Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 PM

216 posts, read 731,987 times

Advertisements

There's been a series of stories in the news here in Phoenix/AZ about not only an exodus of illegal aliens from this state as a result of the new immigration laws being implemented, but about how the migration is heading to New Mexico. I couldn't believe some of the stories: soon to be ex-AZ illegals (yes, admitted on camera and faces shown on TV) giving interviews and advice to other illegals to "just go to New Mexico" for driver's licenses!

Question for you natives/established NM residents: do you see any of your reps or congressmen initiating any laws there to stop not only this fraud, but to control this influx? I know NM is more tolerant, now I'm having second thoughts of moving there......

Pls. don't turn this into an ugly debate; I ask this only to get insight as to how native NM's & residents see the state handling this issue.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:38 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,847 times
Check out this article. There are restrictions as well as benefits.

Friday, August 24, 2007
Tighter license rules hit illegal immigrants
By Daniel C. Vock, Stateline.org Staff Writer

(Updated 11 a.m. EDT, Friday, Aug. 24) Even where it’s legal, it’s getting tougher for illegal immigrants to get driver’s licenses.

The handful of states that issue licenses to illegal immigrants are stepping up efforts to combat fraud and identity theft. That means stricter rules for ensuring immigrants live in-state and are who they say they are.

In the last year, North Carolina and Tennessee stopped issuing licenses to illegal immigrants altogether. Meanwhile, New Mexico’s motor vehicle agency enlisted the Mexican government to help the state check the identity of would-be drivers. Maine is working to start limiting licenses to in-state residents, after decades of resisting.

Only seven states – Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah and Washington – allow undocumented immigrants to get driver’s licenses.

Supporters of the policy say it helps authorities know who’s on the road, encourages immigrant motorists to buy insurance and decreases tension between police and immigrants.

While fraud was cited as the chief reason for stricter rules in those states, a 2005 federal law called Real ID Act, could lead to even tighter regulations.

The law, which takes full effect in 2013, encourages states to make their licenses more secure. If a state does not meet the law’s standards, license-holders in that state will not be able to use their ID to board airplanes or enter federal buildings, among other things. The 9/11 Commission, established in the wake of the 2001 terrorist attacks, recommended the change.

Only Utah currently issues a different sort of license for people, including immigrants, who don’t have Social Security numbers. The state’s “driver privilege card” has red outlines and, at the top, states the card is “not valid identification for Utah government entity.”

“We paid very, very close attention to developments with Real ID and best practices,” said Jill Laws, a spokeswoman for Utah’s Department of Public Safety.

Maryland Del. Ana Sol Gutierrez (D) hopes to take a different approach to complying with Real ID.

She wants Maryland to continue issuing its normal licenses to citizens and foreigners living in the state. Only people who specifically ask for – and pay for – the Real ID-compliant licenses would get the federally approved version.

Gutierrez said giving drivers the option of which kind of license they want could save Maryland millions of dollars, while letting people more easily guard their personal information.

“We are trying to separate the whole issue of lawful presence from driver’s licenses,” she said.

Having two types of licenses, as contemplated under Real ID, could pose problems where police departments enforce federal immigration law, added John Trasviña, president of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund. “When an officer is carrying both the federal mantle of immigration authority as well as trying to solve crimes, his mission gets confused. People are less likely to cooperate with them,” he said.

Besides, states are ill-equipped to determine the immigration status of drivers, said Maine Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap. Even checking an applicant’s immigration paperwork doesn’t always work, because the U.S. State Department routinely grants blanket extensions for visa holders from certain countries, he said.

Dunlap isn’t making any preparations to comply with the Real ID Act.

“The Legislature made my life very easy. They passed a bill prohibiting me from doing anything, in any way, at any cost to comply with Real ID. They wanted nothing to do with it,” he said.

Still, several states that give licenses to illegal immigrants are asking for more proof of residency and identity.

In a first-of-its kind effort launched this year, New Mexico is now tapping into the foreign government’s database to look up names, birthdays and photos of Mexican drivers living in the state. The database lets the agency verify the identity of people who use an ID card issued by Mexican consulates, called the “matricula consular.”

The state also checks the identity of American citizens with a federal database.

An ongoing audit found that more than 99 percent of foreign drivers in New Mexico who signed up used their correct identity, noted Ken Ortiz, director of New Mexico’s Motor Vehicle Division.

Still, the agency also recently announced it will start requiring all drivers, including foreign nationals, to provide two forms of identification instead of the previous one.

Ortiz said the ability of foreigners to get New Mexico licenses, a change instituted along with several other insurance reforms in 2003, contributed to a steep drop in the state’s rate of uninsured motorists. In 2003, New Mexico had one of the worst uninsured rates in the country with 33 percent. Now, its rate is 11 percent.

The state licenses 30,000 drivers who don’t have Social Security numbers.

After decades as a hold-out, Maine lawmakers took steps this spring to limit its driver’s licenses to Maine residents, after authorities discovered ads in Polish-language New York City newspapers promising easy access to Maine licenses, said Dunlap, the secretary of state. The Legislature directed Dunlap to work with outside groups to address practical concerns that a residency requirement could create.

A 2005 audit that uncovered abuses with Utah’s driver’s licenses led to the two-tiered licensing system the state uses today. Previously, Utah allowed illegal immigrants to get regular driver’s licenses.

In one instance cited in the audit, 62 people who got licenses within a year reported the same Salt Lake City apartment as their address.

Despite worries that fewer undocumented drivers would sign up for the separate licenses, there was only a small drop-off. Under the old system, some 40,000 drivers were unlicensed; now there are 38,000 motorists with driving privilege cards.

In May, Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen (D) ended a two-tiered licensing system there, which once served as a model for Utah. Bredesen pulled the plug after federal regulators determined that some Tennessee testing sites were selling licenses to illegal immigrants from out of state. Under Tennessee’s new law, legal immigrants are eligible for temporary licenses as long as they’re authorized to be in the United States.

Last August, North Carolina also completely halted giving licenses to illegal immigrants. The state had more than 73,000 drivers without Social Security numbers as recently as 2003, but, since then, lawmakers there made it increasingly harder for illegal immigrants to get licenses before cutting it off completely.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,649 times
The total population of New Mexico is less then the Phoenix Metro. Other then seasonal field work there is no jobs in NM for the illegals.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:37 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,022,888 times
There are alot of dairies in Eastern NM for them to work at.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:40 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,847 times
Unemployment is at an all time low in NM. There is probably work here for some of them.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:22 PM

216 posts, read 731,987 times
Default ABQ & Santa Fe is where I think everybody's headed...

From then interviews I've seen/read, most are moving to ABQ or Santa Fe. I guess Las Cruces is too far south, too close to the border (and too close to the border patrol!).

Old 11-20-2007, 12:38 PM

147 posts, read 627,109 times
I just don't understand this - doesn't the word ILLEGAL still mean ILLEGAL? Why would we give a driver's license to someone who is here illegally? Why wouldn't an illegal immigrant, from whatever country, be held for deportation if they show up at a driver's license office?

Old 11-20-2007, 02:54 PM

47 posts, read 168,092 times
I agree, why give an illegal anything. They should be deported as soon as they come in to a goverment office the taxpayers are supporting.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:32 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,565 times
If our Governor weren't too busy trying to run for President (which he's not even close to challenging) the topic of illiegal immigration would have been addressed. I don't want to speculate on what should be done, but I think Coloradoan brings up a good point in that illegal means illegal.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:03 PM

532 posts, read 859,035 times
Thumbs down Many immigrants in Santa Fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabygirl View Post
From then interviews I've seen/read, most are moving to ABQ or Santa Fe. I guess Las Cruces is too far south, too close to the border (and too close to the border patrol!).
I have lived in Santa Fe for 10 yrs. I recently moved from the Eldorado area to a temporary Apt in the middle of SF. The complex I'm in, is mostly hispanic. Not much English spoken around here. The Mamagement recently had to replace my broken range. When they removed it, the area behind it was filled with needles, and drug paraphanalia. The handyman who works for the complex said that this was very common, and that on the average, several units per month are evicted, just in this complex. Needless to say, I am anxious to move again. I have often wonderd how the hispanic people can afford to live in SF--as most average working people can not afford to live here, but have to commute from outlying areas--policemen, teachers, ect. I wouldn't live here, either, except that the work I do is located here. I don't know what the drivers license status is, but they all seem to drive. NM has the worst drivers of any state--especially dui's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico