Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:14 PM

36 posts, read 360,631 times

Advertisements

To jhlcomp, who asked, Do you miss the ocean?

YES! Can I say it any clearer?lol!

But as I kept on writing I thought that it might be helpful to place this post in it's own thread:

Part I

One of the hardest parts of being in NM, for me, is no ocean in site. Not even a bay. Like the song says, "I was born in the site of water and it's there that I feel my best...."

And I could could see the bay from the porch in the home where I grew up in. So it's in my blood. That and seafood, all kinds. So as surely as I had reasons for coming to live in New Mexico yet a second time, it is very hard for me to be landlocked.

That said, New Mexico has other qualities. Cleaner air, nature all around, lot's of hiking trails, super kind and decent people who will always help you. Which is necessary in a place that is mostly pretty rural. People depend on each other in ways that I never experienced in California or other places I've lived. Conversely, privacy is respected in a way that I hadn't experienced before living here.

Housing is creeping up in some of the most popular areas. But is still less than on the coast. You can actually still get a decent amount of land with a house out this way. If you are buying, some places are getting up there in price - but you can still find rentals less than you can in many other places. I rented at least 4 different homes in Taos county before I bought a place. And not one of them pulled a credit check. This is unheard of where I am from. It could be changing, though, with the influx of new homeowners and real estate 'moguls' from more metropoloitan areas in the country.

I'm moving a little later this year and one of my criteria is that my new home has to be within 90 minutes or less of the ocean. And also near a major airport! Right now I am 3 hours away (through mountain roads the first 45 minutes) from the Sunport in Albuquerque and it sucks, for lack of a better term. For the brave, both Santa Fe and Taos both have small plane airports. You just have to find a pilot and a ride (I think Mesa Airlines may have a regular route to Santa Fe). Otherwise you'll have to drive it or hop a shuttle. Santa Fe has hourly shuttles all day and evening. Taos has options but fewer.

Though not every experience for me personally has been great, in almost 9 years here, I will say that this area (Taos) and others nearby could be wonderful for someone looking for a new start in a still up and coming area. The history is old provencial Spanish and Native American. And this used to be a part of Mexico until about 1912, I think. Skiiers love it here as it is less than 30 minutes to the ski valley. Santa Fe is 90 minutes away - eventually it becomes a normal distance to drive for all the goodies you can't find in a small town. And most of the time, traffic flows well.

Last edited by gottajam; 02-02-2007 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 01:16 PM

Tips I will offer, esp for Taos:

Bring your money and job (or trust fund) with you.

Telecommuters have a great gig. Hospital workers can almost always find work here. I'd just say do a little research on the issues that have come up for the hourly paid staff (nurses, nursing assistants, etc.) at the local hospital. The weekly Taos News and Monthy Horsefly + the internet should yield info on that for those looking into this. Or just ask a few different former and current employees. They're easy to find.

NM is still the most economically depressed state in the nation, outside of the tri-delta area. So money appears to be scarce here more than in many places. In part due to the fact that in the whole state there are not that many people living here. Jobs also appear to be scarce and the pay rates are low. When I moved here many cafe and restaurant wait staff people all over got less than minimum wage and it was actually legal. Rationale was that they got tips. Don't know about this today. But whatever line of work you're in, you have to bring something to the table to help along your financial experience.

Things are expanding, like any where, even if slowly. My (lol!) seafood issues have been a little less stressful. 2 sushi bars now and 3 grocery stores. Raley's is the most impressive with a real fish counter and everything. Smith's also stocks more fish now. The third store is hit and miss. We have one Thai restaurant, a few that serve Italian and other food. Lot's of great homemade Mexican food - the family owned Guadalajara Grill is one of the best places to go. Live music at your table on Friday nights. Family friendly. Northside location is the one I prefer. Orlando's is much smaller but also good. Taos Diner is the best funky, greasy-spoon breakfast joint. Others have come and gone but they've stood the test of time.

Too many bars. Not really that many but too many people go to them, IMHO. But easy to avoid the negatives of that, if you choose. There are several cafe's (most are closed by 6 or 7pm). One opened by a former New Yorker is open until 10 pm and he also has a DVD rental place in the same space. There are 2 more video rental places owned by the same woman, one movie theater (6 or 8 screens), a Wal-mart (The Super Wal-mart is 45 minutes to an hour away). One large hotel with a spa, bar and live music, many other hotels, A few other various and sundry, live music venue situations.

Taos is about 75 minutes away from the Colorado border. Colorado Springs is 3 hours away. Denver is about a 5 hour drive, mostly straight highway to highway, both cities.

As in most of New Mexico, most homes and buildings here are made
of adobe or psuedo-adobe, so the aesthetics are different than elsewhere in the USA. But one example of a non-adobe community is Las Vegas, NM where the state hospital is. A bit desolate. Also, Los Alamos, NM., where ther Los Alamos National Lab and all the secrets live. Looks like a little pristine American town. Elf-like landscape (trees-land). Really cute, nice people. But personally, I get an overall strange vibe about the place. 90 minutes southwest of here.

I'll just add, that although I can't wait to get out of here, there is just something about this area that is hard to explain. So I know I'll be back to visit from time to time. I'm just going to need a big fat break before that happens.

Hope this post is helpful for anyone considering northern New Mexico as home.

Last edited by gottajam; 02-02-2007 at 02:05 PM..

Old 02-02-2007, 08:07 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,377,367 times
Hi - I just happened upon this thread and saw the reference to my earlier thread.

I believe I may have the answer. but not the economic means to make it happen - having multiple homes. Each in an area that appeals to ones innermost need whether its the ocean (yes), the desset (yes), the mountains (yes) and with the ability to reside in each in the best season.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:27 PM

13 posts, read 67,520 times
Dear gottajam,
I know how you feel. To many people here in Seattle. Not enough roads to accommodate the growth. Tons of fish here. I'm getting close to retirement and it's just to busy here and housing, tax's just keep going up here. We have to deal with the mold and the moss. I'm looking forward to dry dirt. Stores and restaurants are plenty, been here for yrs now I'm looking for something different myself. Puget sound is nice but it's not like the beaches in CA which I'm from. To see real sand you have to drive 3 hrs to the coast . I know when I do leave here I don't think even a visit is in my future plans. I also feel the same way about San Jose CA. Good Luck.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Hi - I just happened upon this thread and saw the reference to my earlier thread.

I believe I may have the answer. but not the economic means to make it happen - having multiple homes. Each in an area that appeals to ones innermost need whether its the ocean (yes), the desset (yes), the mountains (yes) and with the ability to reside in each in the best season.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

Hi jhlcomp

I agree! That would be ideal, multiple homes. Though based on what I know today, I'll definitely need to sell this place I'm in now. Actually really want to anyway, as the community has had many stresses and "personality" issues. So even if I did want to keep a home here it wouldn't be the current one. For me a free standing home is the only way to go from here on out. Unless I win the lottery and can get an extra vacation home in Manhattan! Or London!

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle sunhine View Post
Dear gottajam,
I know how you feel. To many people here in Seattle. Not enough roads to accommodate the growth. Tons of fish here. I'm getting close to retirement and it's just to busy here and housing, tax's just keep going up here. We have to deal with the mold and the moss. I'm looking forward to dry dirt. Stores and restaurants are plenty, been here for yrs now I'm looking for something different myself. Puget sound is nice but it's not like the beaches in CA which I'm from. To see real sand you have to drive 3 hrs to the coast . I know when I do leave here I don't think even a visit is in my future plans. I also feel the same way about San Jose CA. Good Luck.
Howdy Seattle Sunshine

I also lived in The Bay Area and Seattle, as well. There are so many great things about both areas. And cons. I was in Washington for 2 years and really do miss Puget Sound. Haven't been back in years but always mean to go. Someday....

And the Bay Area has everything. A couple of major airports, lakes, mountains, oceans, rivers,
mult-culture, all kinds of food and events, great colleges and unibersities.....And San Francisco is one of the best cities in the world and I've seen a few.

I just have to figure out what feels easily affordable, comfortable and fun. I keep thinking I might know where to go next but for the first time in my life I'm really not sure. So its deriving me a little nuts. But I know I'll figure it out. Main thing is to be near an international airport so I can, from home, easily travel to where I please.

Best wishes to both of you, also.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:38 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
Interesting post. I, too, live in Taos and on my way Eastbound in a month plus.

I think if anyone does a search they'll get my views about the town.

Can't say, that we have the same likes or dislikes, but before I leave I'll check out three more restaurants. I made a commitment I'd give the town a fair shake and eat in them all!

Yes, three markets, but I have to go to all three to get what I want for the price I feel is fairest. The one market you didn't name actually is quite competitive and often less expensive than the two you did name.

I wonder what you miss most and what you'd like to find elsewhere?

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Interesting post. I, too, live in Taos and on my way Eastbound in a month plus.

I think if anyone does a search they'll get my views about the town.

Can't say, that we have the same likes or dislikes, but before I leave I'll check out three more restaurants. I made a commitment I'd give the town a fair shake and eat in them all!

Yes, three markets, but I have to go to all three to get what I want for the price I feel is fairest. The one market you didn't name actually is quite competitive and often less expensive than the two you did name.

I wonder what you miss most and what you'd like to find elsewhere?

Thanks.
Hi There Ontheroad,

I understand, I have thought about leaving Taos before at least 8 times every winter and other times. Really, it mostly has been sort of a like-hate relationship (never loved it).

I didn't name the third store because I can rarely recall exactly what it's called! Always jumble the name I think it was built after I moved here. But yes, it has the lowest prices on many things. I also shop at the health food store, too, but usually only for very specific things I can't get elsewhere here (called Cid's for anyone who might want to know).

What I'll miss most? Hard to say before I sell and leave (actually I'll leave even if I don't sell right away). But I think it will include the ease of most people just being without any pretense, the assumed basic kindesses...though I hope to recreate that aspect of my experience wherever I go.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:33 PM

It was actually CID's I was referring to as they can fool ya and beat theprices at Smiths. I rarely go to Raley's but not because they are good.

I'm a big fan of Brown Cow yoghurt!

Hope you find what you are looking for and if it is your house/home you want to sell, good luck with it!

Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 PM

476 posts, read 2,319,381 times
Quote:
by Gottajam: Also, Los Alamos, NM., where ther Los Alamos National Lab and all the secrets live. Looks like a little pristine American town. Elf-like landscape (trees-land). Really cute, nice people. But personally, I get an overall strange vibe about the place.
Gottajam, I am so glad you said that because I thought the SAME thing! I thought, well it must be me. Yes Los Alamos is a nice American town and looks so 50s America but it is almost like something else is behind the scenes like more too it. Sorta like the movie the Stepford Wives. Hard to put a pinpoint on it but just glad someone else thinks the same thing too. Maybe it is just all that nuclear stuff there that is so creepy, I dont know.
Speaking of Taos, can you lay to rest this myth or truth about Taos, any of you from Taos can answer if you know about it. I have heard for years that when people go to Taos they start to hear a strange noise that they then always hear. It sounds so strange but just had to ask if this was real or just a spoof. Thanks for clearing it up in advance.

Also wanted to say to Gottajam, you might check out Corpus Christi, Texas. It is on the ocean with great beaches. It is a nice city. It is really hot and humid in summer and summer lasts most of the year there, but it may be an option for you. I have always wished I had a summer home in Corpus and one in Durango, Colorado,. Oh well, I can dream!

Old 02-03-2007, 11:46 PM

Could you be more specific about this rumoured noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Speaking of Taos, can you lay to rest this myth or truth about Taos, any of you from Taos can answer if you know about it. I have heard for years that when people go to Taos they start to hear a strange noise that they then always hear. It sounds so strange but just had to ask if this was real or just a spoof. Thanks for clearing it up in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico