Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 08:31 PM

108 posts, read 184,930 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am currently living and working in MD. I am considering relocating to New Mexico. I am interested in different areas in terms of living and working (esp as a police officer.). I am no stranger to the job as I am currently a police officer here. I wanted to relocate there because I loved the state and I love warmer weather.

Looking for good agencies/locations with excellent pay and benefits.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,845,029 times
Well, I think there are over 40 police departments and 33 sheriff's offices in New Mexico, some other agencies... The City of Albuquerque has close to a 1,000 officers, and what appears to be some good benefits. APDonline.com - Benefits & Salary

We have known some officers and firefighters over the years, but can't really advise what else other than starting to check individual departments.

You might also check "law enforcement" for New Mexico at usajobs.gov https://www.usajobs.gov/JobSearch/Se...n=New%20Mexico for some possible Federal positions.

Rich

Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 PM

502 posts, read 1,381,802 times
Here is a start for you. This list of agencies that are currently hiring is by no means inclusive.
Career Opportunities | NMDPS Law Enforcement Academy
Keep in mind that chances are that coming from out of state you will end up back in rookie school. Depending on your experience and training it might be just a three week waiver class or a full blown start all over again academy.
Good luck to you.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,616,474 times
Albuquerque or the Feds is your best shot. It will be tough to get hired in a smaller community because it still comes down to who you know.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:26 AM

502 posts, read 1,381,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Albuquerque or the Feds is your best shot. It will be tough to get hired in a smaller community because it still comes down to who you know.
That might be the case in Az. I don't know. However in NM most departments will jump at the opportunity to hire someone with experience and a good background. Possibly only having to fund a waiver class is also a big plus.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,427,576 times
Yeh I am with mtncat, Clayton used to go out of their way to recruit people out of State that were qualified rather than retrain Officers here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico