Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 03:32 PM

43 posts, read 111,061 times

Advertisements

My wife and I bought land in Ruidoso with the idea of retiring there someday. Retirement is still several years away and I would like to be able to set up a webcam on our property just to keep in "contact" with it. Right now it is just 2 lots with no utilities at all, no electricity/phone. I think I can manage the power requirements by powering the cam with a battery and powering the battery with solar panels. The part I'm struggling with is the Internet access. I could do cellular but that's pretty expensive. Tying into an existing wireless network might be possible but 1) it's unethical, 2) the nearest neighbors about about 600 ft away. I did a search on the Net but it looks like HughesNet is the only alternative, and it's as pricey as cellular.

Any Ruidoso residents that could give some advice here? Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 07:31 PM

185 posts, read 489,183 times
Default Welcome to Ruidoso!

Great news you are thinking to relocate here in the future. I'm sure you'll love it here, much as we do. Even with the Little Bear fire last year, Ruidoso is still a special place as you've undoubtedly discovered.

Internet service really does depend upon where you are located. If you are truly in Ruidoso, Baja does an excellent job, and you have also DSL options with Qwest as well. If you are in Alto, where we are, Windstream is about the only game in town-which is not very good frankly speaking. I only know one person with Hughes service, and their comment is it's just a bit better than dialup, but not much. Mountain Alarm and Security on Cree Meadows Drive might be able to give you some ideas as well.

I guess I would really wonder if you need this, given the huge costs involved, especially if you need to run new services. This is not a high crime area, and if you have bare land, really you probably just need to check for squatters every 3-4 months or so. Again, just a thought, but people are extremely friendly and open here, and it might be more cost effective to hire a neighbor to stop by periodically and check things out for you. Good luck in whatever you decide, and hope you enjoy your new property!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico