Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,035 times

Advertisements

Well, well...My beautiful land of entrapment. Any reason such as jury duty to keep people from moving to our state, I love! It's a civic duty and to #@$@#$ with those that don't respect it for whatever reasons. I won't be the happiest camper when I do get called, but just knowing that people avoid moving here for this reason is wonderful. So now I will even be happier to serve.

My belief as a Native New Mexican-Keep it real! Let the snooty rich and their attitudes move back East where litigation is so much better! Keep the soul and spirit alive, based on "who" people are, not how much money they have.

Last edited by ladynm; 08-17-2011 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
I was called in Cibola county and the term was for 6 months. Never had to drive the 75 miles one way trip, lucked out!

Old 08-20-2011, 12:38 AM

8 posts, read 15,111 times
I've been called to Metro Court two times in 3 years (almost to the day, can't help but wonder if they just recycle us on a schedule.) It really wasn't a terrible experience. The term was 2 weeks, you basically sit in a nice air conditioned room equipped with a fridge full of sodas where you can keep your lunch. They have awesome wifi, you can bring anything you want to as long as it doesn't have a camera (laptop, ipod, ipad, etc.)I didn't get called for voir dire at all the first time...seriouslly boring as I didn't have a laptop then, but the second time I DID have a laptop, it got me out of work a whole bunch (my employer pays us at our normal rate for Jury Duty, we just have to show proof,) and I got called for voir dire 4 times which is actually kind of fun. Never did get picked for a jury..they want people who to me at least, seem opinionless and uneducated. I did a lot of thinking about how people who DON'T get paid by their jobs manage. Metro pays you $7.50/hr plus mileage from your home to court round trip. That's fine if you don't work or only have a minimum wage job but for a professional it can mean a serious bite in a paycheck. I think I served 18 hours total (from the log I had to turn into my employer.) That's like half a week's pay!

I've had my term delayed once for personal reasons, no problems. I didn't have to grovel, just explained and they moved it. I needed a day off the first time for a doctor's appt..no problem I was excused. On the whole, it was a pain and screwed up my days a few times, but I had no problem serving.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:05 PM

195 posts, read 421,006 times
Default jury duty in santa fe

How does it work in Santa Fe? I got a letter saying to call After April 6, and to call every friday until I hear my number, but it didn't say how long I call the number for.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Inferno View Post
How does it work in Santa Fe? I got a letter saying to call After April 6, and to call every friday until I hear my number, but it didn't say how long I call the number for.
The info is only a few clicks away.
Jury Information

Old 03-24-2012, 07:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Inferno View Post
I am on Jury Duty now for the 13th Judicial District Court in Bernalillo for four months. I was able to do the Jury Orientation online. I completed the Juror Qualification/Questionnaire form that was mailed to me with my summons back in December. I spent one day on a trial.

It might depend on which court... Usually the letter tells you. And usually it tells you what you have to do.

It could be the "First Judicial District Court" or "Santa Fe County Magistrate Court".

Rich

Old 03-25-2012, 04:37 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
The info is only a few clicks away.
Jury Information
Is it district court, magistrate court, federal court....it depends on the court. I just finished district court. I had to call every Friday for 3 months. Only got called to one jury selection and wasn't selected.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,492 times
Default It is not like that in all counties in New Mexico

If you are a citizen of San Juan County in New Mexico you only have to serve 1 month every 3 years you will still receive summons but that is only because the Jury system is very outdated and does not remember anyone who has already been called. All you have to do is feel the questioner out and put that you have served on (ex. July 2010) and they will excuse you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer View Post
I was recently informed about how jury duty works in New Mexico. I was
told that you are one call for a period of six months and you could serve on
many different juries during that period of time. Also I was told that you are
pretty much tied down durning that period of time and it would be very difficult if you needed to leave for a trip or vacation during your time on jury
duty. I've been on jury duty in many different states and all the ones that I
have previously lived in I only had to serve on one jury and I was not on call
for another 18 to 24 months. So I called the local clerk of the court and she
said what I had been told was correct and it was a law in the state of New
Mexico. I'm now wondering if this is true or only true in the smaller communities in this state? Later I was told why do you think there are so many out of state car tags for people who reside here. Anyway is this
the law even in the larger communities like Santa Fe, Las Cruces and Albu?
I have mentioned this to some friends who were considering moving here and
they said they have changed their minds. Just curious how it works in all the
larger cities in New Mexico. Thanks

Old 06-29-2012, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,492 times
Usually if you are called for Jury Duty you receive a Subpoena in the mail in which gives you the number you need to call and the dates you are suppose to appear. If you read the Subpoena it gives you instructions as to when your suppose to call. Some counties also provide a Brochure that gives you more detailed information about Jury Service.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:10 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
Opps, just a letter today requesting my esteemed presence on 13 july for Grand July duty...up to 3 months worth.
I said sure...just pay me the .41 cents/mile per/day which would = 73.80 + the $6.50/hr.

I don't think they will do it, will see.
Proud to serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico