Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,287,338 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I spent some time in New Mexico a few years back and I absolutely fell in love with the food there. I live in CA now but I have to bring in a desert for about 10-15 people and I want to bring in a New Mexican dessert. I'm no expert chef so what do you all suggest would be not too difficult and brought in preferably without having to be warmed up. I may be able to warm stuff up but it would require a whole lot more work

Ideas and or recipes are welcomed!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 03:02 PM

I want to add that it doesn’t necessarily need to be a dessert item. I just found out I can bring in anything to eat. This should widen my choices a bit

Old 12-08-2008, 03:40 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,802 times
Zen Master:

There is an old thread here at the forum which has many many recipes:

New Mexican Recipes.

That should give you some ideas.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Zen Master:

There is an old thread here at the forum which has many many recipes:

New Mexican Recipes.

That should give you some ideas.
Thank you! For some reason I have problems finding thing by searching.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:55 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,369 times
I'd recommend Capirotada, a Mexican/New Mexican Bread pudding, which can be made ahead and delivered at room temp. though it is nice to warm it up before serving, maybe in an oven that's done being used for something else. Use Pecans and/or Pinones to give it a New Mexico touch. A nice buttery sauce and some whipped cream makes this a great dessert, and it's easy. Here is a link to some different recipes: Cooks.com - Recipes - Capirotada
Also nice served with some Hagen Daas Dulce de Leche ice cream!
If you're looking to bowl everyone over I'd say Dessert Tacos, but they're labor and skill intensive.
It involves making U shaped taco shells using an almond tuille recipe and subbing pinon for almonds, and draping the hot tuiles on a cardboard form to imitate taco shells, filling the shell with chocolate mousse (beans or meat), topping with diced strawberries (tomatos), shreds of white chocolate (cheese) and raspberry puree (salsa). I used to make this for a special dinner I'd do in my restaurant called Christmas in Santa Fe, and I'll guarantee it will amaze your friends. I'd always sell out, but it's WOOORRRKKKK,mostly ahead of time, but then during the assembly which has to happen as it's being served.
Go for the Capirotada.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 PM

Hey Zenmaster:

Do you bake?

Here is my recipe for traditional New Mexico cookies; if you know how to work with cookie dough, this is a very easy one.

NEW MEXICO BIZCOCHITOS

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. anise seeds
3 Tbsp. sweet wine
-------------------
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

1. Mix butter and sugar until creamy.
2. Add egg and beat until very fluffy.
3. Mix flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture.
4. Stir in wine and anise seed.
5. Roll dough out on floured board to 1/4" thickness, and cut into squares or fancy shapes.
6. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp. cinnamon and sprinkle on top of each cookie.
7. Bake at 350º for 15-20 minues or until light brown.

------------------

Freezes well.

Makes 4 dozen.

Easy and good.

Recipe from Simply Simpatico Cookbook, Albuquerque Junior League, 1981.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Hey Zenmaster:

Do you bake?

Here is my recipe for traditional New Mexico cookies; if you know how to work with cookie dough, this is a very easy one.

NEW MEXICO BIZCOCHITOS
First off, Tecpatl, thanks for the recipes. I am definitely going to try in the future.

Towanda,
I somehow managed to make these despite my lack of baking skills and EVERYONE loved them I had a bunch ask me for the recipe. Thanks a ton!

Old 12-10-2008, 01:27 PM

Well, I'll be darned.

That's very cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico