Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:51 AM

7,353 posts, read 2,752,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I think it may be helpful to the OP or anyone else who is in a similar situation. They often don't understand how different it is or really think about all the things they'd miss.

I've lived in big cities before... for over a decade. I'd do almost anything to not have to do it again.

But there is much more than just a "big city" vs "small town" difference. NM is generally poor and largely Hispanic... and it seems like a lot of the people moving here are retired. But it isn't one of the "hot" places to retire. And we don't have much industry that brings in high earning jobs. All this shapes the demographic of what people are here, and what they tend to do... and what services and entertainment are available. Santa Fe and parts of Albuquerque have some affluence... which results in more "going on"... but that is about it. In other places sparse services and entertainment are the rule.

I don't really care about those things though... much prefer the clear dry air and blue skies... the peace and the space.
Well said. I live in SE NM and absolutely love it. Having said that, I do know that it is not for everyone and I am grateful for that. I love being able to get anywhere in town I need to go in 15-20 minutes. I love being able to drive for 15 minutes and be out "in the middle of nowhere". Not everyone likes that. I admit we do not have the shopping that a lot of people prefer nor the restaurants a lot of people like, but I can live without those things if it means I have the quality of life I do have.

I like the fact that my sky is still the most beautiful blue in the world and not clouded by everything that a bigger population brings. I like being able to go out in my yard at night and actually see the stars and not a bunch of light. I love my little corner of the world and would like to see it stay this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,922,726 times
IAW - I know exactly what you mean. I feel much the same way. There are very few parts of the Northeast that are either quiet or dark.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:54 PM

202 posts, read 266,076 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's really helpful! I understand that New Mexico, like everywhere else, isn't for everybody. There is something very nice about being able to see the stars in the sky at night, something that doesn't happen where I live now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico