Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:25 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times

Advertisements

LURA- I think I know what road you are talking about,I took a wrong turn one day and ended up in some tiny town,it might be seven lakes,anyways locals told me to take the dirt road which I saw a herd of sheep crossing infront of me and I ended up in chaco canyon area,I had no clue where I was.

another long boring drive is from Ft.Sumner to Vaughn.nothing out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 08:26 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
Since I work all over the state I have a bunch of streches of desolate hwy I enjoy. Some I like when it's nothing but black clouds, lightning and pouring rains. 285 between Encino and 1-40 is one of those. Another is 380 between czozo and San Antonio. I also dig that one when it's snowing.

Some I like in the early am when it's crisp and cool. 104 from vegas to tucumcari. Also state rd 23 borders the floyd lee in the am you can see hundreds of elk in the pastures.

I have many more NM is a beautiful place to see on the road. Stay off of the freeways and really get to see NM.

enjoy.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Highway 64, from just north of Taos to Tierra Amarilla, is desolate, especially the part from Tres Piedras west to T.A. That section is ensconced in rolling terrain, and I was shocked to see a sigh that said I was at 10400 feet in elevation! It seems almost unearthly up there, beautiful but strange.
Desolate? That is one of the most scenic drives in New Mexico! If your definition of "desolate" means no trashy human development, ski areas, trophy houses, "ranchettes," and other man-made BS, then New Mexico and the rest of the Rocky Mountain West could use a lot more "desolation."

Old 10-18-2007, 06:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Same complaint - so many roads, so little time.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:17 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Same complaint - so many roads, so little time.
DITTO GregW!

Old 10-18-2007, 04:23 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
666 between shiprock and gallup [it's four-ninety-something now, but it'll always be 666 to me- just as 550 between aztec and bernalillo will always be 44]; 371 between farmington and crownpoint; and 39 between logan and mosquero, north of tucumcari, are some that come to mind.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 PM

30 posts, read 120,959 times
Thumbs up Welll know I know !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
It might not be the longest, but a very dangerous one is the state road that goes from Eunice and heads south into Jal and ends up in Kermit, Texas. Very narrow and loads of potholes. One good thing about 285- thank God they finally four laned it. Same goes for hwy. 44 (now U.S. 550 from Farmington to Bernalillo)

Well Damn !!!

When I entered New Mexico I took 666 south

I should have taken that 550 Farmington to Bernalillo, but instead I took the rout 666 from Cortez, COL. to Gallup NM and at night too !! It was the road from HELL But I only had an OLD map to guide me.

Tomorrow I will be taking the 285 from Vaughn to Roswell, hope its better as you say, it's 4 leaned......Hope so !!

Thanks for the INFO.

Later
~ Oro

Old 11-27-2007, 09:32 PM

30 posts, read 120,959 times
Thumbs up Well now I know !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
It might not be the longest, but a very dangerous one is the state road that goes from Eunice and heads south into Jal and ends up in Kermit, Texas. Very narrow and loads of potholes. One good thing about 285- thank God they finally four laned it. Same goes for hwy. 44 (now U.S. 550 from Farmington to Bernalillo)

Well Damn !!!

When I entered New Mexico I took 666 south to Gallup.

I should have taken that 550 Farmington to Bernalillo, but instead I took the rout 666 from Cortez, COL. to Gallup NM and it was at night too !!
It was the road from HELL But I only had an OLD map to guide me.

Tomorrow I will be taking the 285 from Vaughn to Roswell, hope it's better as you say, it's 4 leaned......Hope so !!

Thanks for the INFO.

Later
~ Oro

Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Good one, beautiful vistas and a feeling you might drive into the ethers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Highway 64, from just north of Taos to Tierra Amarilla, is desolate, especially the part from Tres Piedras west to T.A. That section is ensconced in rolling terrain, and I was shocked to see a sigh that said I was at 10400 feet in elevation! It seems almost unearthly up there, beautiful but strange.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
The no-gas got me on this one, and not much to eat except tossed floating strands of wheat coloured sumthin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
What are some of the most desolate stretches of highway in New Mexico?! I dont know if this would be the one, but I remember Highway 285, between Roswell and Vaughn! Scary! 96 miles of nothing, no gas stations, no motels, maybe a handful of homes? You drive almost 60 miles to get to a tiny village called Ramon, NM in the middle of nowhere. Then, you drive another 35 miles to get to Vaughn,NM population: 539. It would be scary to break down somewhere between Roswell and Vaughn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico