Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 02:52 PM

206 posts, read 535,241 times

Advertisements

Luna county sheriffs. Moderator cut: Please no obscene or implied obscene language... I was on a rural highway between Demming and Hatch and got cited for 72 in a 65. Wow, in Arizona they generally won't even stop you unless your 10 over. I have lived all over the U.S and had a spotless record untill I encountered cops in N.M. Once, I was pulled over on a deserted highway for going 6 miles over. Luckily, that was a warning. I'm starting to think some people shouldn't be given a badge because they go on a power trip.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-18-2012 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 03:29 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
It's the risk you take when driving. I don't think pulling you over is a power trip.
Maybe it was a slow day and he needed something to do to stay awake.

I agree that on a good road, you should be able to go 80, 90, 100 or whatever -
as long as the road and visibility is good enough.

I never go more than 4 mph over, so have kept my nose clean.

What did he catch you with? LIDAR? RADAR? Do you have a detector?
Of course, on a quiet road, that wouldn't do you much good.

The best way to speed is to follow "bait." Bait is a hormonal young driver that is
going a speed that you like and could not care less if they get a ticket. You follow
a distance far enough that the bait doesn't get pissed at you for following, but
close enough to see if they tap the brakes ( for the officer they just noticed ).

There is always one of those bait drivers coming along if you are patient.
OTOH, you might be the bait.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:05 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
It's the risk you take when driving. I don't think pulling you over is a power trip.
Maybe it was a slow day and he needed something to do to stay awake.
Or maybe he just felt like he was doing his job!!!

Old 08-18-2012, 06:12 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Luna county has nearly no economic base, and a sky-high unemployment rate. How else is the county to pay for policing itself?

Old 08-18-2012, 09:15 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times
NM cops are a joke. I had one flat out lie and testify I was driving 90. LOL not even close. In this part of NM he was also the prosecutor, and knew the judge. What a joke.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:17 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
NM cops are a joke. I had one flat out lie and testify I was driving 90. LOL not even close.
His word against yours.

If you can prove you have a speed governor or telemetry system (Progressive Snapshot?) on your car, making that physically impossible, then maybe showing up to court thinking you're slick enough to convince a judge to rule against his meal ticket isn't so silly an idea.

Otherwise, the court proceeding was just an IQ test for you.

Quote:
In this part of NM he was also the prosecutor, and knew the judge. What a joke.
Of course he knew the judge. Did you seek an excusal?

Old 08-19-2012, 09:49 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
New Mexico Cops covers several jurisdictions when it comes to traffic stops - state, county and municipal. You are directed to whichever magistrate court has jurisdiction. Could be a Justice of the Peace in rural areas, who can hold that position with little or no formal education or other qualifications.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
His word against yours.

If you can prove you have a speed governor or telemetry system (Progressive Snapshot?) on your car, making that physically impossible, then maybe showing up to court thinking you're slick enough to convince a judge to rule against his meal ticket isn't so silly an idea.

Otherwise, the court proceeding was just an IQ test for you.

Of course he knew the judge. Did you seek an excusal?
An IQ test? No, the court appearance was required by law (90+). I was going to appeal, but I wound up moving away from that ****hole instead, paid the fine and moved on.

It wasnt about being slick, it was about illustrating the truth. Lying cops are dangerous.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:14 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
I generally never do more than 4mph over the speed limit to keep myself within that limit. There is one road that I do 15mph over and I have never been pulled over when I past cops which is weird.

Ive been pulled over in NM for doing 6mph over the limit once and was let away with a warning but in TX I got fined $180 for doing 6mph over the limit. Lesson learned. Keep the speeds lower or follow a bait car and get yourself a radar detector and back off when you get a blip.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:32 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I generally never do more than 4mph over the speed limit to keep myself within that limit. There is one road that I do 15mph over and I have never been pulled over when I past cops which is weird.

Ive been pulled over in NM for doing 6mph over the limit once and was let away with a warning but in TX I got fined $180 for doing 6mph over the limit. Lesson learned. Keep the speeds lower or follow a bait car and get yourself a radar detector and back off when you get a blip.
Exactly..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico