Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,333 times

Advertisements

My husband and i own 160 acres of undeveoped land near Santa Rosa, which we inherited a few years ago. We have had great difficulty finding out what the land is woth, as supposedly there are no attorneys in Santa Rosa (unlikely, it seems,) but that is what out attorney here has said, when we have asked him to locate one. The land needs to be transferred to our names, as it is still in the names of my husand's father's parents, although we pay taxes on it. Can anyone direct a=me as to where I could learn more about the land's value, who to contact to represent us, etc??
Thanks!
Cissie Payne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 12:29 AM

631 posts, read 2,446,174 times
Hello slk45,
I was reading your post and the others to follow. Keep in mind, if you buy land that can be subdivided because the covenants say so, you still have to ck with the county to see if THEY allow it.

Can't tell you where to stay away from.

You're right to consider more than 1K per acre these days. The smaller the parcel the more per acre. If you are in the 20 acre size, you can find some decent land for about $1,500. to $2,000. per acre still.

For the person that can't find a lawyer in Santa Rosa, try the next town east in Tucamcari.

As for the "reputable" developer near Wagon Mound. Call his last 2 developments HOA boards for a reference.

I think you are on the right track by stating an area of weather, size and price range. Narrow that down to narrow down your location of choice then shop. Think about how far you are ok to being away from stores. The closer to a big town, the more $$ per acre. Nm is a big state and you can go crazy trying to see everything. I had seen where many people mentioned to you about the Quemado area. I sell land in Magdalena and Datil, went to school one year as a kid in Quemado, as my family ranches Pie Town so I do know the area somewhat.
All those towns are on hwy 60 from I25 to the Az. border. Usually about 30 minutes apart from each other. There are lots of subdivisons that were large ranches back in the day. Lots of property that can be bought. I believe Catron cnty. passed a new subdivision reg. saying the developer now has to gravel roads on the new subdivisions. There are lots of areas you can get bogged down in mud really bad. If you shop those areas or any really, off a dirt road, you really need to find out how those access roads are in the rain and winter. Even state hwy's can be dirt. I remember as a kid, I would be sent back to the ranch to get the old jeep to pull people out of the bar ditches off the state hwy. That road is better now.

Once you get into Datil and head west, you are getting pretty far removed from shopping, doctors and hospitals. Datil and Pie Town will get more snow in the winter than Magdalena. I would say all of the towns would have a pretty nice summers and not usually hotter than 90 in the summer. Magdalena seems to have the mildest temp swings. Less snow in the winter, summers are pretty nice, and it's closer to stores, Albuquerque and hospitals. I think all those towns are very pretty. I own land in Datil and north of Magdalena. Lots of Natl forest lands close to all those towns.

For milder weather I think the SW part of the state has it. You can go to yahoo.com and ck for weather highs/lows. And this city data website gives really good detailed info on diff. towns.

If you buy property in a subdivision with a HOA, which is most of what you will find. You should get the board contact info and find out how functional they really are. Do they take care of the roads? Are the members paying their dues?... Do they have money in the bank or broke? I know of one large development that is in pretty sorry shape and don't have the money to take care of the roads as so many people have not paid their dues. Mostly because of incompetance of the board not sending bills out and keeping up with owners and addresses.
My website is United Country -Magdalena New Mexico. grouped by area. We have mountain properties in Datil pretty cheap, 20-30 acre properties north of Magdalena in the Natl. Forest, and 20-140 acre sizes at Windmill Ranches which is 22 miles north of Carrizozo(probably warmer than Magdalena in the summer) Prices are pretty good as they are first time resales. They got a good deal from the developer and they haven't been bought and resold already inflating the prices over and over. to view the listings by price range it's New Mexico Real Estate - United Country New Mexico Property Connection.

NM is a great place to be. I've lived from Ca to Md and inbetween. Including OK. I'm staying put. The people are nice here, we have great weather and better prices than lots of dryer climates like Az and Ca. (so far) Come on to NM!

and yes, you can find really cheap property, and it could also be worthless. Don't buy sight unseen from those $3,000. properties or tax sales. goodluck.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:44 PM
RSD

4 posts, read 16,214 times
Default Land or small house small community

Anyone have any suggestions on very small communities in NM without much snow or too too cold (getting older). Single woman looking for land not in the total flat areas as like some trees and a running stream would be nice. Safe is nice. Hope to build but have mobile home for time being. Not a lot of dollars but a start, just cant spend the gas to drive to every small town. Some community nice but not large place. Need ideas please or agents okay to talk for ideas. I am probably too small for agent. Like quiet life. Down in AZ at moment. Left LV got sick on air pollution. Where I am at moment is too flat to suit and no real trees.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:49 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,269 times
Search the word Deming in this forum.

Opps nevermind I see you need a running stream and some trees. You will need some $$$ for those needs.

good luck.......

Old 07-11-2007, 06:52 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,863 times
Dixon, between Santa fe and Taos, might appeal to you.

Winters there, however, might be a bit on the chilly side, however.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Truth or Consequences comes to mind. Deep in the Rio Grande valley.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:02 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,683 times
Try High Rolls, its between Alamogordo and Cloudcroft. Nice area. I like Timberon, but last year we did get quite a bit of snow. Not sure if we will this year.
Jane

Old 10-09-2007, 09:20 PM
cat

70 posts, read 290,060 times
Default small town

Im just wondering if you ever found a place like you described? If so, what area? ..I would love something like that also...Im kind of in the same place you are in life..

Old 10-11-2007, 08:21 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
The Dixon is quite and expensive place isnt it ?

You should look up Clayton also, things are quiet cheap here. If you check my profile my website address is there.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:41 AM

385 posts, read 1,556,032 times
What exactly do people mean when they say "trees?" We have trees but sometimes people think of them as tall weeds (like mesquite). Pinon are great trees but not exactly Doug Firs. To find real tall pine trees in New Mexico is a bit of a challenge as usually then you get more wintry weather and those areas can be more expensive. I like to recommend the area around Magdalena, Datil, etc. It is beautiful up there and has some elevation so it isn't as hot as other areas but no huge winter problems. Also, land is still affordable and Albuquerque is about 100 miles north. Not a bad place at all. High Rolls is nice too but I would look into the water situation. Those prices are starting to creep up in the recent past. I don't know if they have water like the Tularosa Basin (which supposedly has a lot of underground water).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico