Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:13 AM

28 posts, read 242,169 times

Advertisements

Looks like we might end up moving to the Farmington area. It seems that I remember reading somewhere on one of these threads that there was some problems between Indians and Mexicans. Am I remembering right?

My husband and I are white and so is my youngest son, but my 2 older kids are from a previous marriage and are part mexican/argentinian. They don't look totally white, but don't look that mexican either. Is that a problem down there? I don't want to put them in an uncomfortable situation if I can help it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 09:54 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
You are going to find some racism no matter where you go, and NM is no different. There are some racial tensions between the local Anglos, Hispanics, and Navajo, but they my no means represent the majority of the population. Most people do their best to get along with each other.

I don't know much about the Farmington area, because I grew up on the other side of the state. I am as white as they come (aside from perhaps Barry Manilow and John Tesh), and my best friends throughout school were white, Hispanic, Chinese, and mixed ethnicities. Yes, you would run into the occasional bigot in town, but such people are a very rare minority. I knew many mixed race couples, and in high school, everyone dated everyone. It wasn't a big deal.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:15 AM

827 posts, read 5,078,951 times
Djstorey, like Mark S. said, it isn't a big deal in NM since there already is a large mix of races anyway. Farmington, is the same. I know of Natives who are friends with Whites and Hispanics too. There doesn't seem to be any friction. There are always a few bigots anywhere you go, but for the most part, you will have no trouble in Farmington. I have all three races in my family, where my brother married a Latina and another who is seriously dating a Native American and one lives near Farmington and another in ABQ and they have no trouble at all.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the comments! I know there is some racism everwhere. I was just thinking of that one comment that I read somewhere that mentioned a possible problem between hispanics and indians and was a little concerned.

It's always hardest on kids, especially since kids can be so mean to each other! Moving is hard enough on them already.

Thanks again!

Old 09-16-2006, 11:33 PM

827 posts, read 5,078,951 times
You are welcome Djstorey! Good Luck on your move!

Old 10-01-2006, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 10,324 times
Farmington..... wow, I could say so much. I try to keep a positive attitude when I post anything in forums, but Farmington has left such a bad taste in my mouth. Racisim IS abundant in Farmington. I am white and grew up about 70 miles south-west of Farmington on the Navajo reservation. I experienced racism first hand. When I was 16, we moved to Farmington and I completed High School there (actually I went to High School in Farmington and Kirtland). I also went to San Juan College and worked for the City of Farmingotn for 2 years before I got completly fed up with the bruacracy and blatant discrimination. My daughter is half Mexican-American and that is/was the deciding factor as to why I left. Because people would sterotype, even telling me "I'm sorry" about her ethnicity....... WTH?

I once recomended a Navajo woman, who had been volunteering for me at the time, for a position with the City. I was personally told, "do you really think that's a good idea" by my supervisor who felt that this woman wouldn't fit in with the established employees because of her race. I've overheard conversations in City Hall about "cracking down on the Mexicans". I just couldn't take it anymore and I left. But I will tell you that I have since learned that even in a city of 4 million, where whites are the minority... racisim still exists and it makes me ill every day.

I wouldn't necessarily recomend living in Farmington. It has many good qualities, and I can't leave that out.... but I would contend that racism and environmental husbandry are the biggest problems there and it is so sad.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:14 AM

Thanks all of you for your opinions. If it was just me and my husband moving there, I couldn't care less, however, I do have kids and 2 of them are 1/2 white and 1/2 hispanic so I do worry about them.

It still looks like Farmington might be the place where we end up, but we are trying really hard to get Grand Junction instead. Hopefully we find out this week what the verdict is.

If Farmington is what the offer is, we will have to have a long talk about it before we actually accept the job. All your comments have really helped and will definitely give us something to discuss.

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2006, 09:12 AM

66 posts, read 489,208 times
We live in Farmington...it is OK. I would prefer GJ over this wasteland. yes there are navajo's and they are what they are. they do not like whitey. I truely believe being a father of 2 5&3 that they teach their children from birth the same I see it in the playgrounds. the only green @ here is the river bottoms.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 10,316 times
Farmington, isn't all that bad, yes like everyone has posted, there will be tension between individuals, but otherwise it's ok. I would have to disagree with Wildfan about Navajo's not liking Caucasian individuals. I apologize for any bad experiences you've had with Navajo's. But from my perspective, two of my very very close friends aren't Navajo's. Rather they are Caucasian, I have their trust undoubtedly. There will be individuals who aren't so very fond of other ethnic groups, but hey it's there problem, not ours right? So overall, I'd give Farmington a 6.7 out of 10... for the outdoors, beauty, and great weather...

Old 10-03-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reftech View Post
There will be individuals who aren't so very fond of other ethnic groups, but hey it's there problem, not ours right?
Thanks for your input. I like your attitude!

I realize that there will always be some kind of racial problems, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't any worse than most areas. I can't remember what the thread was that I saw somewhere, but it mentioned a problem between the hispanics and the Navajo's if I remember right. Being that 2 of my kids are 1/2 hispanic, I didn't want them in a bad situation. They don't really look all that hispanic, but some people realize they are and they have a hispanic last name.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Yac; 10-04-2006 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: quote fixed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico