Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,179,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I've never heard of problems with bacteria - could happen, I suppose. Especially if left idle for days on end between uses and if the water source isn't potable to begin with.
My statement reflects a long period of my life when swamp coolers were virtually the only means of cooling homes in the desert southwest. I have never in my long life known anyone who blamed an illness on their swamp cooler exposure. That could be because science simply hadn't yet recognized the cause of many pulmonary diseases "back then."

I can recall the first highly publicized incident that gave "Legionnaire" disease its name. It was a very puzzling episode where a number of delegates to a convention of the American Legion contracted respiratory distress. It was only later, after a lot of investigation, that the cooling system for the convention center was found to be the culprit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 AM

26 posts, read 42,687 times
Thanks for all the replies. I just got an education in old A/C systems. I never heard of a swamp cooler before and I worked for a A/C contractor for a while and my one son has been an HVAC tech/installer for over 15 years.

I would love to be able to go to SE NM for about a month or so to check it out. My other option is Gulf Shores, AL. which is also heaven. LOL from the beach to the inland high desert. Now that's a hoot! And no matter what I do I need big bucks to make the move, which of course I don't have. I sell Avon and just closed a little storefront boutique in our little "downtown" area. Typical Southern small town Main St. mentality. They still thinks it's the 1940's and they don't support Yankee businesses. And no I'm not being mean, just realistic. I am and always will be an outsider even if if I yelled Roll Tide or War Eagle daily. My ST Louis roots are deep and as thick as is my "accent" after living here for 12 years.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:18 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,840,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Dixie View Post
I just got an education in old A/C systems. I never heard of a swamp cooler before and I worked for a A/C contractor for a while and my one son has been an HVAC tech/installer for over 15 years.
There is a long thread here on the subject, "swamp coolers" only work in dry climates: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...rated-air.html

Good luck to you.

Rich

Old 01-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
There is a long thread here on the subject, "swamp coolers" only work in dry climates: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...rated-air.html

Good luck to you.

Rich
Thanks. I read a few of the posts and will check out a few more. I'm wondering how these things work on removing dust and pet damder from the air like a regular filter does. Maybe the answer will be found in some of the other posts.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 PM

4,887 posts, read 4,828,714 times
Quote:
Thanks. I read a few of the posts and will check out a few more. I'm wondering how these things work on removing dust and pet damder from the air like a regular filter does. Maybe the answer will be found in some of the other posts.
They wouldn't remove it because there is no air return on an evaporative cooler. It only blows air in and you have to leave a window or windows slightly open for the warmer air to escape.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
Cooling the air and filtering the air are different functions. Placing a "furnace/AC" filter on the inlet of the cooler would clean the air and reduce clogging of the evaporator mesh as well as keeping dust out of the house. "Swamp" evaporative coolers work by lowering the temperature of the dry incoming air by evaporating water into the flow. The temperature drops by supplying the energy for the evaporation (Remember heat of vaporization from HS physics) and is limited by the dryness of the incoming air. The air supplied to the living space id both cooled and humidified.

Swamp coolers are not used in "swampy" areas because the relative humidity of the incoming air is already nearly saturated with water so little evaporation can occur. Humid climates require mechanical refrigeration to cool and dehumidify the air.

Back to the OP – given your likely medical requirements I suggest looking somewhere in Albuquerque or very nearby.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Placing a "furnace/AC" filter on the inlet of the cooler would clean the air and reduce clogging of the evaporator mesh as well as keeping dust out of the house.
That is just not going to work.

Normally here isn't an "inlet", there are usually at least three or four. Each inlet is large, normally larger than consumer sized "furnace/AC" filters.

If you get such a kludge constructed you have now effectively greatly decreased the cooler air capacity volume.
Airflow for evaporative coolers is typically higher than conventional air conditioning systems. Most are at least 3,000 cubic feet per minute (CFM) and above of volume flow...

Rich

Old 01-09-2012, 08:16 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,196,385 times
Quote:
Placing a "furnace/AC" filter on the inlet of the cooler would clean the air and reduce clogging of the evaporator mesh as well as keeping dust out of the house.
Over 99% of the clogging of evaporator mesh comes from scale present in the tap water fed to the cooler pump. I agree that attempting to add filters in this manner is an exercise in wasted time.

NM houses aren't appreciably dusty in the summer months, though you'll often get a bit of sand-sized crud out of your cooler during startup (again caused by aforementioned scale more than anything else).

The unmodified cooler also does far more than people give it credit for in terms of pulling dust and pollen out of the air; particulates tend to be sticky and a cascade of water is very effective at decreasing particulate count.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:52 AM

Thank you once again for all the swamp cooler clarifications. I think a regular A/C is what I need since I have dogs, allergies and mold, dust, dander are bad for me.

Now back to the weather. I see SE NM is going to get another blizzard today. Up to 10" of snow and temps into the teens for lows. Gulf Shores is looking better all the time.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
We drove to Las Vegas NV in 2007 and took I-40. We stopped overnight in Moriarity on the way to LV and then 1 night in ABQ on the way back to Ala. If I wanted to live in NM with no snow, winter temps no lower than 40F, summers any temp where would I live?
Quote:
Now back to the weather. I see SE NM is going to get another blizzard today. Up to 10" of snow and temps into the teens for lows. Gulf Shores is looking better all the time.
No place in New Mexico is completely snow free or has winter lows that stay above 40°F.

I grew up in Florida and spent some time in Alabama years ago. The Gulf Shores might be good for you. We do occasionally do miss the ocean...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico