Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city in NM has more notoriety
Albuquerque 13 54.17%
Santa Fe 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 AM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times

Advertisements

I've noticed outside of NM many people tend to think of Santa Fe a lot more than Albuquerque. Even though Albuquerque is the center of commerce for New Mexico and several times larger, Santa Fe for many shows up on the radar more, mainly for art and tourism. When you think of New Mexico which city stands out in your mind more? What are the reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 12:24 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Does it? I guess for me, Albuquerque stands out more as the beacon for NM culture/art/lifestyle/homes, et. c. They even had a TV show set and filmed there as well ("In Plain Sight")-- though I did wish they took more advantage of the scenery there.

When I think of Santa Fe, for whatever reason, I think of the colorful rugs that you hang on the walls.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:33 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,202,761 times
Santa Fe I think of Saintly faith for I speak spanish.
Albuquerque I think of a desert and bugs bunny.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 PM

195 posts, read 421,094 times
Albuquerque. In high school, I put Albuquerque down as the state capital.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:07 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,320,592 times
From my expeirence when you hear about New Mexico cities (which is rare) it's almost Albuquerque. You actually NEVER hear anything about Santa Fe. I think sometimes people even forget it's exists. At least up her in Chicago. I am sure in teh southwest it's different.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:13 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,707,996 times
I'd say Albuquerque for sure.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
From my expeirence when you hear about New Mexico cities (which is rare) it's almost Albuquerque. You actually NEVER hear anything about Santa Fe. I think sometimes people even forget it's exists. At least up her in Chicago. I am sure in teh southwest it's different.
Wow, I inquire because it seems Santa Fe draws a lot more tourists from out of state, most visitors to Albuquerque are passing through where Santa Fe is a bit more of a destination. AA has a non stop to Santa Fe from Dallas and LAX so it draws many tourists, many Texans and from elsewhere for the abundance of art galleries, Southwestern Native culture, and Santa Fe actually has a bigger fine dining scene than Albuquerque. It also draws certain types of people, I'm pretty aware New Mexico is under the radar for most people.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:36 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,320,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Wow, I inquire because it seems Santa Fe draws a lot more tourists from out of state, most visitors to Albuquerque are passing through where Santa Fe is a bit more of a destination. AA has a non stop to Santa Fe from Dallas and LAX so it draws many tourists, many Texans and from elsewhere for the abundance of art galleries, Southwestern Native culture, and Santa Fe actually has a bigger fine dining scene than Albuquerque. It also draws certain types of people, I'm pretty aware New Mexico is under the radar for most people.
I am just talking about my experience here in the Midwest. The thing is no one here ever really vacations in New Mexico. When they go to the Southwest they go to Arizona. Arizona is actually really popular in Chicago. I have met very few people who go to New Mexico. Doesn't mean people they think less of it, they just don't think about it at all. With that being said since very few people in the Chicago are go to New Mexico for vacation, since Albuquerque is the states largest city more people are aware of it.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:57 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,851,398 times
To me, outside New Mexico, it seems like Santa Fe gets most of the attention from the likes of the New York or LA Times. I don't think that's how it should be, Albuquerque is a really interesting and unusual city ("the city at the end of the world") but I don't think it gets its due. Isn't there a Neil Young song about Albuquerque that starts out something like "Oh they say Santa Fe is just 60 miles away"? BTW, I think New Mexico is a great place for a vacation, as long as it's not too hot!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
To me, outside New Mexico, it seems like Santa Fe gets most of the attention from the likes of the New York or LA Times. I don't think that's how it should be, Albuquerque is a really interesting and unusual city ("the city at the end of the world") but I don't think it gets its due. Isn't there a Neil Young song about Albuquerque that starts out something like "Oh they say Santa Fe is just 60 miles away"? BTW, I think New Mexico is a great place for a vacation, as long as it's not too hot!

Albuquerque - Neil Young - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico