Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 AM

255 posts, read 627,185 times

Advertisements

Wow, this got off on a tangent.

In reality there is a huge reliance on the state for housing, food, education, ETC. NM also leads the nation in disability claims, I believe by an almost 10% margin so it's just appears to be part of the culture. Tie subsidies into scholastic performance, and you'll see parents begin taking some ownership of their children's future and the cycles begin to break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:22 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxzj View Post

In reality there is a huge reliance on the state for housing, food, education, ETC. NM also leads the nation in disability claims, I believe by an almost 10% margin so it's just appears to be part of the culture. Tie subsidies into scholastic performance, and you'll see parents begin taking some ownership of their children's future and the cycles begin to break.
Yes. Very heavy reliance on both state and federal government for jobs--and just about everything else.

New Mexico seems to be far more interested in setting aside wilderness areas...and relying heavily on tourism to the expense of so many other things.

It would be nice if the state were far more business-friendly than it is. But that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:24 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,470,903 times
Quote:

Tie subsidies into scholastic performance, and you'll see parents begin taking some ownership of their children's future and the cycles begin to break.
Never going to happen, lol. Even drug testing people who receive benefits has been deemed unlawful. The truth is that ever since the Great Depression, the American people have been addicted to government intervention. The culture of dependence and lack of personal responsibility is simply one of the end game conclusions to this trend.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 06-27-2013 at 11:39 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 11:47 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,507,348 times
Do State and Federal Guv-mints fear a revolution or coup of some sorts if they stop giving these funds out? I mean, there are legitimate cases of need. A severely disadvantaged child that has a disease that is uncurable and that the parents have no good health insurance to cover cost for their care, they need some welfare assistance. Disability coverages need to be there. I have a problem, though, with someone who claims they have a bad back, then I see them outside vivaciously chopping wood. True story. I've seen it in action. Now, this person claims they can't work, smokes and drinks heavily, but I don't think they're billing the State of Idaho for it (we moved here to NM from ID in early Jan.2013). They're just using it for an excuse to not go looking for work. This person is an alcoholic and a cigarette smoker, true. Addictions continue to be a big part of the problem in this country and they lead to people at least trying to rely on public assistance for a living. Or they're just lazy people.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:36 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,600,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It would be nice if the state were far more business-friendly than it is. But that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.
How is it unfriendly? Me and the wife don't think it's bad...

Unless you are talking about give big subsidies to lure large corporations...

Old 06-27-2013, 12:51 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,470,903 times
^No subsidies are needed. Just do away with the state corporate income tax.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:59 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,063,845 times
Quote:

Disabled beneficiaries aged 18–64 in current-payment status accounted for over 4.6 percent of the population aged 18–64 in the United States. In three states, they represented less than 3 percent of the state population. The states with the highest rates of disabled beneficiaries—7 percent or more—were Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Maine, Mississippi, and West Virginia.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:28 PM

42 posts, read 77,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Do State and Federal Guv-mints fear a revolution or coup of some sorts if they stop giving these funds out? I mean, there are legitimate cases of need. A severely disadvantaged child that has a disease that is uncurable and that the parents have no good health insurance to cover cost for their care, they need some welfare assistance. Disability coverages need to be there. I have a problem, though, with someone who claims they have a bad back, then I see them outside vivaciously chopping wood. True story. I've seen it in action. Now, this person claims they can't work, smokes and drinks heavily, but I don't think they're billing the State of Idaho for it (we moved here to NM from ID in early Jan.2013). They're just using it for an excuse to not go looking for work. This person is an alcoholic and a cigarette smoker, true. Addictions continue to be a big part of the problem in this country and they lead to people at least trying to rely on public assistance for a living. Or they're just lazy people.
In short yes, state and local governments due fear instability if they stop giving funds out, I don't know about a revolution or a coup but it could become that I suppose if it went unchecked.

This is a very complicated issue and is not as simple as it seems, although it may manifest itself as lazy people receiving disability unfairly, the roots are much deeper than that. Anyone who is doing well under the current economic system has an economic incentive to perpetuate such system. This current economic system has led to large amounts of inequality, to offset the inequality , transfer payments have to be made in the form of disability, obamacare, welfare, etc to keep the system functioning.

If you do not make these transfer payments, people can't keep the current standard of living or near it and that's when they hit the streets ! I believe inequality has been cited as one of the major worry points in terms of the national security in the near to mid term future of the nation in testimony before congress. Given the structural changes in the economy over the last 30-40 years, there simply are not enough well paying jobs to go around for Americans that will enable them to keep the same or near standard of living without transfer payments.

The real kicker is that the joke is on anyone that is not part of the upper wealthy, as the majority of these transfer payments are not coming from taxes collected from the wealthy but rather are from borrowing or deferral by the government. When the bill comes due it will fall on the backs of anyone who is not able to relocate or have their assets out of the country. In reality the people who benefit from this in the short and long term are not the people receiving the transfer payments as their bill will eventually come due , but rather the people who are realizing massive gains via the current broken system.

Last edited by foxguy148; 06-27-2013 at 03:58 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 03:30 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:

One reason NM leads in disability claims is due to the lousy doctors in this state. Effective medical care does a lot to cut down on disability claims.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:02 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
How is it unfriendly? Me and the wife don't think it's bad...

Unless you are talking about give big subsidies to lure large corporations...
They could give more tax breaks and such to get corporations to come to NM. They could lessen the more stringent rules for oil/gas/other business here...among other things.

They don't seem to be interested in creating new large and small businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico