Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 11:00 PM

426 posts, read 1,086,818 times

Advertisements

So where in NM can I find a natural, decent place for a cool dip? Suggestions for swimming holes, lakes and rivers, or whatever, are welcomed. I live in ABQ but I don't mind driving around and "making a whole day" out of it.

Yes, I know about the Blue Hole.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 01:06 PM

212 posts, read 371,349 times
As far as lakes go I think the best one for swimming in your area is Abiquiu Lake. The facilities are very nice and the scenery is great. Also, lots of people go and splash around at Soda Dam up in the Jemez Mountains. Its just a small pool but again, the scenery is terrific. There are also Cochiti Lake, Nambe Falls and possibly the Rio Grande up around Pilar on the High Road.

These places are well known so there is plenty of information on the internet about them and all the other popular water recreation areas in the state.

Here are some nice places I've discovered that are more obscure and less crowded:

Up in the Pecos River Canyon in particular there are lots of places. The Panchuela Campground, which is perhaps the nicest Forest Service campground in the canyon, is next to Cave Creek where you can wade around. There are some pretty deep pools along the Rio Mora, accessed from the Mora Campground (Dept. of Game and Fish). And there are very nice pools and scenery at Windy Bridge picnic area (Forest Service) along the Pecos River. The Forest service charges fees but the Dept. of Game and Fish requires a permit.

NMDGF

Up in the Jemez Mountains, in addition to Soda Dam, there are numerous points of access to the Jemez River for swimming and wading. And don't forget the hot springs. Also, you can't miss the Gilman Tunnels where you can swim in the Guadalupe River above a waterfall if you're very careful. The scenery here is very dramatic.

The Jemez Gilman Tunnels - YouTube

And if you find yourself at Bandalier National Monument you can ask the folks at the visitor center for a brochure on swimming holes and hot springs in the area.

Further up north in an area called the Enchanted Circle there are campgrounds along the Red River with places to swim. On NM38 between Quest and Red River. Check out Fawn Lakes campground in particular, picnic sites with shade along the river.

These are just a sampling, I'll post any more information that I can remember.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:55 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
SE NM offers the Bottomless Lakes near Roswell (no, they're not bottomless, either in terms of dress code or their depth). Lea Lake in particular conjures up the ol' swimmin' hole image pretty effectively.

Carlsbad's riverfront park is also a favorite, though last time I was there it was unkempt and the bathrooms were locked shut (why have them, guys?)

Old 06-11-2014, 05:22 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,567 times
Any near Alamogordo?

Old 06-12-2014, 12:53 AM

212 posts, read 371,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Any near Alamogordo?
There is a steep trail down to Fresnal Creek starting from the Tunnel Vista area on the road to Cloudcroft. There are apparently some deep pools down there.

Only on ABC-7: Waterfalls & Desert Oasis near El Paso | News - Home

At the beginning of May I went camping at Three Rivers campground (not to be confused with Three River Petroglyph site) and there was enough water in the stream for a nice refreshing bath. Even with zero snow on Sierra Blanca peak and severe drought prevailing the flow was still surprisingly strong.

Here is a video of the area (not mine):

Three Rivers - YouTube

Old 06-15-2014, 08:07 AM

79 posts, read 174,993 times
Just a comment -- I love Three Rivers!

Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 PM

426 posts, read 1,086,818 times
Thanks for the replies so far. Any suggestions near the Santa Fe area?

Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
joqua - cool picture of Bridal Falls. I've heard of it but never seen it. I don't know if a private group could own and restrict visitation to a place like this but I suspect they can. I'd go there today if I was allowed to, I'm just down the road in Alamogordo.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:11 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
joqua - cool picture of Bridal Falls...I'd go there today if I was allowed to, I'm just down the road in Alamogordo.
I see my post to this thread was moved to create a new thread, but in any event, I should emphasize that I don't know to what extent the owner(s) of Seventh Heaven Ranch are restricting access to Bridal Falls. There is an email contact posted on their web site that you can try to use for asking their permission to visit, and what they require of visitors (entrance fee?). The principal owner, who I have known in the past, is in poor health - or so I was told - but he is a very congenial person, IMO.

Bridal Falls Lane is a public road so it's quite possible to drive to the creek proper, where there is a "wet" crossing point, but the actual falls are on a short dirt branch road. While the actual falls are not shown on Google Maps, there are a number of photos in the "Street View" panel and if you scroll over a photo a directional line will point to the spot at the falls where the photo was taken, thereby allowing the viewer to zoom in on that spot.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:35 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I see my post to this thread was moved to create a new thread,
Yes, this original thread title is "An ol' swimming hole???" and "So where in NM can I find a natural, decent place for a cool dip? ". You kind of went off topic and started discussing where you can't going swimming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico