Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Here is a link to the weather averages for Alamo. The summers are quite warm and appear to extend from May through September.

Average Weather for Alamogordo, NM - Temperature and Precipitation
Yes, I had seen those--but you know what?? Neither West Texas nor Alamo followed their usual patterns this summer, so....I'm hoping that it stays below the 94 average given at the highest point next summer, LOL!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:17 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,749 times
Quote:
Yes, I had seen those--but you know what?? Neither West Texas nor Alamo followed their usual patterns this summer, so....I'm hoping that it stays below the 94 average given at the highest point next summer, LOL!!!

Thanks!
Cathy, Only time will tell the story of the weather in Alamo! I'm really liking what I've learned about Alamo and could definitely live there; but, those hot summers...; I don't know, that has me concerned! As a diabetic, I have a low tolerance for extremes of temperature, hot or cold! Steve

Old 12-11-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Cathy, Only time will tell the story of the weather in Alamo! I'm really liking what I've learned about Alamo and could definitely live there; but, those hot summers...; I don't know, that has me concerned! As a diabetic, I have a low tolerance for extremes of temperature, hot or cold! Steve
Well, I know people beat this to death...it was hot this August (when I got here), but it is a dry heat, and the nights do cool off.

As far as being diabetic, there are good medical facilities here, as I understand it, with a medical complex on the north end of town here. The fall has been wonderful so far, very temperate. The nights have gotten down to 20 or so, but you wouldn't be out in that, anyway....

So, I'll give it enough time to see how it goes. I really do like it here.....so far!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Well, I know people beat this to death...it was hot this August (when I got here), but it is a dry heat, and the nights do cool off.

As far as being diabetic, there are good medical facilities here, as I understand it, with a medical complex on the north end of town here. The fall has been wonderful so far, very temperate. The nights have gotten down to 20 or so, but you wouldn't be out in that, anyway....

So, I'll give it enough time to see how it goes. I really do like it here.....so far!!!
Cathy, I've already checked out the Gerald Champion Hospital and I like what I saw; they have a good staff and a good Endocrinology Dept; which my primary concern as a diabetic.

"Dry heat"? I drove truck for 12 years, let me inform you that there is no such reality as "dry heat"! I can assure you that 110 degrees is 110 degrees! In fact, I became dehydrated faster at lower humidity levels than at high humidity levels. When the humidity is low, perspiration evaporates from the skin very quickly without the person being aware that they are losing large quantities of fluid and electrolytes; dehydration and heat prostration (can be fatal!) can occur very quickly in high temperatures and low humidity. When the heat index is high (temperature + humidity) the body will forcibly cause a reduction in physical output to retain fluids and electrolytes. My druthers; low humidity and low physical output! That's why I retired from the road in 2002!

I've got no problems with the winter weather, it's the summer temps that concern me. Steve

Old 12-11-2007, 07:16 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
Steve, I am with you on the heat issue; I have always thought it must be my own tolerance level, but heat is heat to me.

Humidity can make it worse, but heat all by itself is just too much for me ... and since we are approaching retirement and I finally have a choice ~~ after 9 years in Texas and 28 years in Kansas ~ I will NOT live in a hot climate (humid OR dry) ever again.. and I am thrilled with our choice of Santa Fe.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Cathy, I've already checked out the Gerald Champion Hospital and I like what I saw; they have a good staff and a good Endocrinology Dept; which my primary concern as a diabetic.

"Dry heat"? I drove truck for 12 years, let me inform you that there is no such reality as "dry heat"! I can assure you that 110 degrees is 110 degrees! In fact, I became dehydrated faster at lower humidity levels than at high humidity levels. When the humidity is low, perspiration evaporates from the skin very quickly without the person being aware that they are losing large quantities of fluid and electrolytes; dehydration and heat prostration (can be fatal!) can occur very quickly in high temperatures and low humidity. When the heat index is high (temperature + humidity) the body will forcibly cause a reduction in physical output to retain fluids and electrolytes. My druthers; low humidity and low physical output! That's why I retired from the road in 2002!

I've got no problems with the winter weather, it's the summer temps that concern me. Steve
Well, you know what is best for you, Steve, and what you can tolerate!

As for me, I never adapted to the combination of high heat and humidity. I worked in MS during the hottest time of the year (April-Aug)...and had to be outside often! Granted, I don't like hot temperatures, be they humid or dry, but the humidity nearly killed me. I had no energy at all. While I don't like it, I can tolerate a dry heat much better.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Steve, I am with you on the heat issue; I have always thought it must be my own tolerance level, but heat is heat to me.

Humidity can make it worse, but heat all by itself is just too much for me ... and since we are approaching retirement and I finally have a choice ~~ after 9 years in Texas and 28 years in Kansas ~ I will NOT live in a hot climate (humid OR dry) ever again.. and I am thrilled with our choice of Santa Fe.
I was in Santa Fe several times; it's a great place to live and enjoy! For you, the weather should be as good as it gets! Enjoy!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Well, you know what is best for you, Steve, and what you can tolerate!

As for me, I never adapted to the combination of high heat and humidity. I worked in MS during the hottest time of the year (April-Aug)...and had to be outside often! Granted, I don't like hot temperatures, be they humid or dry, but the humidity nearly killed me. I had no energy at all. While I don't like it, I can tolerate a dry heat much better.
Cathy, If I knew what was best for me, my life would be a whole lot better than it is today!

I just stumble around until I get to some kind of conclusion, right or wrong!

Savannah, Georgia in July or August, that was the worst for me! I carried a cylinder of oxygen in my truck for places like Savannah; Corpus Christi, Texas and points east and west along the coast. I actually found Mississippi to be tolerable, relative to other locations. Steve

Old 12-11-2007, 09:47 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
Steve,

I think Las Cruces sounds too hot for you in the summer, and Santa Fe might be too cold for you in the winter, so how about Albuquerque?

I would consider that the most moderate of the three cities ... and ABQ is a great city. Have you been there, and do you like it?

Great place for good medical care, too.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Steve,

I think Las Cruces sounds too hot for you in the summer, and Santa Fe might be too cold for you in the winter, so how about Albuquerque?

I would consider that the most moderate of the three cities ... and ABQ is a great city. Have you been there, and do you like it?

Great place for good medical care, too.
Towanda, The 3 locations that I originally considered in NM were LC, ABQ and Santa Fe; I have since added Alamo to my list of possible locations. I have not been in Alamo, but I have been in the other 3 locations several times. The closest that I got to Alamo was several deliveries to the nearby military base, I was never in Alamo proper. I'll note that my visits were 25 to 30 years ago and generally lasted 1-3 days while I was loading/unloading household goods.

I have sharper memories of LC and Santa Fe than I do of ABQ. Perhaps this is due to the more metro appearance of ABQ compared to the other 2 locations. I would surmise that this is due to the "big city" effect. I've been in all the major cites and metro areas of the country. After a while, they all start looking the same, only the signage and route numbers are different. Smaller cities and locations tend to have their own flavor and distinctions which is probably why I remember LC and Santa Fe with some details, while ABQ was just paperwork and log book entries.

I don't want to spend all kind of time and money visiting all 4 locations, and possible more, so I'm hoping to get my choice down to 2 locations which I can then visit for 7-10 days and make my decision based on present day experiences and qualities of life, rather than vague memories from more than 25 years ago. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico