cedar in it. And as for chili, you can pick up green chili in jam and candy!

Old 05-09-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Haven't been to Trader Jack's since I've been back--now the Tesuque Flea Market. I enjoyed going there and I'd be willing to talk about selling there with you. There's a number to call on their site for more info.
Tesuque Pueblo Flea Market - History

Not everyone here only buys southwestern. I know I have no problem getting my rejects to disappear from the free table in the cantina at work even though they are not southwestern. There is a large community of potters making all kinds of ceramics. I think there is a stained glass artist in the Design Center--I don't know why it wouldn't sell here--all that sunlight coming through would be pretty.

I talked to my teacher at the studio and she said there are a couple of large arts and crafts shows in ABQ. Here are some other suggestions: one guy sells to people he works with--I might try that with my candle pots, his partner sells pottery on-line, Art Walks (I'd really like to try one of those someday), artist co-ops, other festivals--I want to put a trade blanket out at rendezvous--handmade soap would be a good thing at history events--rendezvous--SCA events. I bet there are all kinds of things when you start looking.

Green chili soap! It would make me hungry to smell like that. At las Golondrinas yesterday after baking bread in the hornos they threw some chilis on the coals. Talk about getting hungry! After all the children left at 2 they served lunch to the volunteers of green chili chicken enchiladas and red chili vegetarian enchiladas. Very good.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
Our favorite incense has local pinon and and cedar in it.
I really love my incense blocks that are made right in SF by Incienso de Santa Fe. Get their 7 scent sampler, about 50 pieces for $7.75. This incense always reminds me of camping. In fact I'm out, need to order more.

In fact your place and my place might even be the same place.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Haven't been to Trader Jack's since I've been back--now the Tesuque Flea Market. I enjoyed going there and I'd be willing to talk about selling there with you. There's a number to call on their site for more info.
Tesuque Pueblo Flea Market - History

Not everyone here only buys southwestern. I know I have no problem getting my rejects to disappear from the free table in the cantina at work even though they are not southwestern. There is a large community of potters making all kinds of ceramics. I think there is a stained glass artist in the Design Center--I don't know why it wouldn't sell here--all that sunlight coming through would be pretty.

I talked to my teacher at the studio and she said there are a couple of large arts and crafts shows in ABQ. Here are some other suggestions: one guy sells to people he works with--I might try that with my candle pots, his partner sells pottery on-line, Art Walks (I'd really like to try one of those someday), artist co-ops, other festivals--I want to put a trade blanket out at rendezvous--handmade soap would be a good thing at history events--rendezvous--SCA events. I bet there are all kinds of things when you start looking.

Green chili soap! It would make me hungry to smell like that. At las Golondrinas yesterday after baking bread in the hornos they threw some chilis on the coals. Talk about getting hungry! After all the children left at 2 they served lunch to the volunteers of green chili chicken enchiladas and red chili vegetarian enchiladas. Very good.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, that's why people like stained glass, why I like it. The light coming through is really pretty. Can also be made into lamps and candle holders.

Those candle pots sound great! I presume you pour wax and wick them yourself.

The green chili soap was a joke. Some people even have to wear gloves to prepare chilis for use in cooking recipes. Nobody would be able to use green chili soap. It might look good and smell good though.

Yeah if I move to SF I could go down to Duke City once or twice a month to sell stuff, and probably go shopping too I need something that I can't find in SF.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:00 PM

946 posts, read 3,266,190 times
Default juniper berries

They flavor gin with juniper berries. Maybe a juniper berry soap would work?

There certainly are a lot of junipers around here. It is a gender thing -- only the females have the berries.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Those candle pots sound great! I presume you pour wax and wick them yourself.

The green chili soap was a joke. Some people even have to wear gloves to prepare chilis for use in cooking recipes. Nobody would be able to use green chili soap. It might look good and smell good though.
Yes, and scent them. Hmm..green chili candles? That might work better. Oh I bet you could sell green chili soap to a tourist as a historic Spanish cure for sore feet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico