Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:20 AM

127 posts, read 555,270 times

Advertisements

There is going to be crop in Zuni this year. I went bird hunting yesterday and saw some on the ground but most are about to fall. Maybe with a good rain storm, they will fall. I actually picked up about a two pounds. Then I roasted them last night. Right now I'm eating pinon in my office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 04:01 PM

Yeah. Freshly roasted pinon is great. I had offers from my co-workers this morning asking if they could buy some off me. I never heard of a pinon picking machine. All I need is either a blanket or knee pads. It took me about thirty minutes to pick two pounds and from two trees. I will probably check again tomorrow morning. I have seen several trees covered with pinon near the ice caves.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:11 PM

502 posts, read 1,380,453 times
Picked up about 6 ounces this morning while walking my daughter to the school bus. This was off one tree.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:06 PM

That's great mtncat. The frenzy is starting here in Zuni. I went to Gallup the other day and cars were parked on the side of the roads all the way up to Gallup. As a matter of fact, I will be heading out myself after I get off.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,535 times
Default How To Pick Pinon New Mexico

New Mexico Pinon is a Delicacy and comes around every so many years in some places. Most of the Indians and Latino families go out on Picnics with their Families and some can pick up 100 lbs of pinon in one day. Take a big Cofee can 3 lb and a flour sack or Pillow case thats all you need. Maybe some old Jeans you dont mind getting Tree Sap on the Knees on them. DANGER since the Pinon crop is coming now in October and the Weather is still very warm there will Certainly be Rattlesnakes out. In the last few days ive killed one Rattler and seen one Dead Red Racer and a Bullsnake. Of Course if you like pinon theres other wild animals that like it too plus the Hungry Bears and Mountain Lions of Today can smell food a mile away. There was a case in N.M. where a Mountain Lion took off with a Kid in his Mouth a few Months ago so watch your Kids give them a Whistle or Something. The Grass is High and theres little Cactuses everywhere that you cant see until you hit them with your Foot. P.S. try to beat my record of picking Pinon one by one i did 3 lbs in less then an hour but i found a tree with Lots of Big Pinon. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 10-13-2008, 11:49 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,535 times
Default New Mexico Pinon

Everyone should pick New Mexico Pinon at least once in their Lifetime. What you need to pick Pinon is a Couple of Coffee cans preferably the 3 lb and a flour sack to put the Pinon. Remember that Pinon comes from Christmas Trees and you can tell which are the Trees with the Pinon because the Green Pine Cones have Turned Brown and are open and eventually the Pinon drops to the Ground. On Winding Days the Pinon falls off the Cones but you can shake the Tree and drop the Pinon down on a Tarp. WARNING be sure to Check the Pinon Tree before Shaking it you dont want to drop a Snake or a Porcupine on your back and wear a Hood or Cap because theres lots of Insects and spiders that could come down on your back or head. An Old Pair of Levis is nice because you will get Sap on your knees. TIP Some of the Pinon is BANO so you have to pick the Good ones and leave the one that is Bano Alone some of the Deer Turds and Rabbit Turds look like Pinon and During an Interesting Football Game you sometimes end up Crunching on a Deer Turd or Swallowing it thinking its Pinon and its not Funny. If theres cars on the side of the Road and i suspect I 25 and I 40 are going to have lots of them in the Good Pinon Areas in Northern N.M. Some owners of Private Land dont like Pinon Pickers because they knock down the fences or leave Trash or are afraid people will get hurt or start fires on their Property. el pintada kid

Old 10-20-2008, 11:33 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,612,277 times
I'm not sure the Santa Fe New Mexican reporters should be using any of these crazy blogs as sources.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/SantaFeNorthernNM/Bumper-crop--or-ripe-for-the-picking

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-21-2012 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Orphaned Material

Old 10-20-2008, 01:01 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,751,162 times
Default Saw a lot of people picking yesterday along rt. 14

between Tijeras and Madrid.

I'll remember that warning about deer crap..

Old 10-20-2008, 08:05 PM

261 posts, read 936,439 times
Do you suppose we can get enough people out harvesting pinons that we can starve out the animals that depend on them for food?

Old 10-21-2008, 03:43 PM

Last week, the my family went out to go pick pinon and I decided to tag along to haul some wood with my uncle. We went one direction while my family went the other way. We started trimming this one tree, then I went and split the log with my axe. And after the first hit we noticed it was hollow. So I gave it two more hits and the thing split and we saw pinon everywhere. It was like finding a pot of gold. I went back to the truck and took out a empty twenty pound bag of bluebird flour sack. We filled that thing to the top and filled another ziplock gallon bag. So instead of hauling wood, we decided to come back to town and buy some peanuts. We put peanuts back into the log. We had it weighed and it totaled to 33 pounds. Now I'm all set for winter and shalako.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-21-2012 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Orphaned Material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico