Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:43 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times

Advertisements

GregW opined:

> Better to "waste" money on the Railrunner than killing people in Iraq. ...

Those are my choices?

"It's not so bad that I stole your wallet. At least it's better than beating you up."

Last edited by mortimer; 12-18-2007 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:29 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Everybody seems to enjoy beating up on the Santa Fe extension on the rail runner. Why? Is there any basis to believe it won't get a good ridership?

After having to drive around Santa Fe yet again today and dealing with the morons who populate its streets, I'll jump at any chance to take the RR rather than driving, and I don't think I'm the only one. Santa Feans also descend on Albuquerque for shopping, events, and airport. Keeping them off our streets would have a very noticeable effect on traffic.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Everybody seems to enjoy beating up on the Santa Fe extension on the rail runner. Why? Is there any basis to believe it won't get a good ridership?

After having to drive around Santa Fe yet again today and dealing with the morons who populate its streets, I'll jump at any chance to take the RR rather than driving, and I don't think I'm the only one. Santa Feans also descend on Albuquerque for shopping, events, and airport. Keeping them off our streets would have a very noticeable effect on traffic.
I certainly was not - just didn't address it here because it had nothing to do with my question. I wish I never never had to drive. Hate it. We need more trains to get everywhere we go. My eyesight sucks and I have no choice except to drive or stay home. I wish I could afford to live close to where I work but ironically where you can take buses is usually expensive to live.

I believe that getting more cars off the road needs to be done for the environment no matter what the cost. We're killing the earth and eventually ourselves with pollution. I think it is fantastic that NM is creating the Rail Runner and my friends that live there think so too. Don't lump us all into the "everyone."

Old 12-18-2007, 09:25 PM

Yeah. It's a huge expense for what might turn out to be a thinly used extension of the rail.

I share your enthusiasm for using it rather than make the drive to Santa Fe. You left out the morons who are on the road from Albuquerque *to* Santa Fe (on I-25).

However, many people are of the opinion that if you are spending money on mass transit, it is good no matter what. The RR is not a proven success in the city yet.

> I believe that getting more cars off the road needs to be done for the environment no matter what the cost.

There ya go. A million dollars a mile? Ten million? "No matter what the cost?" Yeah. Go for it. $10,000 a ride? You betcha!

Building RR out to Santa Fe is a lot like some of the loop roads and such that you regularly rail against in this forum. People think that spending money on a road, any road, is a good idea - no matter how inefficient the money is being spent.

If the citizens of New Mexico would support a tax to pay for the RR (I would), then I'd be for building it to Santa Fe. However, it is already a fact that this extension has depleted highway funds and now needed road improvements are being put on hold because of it.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:47 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
I agree than mass transit funding has an optimum and returns diminish after that point, and that some want it pushed beyond its optimum. I do not believe that to be the case here.

I think the RR extension has little in common with some of the loop roads I've heard proposed. I'd guess there are about 300,000 people within a three-mile radius of a RR station. For the proposed belt roads, I'd imagine that number would be under 50,000 and would stay that way for the next few decades. I also think there is an order of magnitude difference in the construction cost per mile (with the RR being 1/10 the per-mile cost of freeway).

I don't think the fiscal connection between rail runner funds and highway funds is as clear cut as people make it out to be. With the way federal money works, it may not be a 1:1 ratio. The rise in construction material costs is mainly to blame; surely the huge surpluses this state gets from oil and natural gas could cover the shortfall if the legislature was so concerned.

Widening I-25, I-10 and US491 are worthwhile projects, but I feel like the rail runner extension will accomplish a similar goal to I-25's widening. Much of its congestion (and probably a disproportionate number of traffic-stopping accidents) come from Santa Fe commuters. I haven't been out between Tularosa and Vaughn lately, or out near Jal, but I think if improvements have to wait a few more years in those places, it won't throw this state into chaos.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:01 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post

Widening I-25, I-10 and US491 are worthwhile projects, but I feel like the rail runner extension will accomplish a similar goal to I-25's widening. Much of its congestion (and probably a disproportionate number of traffic-stopping accidents) come from Santa Fe commuters. I haven't been out between Tularosa and Vaughn lately, or out near Jal, but I think if improvements have to wait a few more years in those places, it won't throw this state into chaos.
I agree that it will help with the congestion, however I think I-25 still needs expanded. 3 Lane up to Santa Fe, 4 From Alameda to Gibson, 3 Sunport to Los Lunas. I-40, in my opinion should be expanded to 5 lanes in certain areas. Just my opinion.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:51 PM

143 posts, read 466,368 times
Default Commuting Between Albuquerque And Santa Fe Via Bus?

Would anyone commuting between Alb and Santa Fe via bus care to share their experiences, please?

Old 05-31-2008, 04:47 PM

I'm guessing that there is no one on the forum who can share their experience, but you can go here to find out when the shuttle runs:

New Mexico Department of Transportation - New Mexico Park and Ride (http://nmshtd.state.nm.us/main.asp?secid=14635 - broken link)

Then, you can find out what it's like simply by buying a ticket and trying it out at the time(s) you are curious about. Bring a book or some magazines and enjoy the ride.

I've often found that is the best way to learn about such things.

You might get some one responding who is all mad that they can't afford the commute any longer in their single-occupant vehicle and doesn't give the ride a fair shake.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:28 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Thanks for the link, mortimer! Very useful, think I might try it out one Friday when I'm off!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
There is a commuter bus between Alb and SF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico