Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times

Advertisements

Go to Walmart. They have a large selection of southwestern and NM stuff and it's not expensive at all. Dreamcatchers, shot glasses and stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasridine View Post
What about something not jewelry, like something you can put in your house for decoration?
Here's just a partial list of various galleries handling all sorts of art objects:

http://www.santafegalleryassociation.org/galleries.php

Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 PM

391 posts, read 906,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasridine View Post
Thanks for all the advice about Jewelry. What about something not jewelry, like something you can put in your house for decoration? Where can I get these? The vendors in front of the PoG seem to only sell necklace/earrings and stuff.
You can buy inexpensive pottery done by Navajos, usually painted, often with carved designs, or the greenware (slipcast pieces formed in a mold) of Acoma Pueblo for very reasonable prices. The Acoma pots are hand painted and attractive but the pot itself is cast, so it's relatively cheap. Handmade pots from Acoma would not be in your price range.
I don't shop for this kind of stuff so I don't normally go into places that sell it, but I do jewelry business in Albuquerque at Rio Grande Wholesale Jewelry at 1920 Central, where Lomas and Central meet. They do huge wholesale business in jewelry, pottery, artifacts, etc. and sell a lot of stuff very reasonably. They have high end stuff too, of top quality, which is what I'm usually buying, but you can get a nice Acoma pot for under 30 bucks, and Navajo painted and carved or horsehair pots for less than that.
Unlike some places they're honest about what they sell, and price fairly. You can buy the Acoma pots cheaper there than at Acoma.

1920 Central Ave. S.W.

Albuquerque, NM 87104

Neighborhood:Old Town
Phone505) 242-373rgwholesale@earthlink.net

Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
I've bought a lovely storyteller from the PofG. I bought it from the woman who made it and it's still a cherished object.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Remember buying cheap, good and authentic you only get to choose two at a time.
Ha.

I'd add that most "artisan markets" I've seen, in any city, generally tend to import their "art" from Mexico or China. I've actually been looking at Mexican pottery in Mexico City (in Mexico) and it was made in China. Nice stuff, but again, only two on Gregw's list.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The original expression applied to racing cars. cheap, fast, reliable - pick two.

We bought some art on our last vacation in M=NM but I have forgotten where. Mostly we collected memories. I will not forget the drive from Rt 180 to Mongollon and back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico