Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:31 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times

Advertisements

Long story short:

With our impending Employer Sanctions Law due to take effect here in Arizona come January; apparently many of the illegal immigrants here are already clearing out.

Word has it many are headed for New Mexico.

Any word from the ground out your way?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:48 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Long story short:

With our impending Employer Sanctions Law due to take effect here in Arizona come January; apparently many of the illegal immigrants here are already clearing out.

Word has it many are headed for New Mexico.

Any word from the ground out your way?
Lucky Arizona!!

New Mexico is full of illegals already, and here in Alamogordo, the ACLU is sticking its nose where it doesn't belong (AGAIN), having filed suit against the Otero county sheriffs for daring to enforce existing immigration laws.

Yep, only going to get worse. All of the border states need to get busy with more severe sanctions against those who employ illegals....the laws are already on the books, but they are ignored more often than not by many.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:26 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,802 times
Cathy! AMEN!

Love your post and agree totally!!

Old 10-25-2007, 12:14 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
Word has it that since the national guard was dispatched to NM's border with Mexico, arrests of would-be border crossers dropped by 90%. The border town of Puerto Palomas has been hit extremely hard, because would-be illegals no longer come and patronize local businesses before they cross.

Far more effective than any number of soldiers, however, is the fact that the border economy on the Mexican side of the border is doing so well, at least in parts. I heard a statistic that 50% of all Mexicans intending to illegally cross instead got themselves jobs on the Mexican side.

I suppose the net effect of Arizona's tightening isn't going to have much effect on illegals here; they will be more likely to find jobs in North Carolina or Illinois or Georgia that pay better, and they'll pick easier crossing points and approaches than the NM desert.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:20 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Lucky Arizona!!

New Mexico is full of illegals already, and here in Alamogordo, the ACLU is sticking its nose where it doesn't belong (AGAIN), having filed suit against the Otero county sheriffs for daring to enforce existing immigration laws.

Yep, only going to get worse. All of the border states need to get busy with more severe sanctions against those who employ illegals....the laws are already on the books, but they are ignored more often than not by many.
i agree completely! the illegals have inundated central florida because of the citrus economy. when the citrus growers sold out when the market was at its peak, we were left with a lot of unskilled workers which has seriously brought our job market down and created lower paying jobs. i will vote for any candidate that would do something about illegal immigration!

Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
I agree also. I heard that Palomas, across the border in Mexico, has lost 50% of its population because much of the business there was equipping those about to cross the border. I think Mexico needs to stop it on their side, but they won't because the illegals send so much money back to Mexico.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:56 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Word has it that since the national guard was dispatched to NM's border with Mexico, arrests of would-be border crossers dropped by 90%.
The sad thing is some Idiot up in Washington DC just pulled 5,000 National Guard troops off the Arizona and New Mexico border to go elsewhere in the world.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:44 PM

265 posts, read 873,574 times
Latest info I have read is that the combination of our slowing economy and better border enforcement has resulted in fewer numbers of illegals crossing the border this year.

This has meant that the small time coyotes are going out of business. The illegal crossing business is now being run by the large drug cartels in Mexico. They are charging more for those who do want to cross. In addition they are making these poor souls lug bags of drugs with them as they trek thru the desert.

As a result drug smuggling has increased this year. Also the drug gangs are arming themselves with better weapons. I wouldn't want to be a border agent who has to fight these gangs.

Did things actually just get worse along our border.?? We may need to station thousands of soldiers on our border to really control it. When will Bush and Congress wake up and seal off our border with Mexico????

Jim

Old 10-26-2007, 05:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
Latest info I have read is that the combination of our slowing economy and better border enforcement has resulted in fewer numbers of illegals crossing the border this year.

This has meant that the small time coyotes are going out of business. The illegal crossing business is now being run by the large drug cartels in Mexico. They are charging more for those who do want to cross. In addition they are making these poor souls lug bags of drugs with them as they trek thru the desert.

As a result drug smuggling has increased this year. Also the drug gangs are arming themselves with better weapons. I wouldn't want to be a border agent who has to fight these gangs.

Did things actually just get worse along our border.?? We may need to station thousands of soldiers on our border to really control it. When will Bush and Congress wake up and seal off our border with Mexico????

Jim
As long as Bush is president, very, very little will be done about sealing and protecting our borders. He's too afraid of offending Mexico....and has a soft spot for all of those poor people.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:40 PM

6 posts, read 22,051 times
Vote for Bill Richardson and we can get our National Guard back where they belong. And the idea that Bush has a 'soft spot' for all the poor people makes me laugh. Bush doesn't give two cents worth of care about the poor in our country or any other country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico