Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:23 PM

550 posts, read 1,550,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarcie View Post
I am researching Hobbs, New Mexico b/c I had a great job offer. It seems not very many people suggest living in Hobbs. How is Lovington ? Does anyone live in Seminole, Texas and drive to Hobbs ?
I lived in Seminole about 25 years ago, and go thru there on the way to NM.
It has not change a bit. A little town of 7,000 nice country folks. But you still have to go to Hobbs or Lubbuck to do any decent shopping. I would choose Hobbs.About 25,000, at least you have stores and restraunts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:46 AM

16 posts, read 54,340 times
Thank you everyone for all of your replies, both in the CO and NM forums.

They both sound like great places, and you have definitely given us a much better idea of what both places are like. It is so much better to get opinions and information from people that actually live in or have some knowledge of an area. I'll post back when we have made our decision about which one to go for, and if the job transfer goes through.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply )

Old 10-25-2007, 02:20 PM

10 posts, read 48,753 times
Fl to CO, NM & TX would be a radical change. Keep in mind some of the things a New Yorker might miss here (as far as food)

1 PIZZA
2 Crusty Bread

Everything else is manageable plenty of restaurants, plenty of homes under 300K I bought mine for $310 and taxes are $1500 my electric Bill (A/c) went down to about $250 from my A/C bill in NJ closer to $400. (and they are complaining about a rate hike here). Insurance is about the same due to the many unlicensed/uninsured drivers here. Slower paced than the east coast. I do agree that you should be careful where you buy and watch for the drainage channels and arroyos there are some flood plains here and the feds are re-looking at that naming more areas as such so watch that.

I moved from NJ in June and love Las Cruces NO HURRICANES the weather is great its nice right now (Fall) near 80 woke up to 45 (before the sun came out) its always sunny. YEA!! House choices galore just check out realtor.com Cannot speak for CO or TX but watch the altitude Cruces is around 4k ft above sea level it stays dry but manageable i used to travel to Denver (mile high) and my lips would crack after 2 days so did not like that I believe all of CO is pretty high (in altitude)

Last edited by Cdeluca22; 10-25-2007 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-25-2007, 03:26 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdeluca22 View Post
Fl to CO, NM & TX would be a radical change. Keep in mind some of the things a New Yorker might miss here (as far as food)

1 PIZZA
2 Crusty Bread

Bountiful and Toucan have passable bread. I use the term somewhat loosely because the rolls at 7/11 in Jersey were better. But it's a VAST improvement to what was available just 10 years ago. I'm sorry I can't help either one of us with the zza. It just sucks here. On a happy note, I'm going back east in December for Giants/Redskins game so I'll eat a slice for you!

Old 10-25-2007, 03:29 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
I left upstate NY many years ago and have lived in half a dozen states. NONE of them has good bread or pizza. I learned to bake both of them from scratch. Just a tip for you in case you are inclined to do-it-yourself.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:29 PM

16 posts, read 54,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdeluca22 View Post

1 PIZZA
2 Crusty Bread

Everything else is manageable plenty of restaurants, plenty of homes under 300K I bought mine for $310 and taxes are $1500 my electric Bill (A/c) went down to about $250 from my A/C bill in NJ closer to $400. (and they are complaining about a rate hike here). Insurance is about the same due to the many unlicensed/uninsured drivers here. Slower paced than the east coast. I do agree that you should be careful where you buy and watch for the drainage channels and arroyos there are some flood plains here and the feds are re-looking at that naming more areas as such so watch that.

I moved from NJ in June and love Las Cruces NO HURRICANES the weather is great its nice right now (Fall) near 80 woke up to 45 (before the sun came out) its always sunny. YEA!! House choices galore just check out realtor.com Cannot speak for CO or TX but watch the altitude Cruces is around 4k ft above sea level it stays dry but manageable i used to travel to Denver (mile high) and my lips would crack after 2 days so did not like that I believe all of CO is pretty high (in altitude)
I had to laugh about the crusty bread I really miss the great bread that you can get in England. So it's not just the NY half of us that love crusty bread! Hubby misses NY pizza, and I have to agree NY style pizza is impossible to get down here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico