Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 AM

18,250 posts, read 25,912,075 times

Advertisements

With the comments Jazzlover made regarding northern New Mexico, if you're a history buff the St. James Hotel in Cimarron, New Mexico is a must see. It's one of the famous hotels from the Old West. Who stayed there? Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Doc Holliday, Kit Carson, Frederick Remington, Zane Grey, and many others. Cimarron is halfway between Raton and Taos and the drive through Cimarron canyon is beautiful. The hotel is on the register of the National Register of Historic Places. I've stayed there though it's been a couple decades ago. There's a website called Legends of America and when you pull it up type in the St. James Hotel in the search box. A lot of cool info there!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-23-2012 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 PM

18,250 posts, read 25,912,075 times
On the subject of the Old West, another item of note would be the grave of "Billy The Kid", which is near Ft. Sumner. Ft. Sumner is three hours east of Albuquerque on U.S. hwy 84. It's a small town that sadly has been losing a little population lately. In 2000 they were at 1249, last years stats has it at 992. Only three motels in the area, one of them a chain motel (Super 8). I stayed there once at the Coronado which suited me fine, though that's been years ago.

And if 50's rock interests you, go a little bit further on 84 about an hour or so and include a visit to Norman Petty's recording studios. Been there twice but years ago. Every year around the early part of September Clovis has a "Clovis Music Festival" in the downtown area. Been to three of them, one of them included an auction of some rare vintage Holly 45's, signed memorabilia, etc. The recording studios are really interesting, like stepping back in time. The tour I took was led by Vi, Norman's wife who passed years ago. The place was closed for some time but my music collector friends told me their kids have been trying to keep the place open at least during summer but it would be a good idea to check. RIAA gold and platinum records hanging on the wall, lots of photos of the band as well. Cool place!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,867,298 times
I suggest using Google and their Street View to preview your trip. I located a couple of interesting B&B's on the back roads between Santa Fe and Taos. You should buy a copy of Hidden Places NM" and "Off the Beaten Path NM" for some suggestions.

I am humbled by the obvious expertise shown by "jazzlover" and base my comments to my direct experience riding my motorcycle through that area decades ago.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,127,463 times
original OP here, we have decided to extend our stay in order to see a bit of southern New Mexico as well on this trip. Tentatively our itinerary shapes up to drive from near Great Sand Dunes NP down to Ruidoso for a 3 night stay and back up to Santa Fe for 3 nights. Will try and make it to one of the Pueblos for sure and the Valles Caldera seems intriguing as well. Want to take the trek in Las Cruces to see Pat Garretts murder location but wondered about where to park in that area, perhaps the high school nearby?

Looking for ideas for lodging in Ruidoso as well as ideas for the 4th of July down there.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico