Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,193,916 times

Advertisements

Taos-NM-named-among-20-Best-Small-Towns
By the venerable SMITHSONIAN MAGAZINE May Issue:

Quote:
2. Taos, NM
Modern art, ancient history and counter culture in the luminous high desert.

Beyond Santa Fe, the high road (Highway 76) and the low road (Highway 68) are both beautiful routes to little Taos in the enchanted upper valley of the Rio Grande. Before the counterculture found it in the 1960s, before Spanish missionaries and mountain men like Kit Carson arrived, even before the building of the Taos pueblo in the 15th century, the Anasazi were here, leaving their ghosts to walk in the shadow of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. These days tourists, seekers, skiers and other outdoor enthusiasts pack the plaza of the old adobe town, dabble in its many galleries and museums, delve into history at the 1804 Spanish Colonial Martinez Hacienda and attend concerts (the Music from Angel Fire is a world-class chamber music festival). But Taos (pop. 5,700) still speaks most compellingly to writers, photographers and artists who, like Georgia O’Keeffe and D.H. Lawrence before them, come for the flash of a passing spirit and the quality of the light. -- SS

Read more: The 20 Best Small Towns in America | Travel | Smithsonian Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 PM

7,898 posts, read 11,457,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Taos-NM-named-among-20-Best-Small-Towns
By the venerable SMITHSONIAN MAGAZINE May Issue:

All these towns are expensive other than maybe marfa or butler pa. and the wv and arkansas town.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:25 PM

10,774 posts, read 23,916,754 times
I was just up there today. The High Road is definitely the way to go, much prettier and less commercial with more colorful high desert scenery and forested hills and mountains along with some beautiful old churches. There is tons to do in Taos. My father and I stopped at the Taos Pueblo, there is no electricity and a clear running creek there which gives of an aura of peace and calm. The adobe structures have been there for many centuries and gives the place a very timeless feel. I'm looking forward to going up there this summer and hiking some of the high mountain trails and so some white water rafting. The Rio Grande Gorge is stunning!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,475,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I was just up there today. The High Road is definitely the way to go, much prettier and less commercial with more colorful high desert scenery and forested hills and mountains along with some beautiful old churches. There is tons to do in Taos. My father and I stopped at the Taos Pueblo, there is no electricity and a clear running creek there which gives of an aura of peace and calm. The adobe structures have been there for many centuries and gives the place a very timeless feel. I'm looking forward to going up there this summer and hiking some of the high mountain trails and so some white water rafting. The Rio Grande Gorge is stunning!
I see you made it to NM. Welcome to your new home!

I have to say, after many years, I take the more direct route to Taos along the Rio Grande to save time. I think it's pretty dramatic between the river and steep mountainside, and especially as you round the bend and first get a glimpse of Taos. They've added a nice little visitor center along the highway with interesting exhibits about the local flora, fauna, and geology. But I do see the attraction of going the high road, too.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:25 PM

346 posts, read 483,678 times
Having seen the changes in Taos over the last 40 years (I've an uncle there since '68), all I can say is "keep my town (taos is now a city) OFF your top 20 list!"
Here comes more developer scum...

Old 04-20-2012, 09:16 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,643,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnJam View Post
Having seen the changes in Taos over the last 40 years (I've an uncle there since '68), all I can say is "keep my town (taos is now a city) OFF your top 20 list!"
Here comes more developer scum...
No way!!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,073,101 times
Because you have an uncle there, it's your town?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 AM

4,905 posts, read 4,852,608 times
I have to agree with Aries63, while the high road has its attraction, driving in on 68 from Espanola can be spectacular. We've made that drive once or twice a month for the last few years and continue to be in awe. After you make the big dip and turn and come out of the canyon, the town, the mountains and the Rio Grande canyon winding north are all laid out in front of you and is one of the best sights you ever will see.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:24 AM

346 posts, read 483,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Because you have an uncle there, it's your town?
No.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,772,340 times
Best of both worlds.... drive up from SF on the low road to get the gorge views; drive back on the high road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico