Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 17,460 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am 23 and form chicago, I traveled extensively to the west before and looking to move there this early fall. I have heard alot about TAOS new mexico, I also snowboard love music, good people, art, outdoorsy stuff, live music. YOu get the jist... Is taos a good place for a 23 year old to live? in terms of skiing? jobs? Music? People? single life? Spanish? Please let me know, I have done alot of research on many different places, but TAOS catches me eye more than others. FOR ANYONE who has any knowledge about what it is like to live in TAOS or in Taos ski valley please let me know! thanks alot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,624 times
Suggest you come visit, you need to experience it first hand and make some contacts.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:39 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke4life View Post
Hello! I am 23 and form chicago, I traveled extensively to the west before and looking to move there this early fall. I have heard alot about TAOS new mexico, I also snowboard love music, good people, art, outdoorsy stuff, live music. YOu get the jist... Is taos a good place for a 23 year old to live? in terms of skiing? jobs? Music? People? single life? Spanish? Please let me know, I have done alot of research on many different places, but TAOS catches me eye more than others. FOR ANYONE who has any knowledge about what it is like to live in TAOS or in Taos ski valley please let me know! thanks alot!
How about lake tahoe, or Colorado, your other choices? You traveled to the west before? In my opinion, No, Taos is not a good place for a 23 year old who needs a job. Do some research on job market. People? Taos has a population of about 5,713 people. I would not want to live there if I were single. I am not sure what caught your eye.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,510,474 times
At 23 you need to look into working first then all that fun stuff. Taos would not be good for you.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:11 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,633,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
At 23 you need to look into working first then all that fun stuff. Taos would not be good for you.
Some people work just to get by (pay rent and eat) and some work to have a shiny new car, a mortgage etc. The OP did not ask what he needs to do with his life and when, he asked about Taos and its suitability for a 23 yr old single guy. The proper answer is "come and see and try to land a job and try and meet people". Anything's possible and you never know. Yeah, Taos is a small town and may not have a vibrant labor market but we don't know the OPs skills and "employability". Best way is to come and see. Maybe Taos doesn't work out immediately but Santa Fe or ABQ does and then Taos works later.

BTW, I met my wife in a small town in Canada, she was a US citizen and I was from Europe - what were the chances of that?

It's not like by going to Jackson Hole or Lake Tahoe he is guaranteed anything. The chances of employment may be higher but that's not what he may be after, I am sure he can land a job in Chicago if that was the only issue for him ("work first and then all that fun stuff")

OD

Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke4life View Post
Have you given any consideration to what you would do for work or are you independently wealthy? There are a lot of places that offer good winter sports, fun and activities for younger people, but Taos isn't one of them. Why? because there are not that many jobs and even though you seem to think having fun is the most important part of living, you can't have much fun without money...

Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,754,604 times
I came to Taos in the 70's in my 20's and somehow survived to later become a professional with a master's degree in spite of it all LOL. Even met my husband-to-be there.

Perhaps look for ski area jobs at your chosen areas of NM/Colorado- that would give you a free board pass

Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
It's not like by going to Jackson Hole or Lake Tahoe he is guaranteed anything. The chances of employment may be higher but that's not what he may be after, I am sure he can land a job in Chicago if that was the only issue for him ("work first and then all that fun stuff")

OD
Having been raised in South Tahoe myself (from 5-18 years old), I will tell you that it is not a good place to live unless you have a good job. And I mean a good, stable job, which is VERY difficult to come by up there.

Every year hundreds, if not thousands, of 18-30 y/o snowbums flocked to the town, enamored by the beauty of the area and the overall "vibe" of tahoe. And every year, hundreds, if not thousands of those same people ended up moving away because they couldn't make ends meat. It's all too common. Everyone thinks they can just find a job working as a liftie at a ski resort making near minimum wage, then work construction jobs in the summer to survive. 98% of these people don't understand the depressing reality of what they are getting themselves in to, and end up disappointed with the results. These people end up competing with all of the other snowbums for the same jobs. Cost of living is very high, and wages are very low. The best jobs are usually those working for the city or county, but those jobs, as you might imagine, are fiercely competitive and limited.

On top of all that, there is very much a local's-only vibe in places like Tahoe. Nepotism runs rampant, and generally speaking, the best jobs go to friends of friends.

Luckily, my parents had great jobs up there, and I ended up having a great childhood as a result. However, I was also smart enough to move away after high school, go to college, and land a good career away from Tahoe. It's always nice to go back and visit though, but I could never live there.

To the OP: I suggest you think long and hard about your plans to move to Taos. Trust me, as someone who was raised in a small vacation town, I saw plenty of people like yourself who thought they could pull off the move, and live the perfect lifestyle. The reality is that it's extremely difficult to make a living (even a marginal living) in places like Taos, Tahoe, Jackson Hole, or wherever. And I'm not just saying all of this to shock you. I'm just telling you how it is.

Last edited by ryanst530; 03-08-2013 at 10:10 AM..

Old 08-04-2013, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,408 times
Default are you still trying to move to Taos?

are you still trying to move to Taos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: