Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 AM

153 posts, read 759,580 times

Advertisements

Anyone know the laws regarding jury duty service in NM, I can't seem to find anything on the net? I've been in the pool since June of LAST YEAR, I served on a trial several weeks ago, I thought I was done, out, BUT...just got called to service again yesterday. This is nuts. Am I like a permanent juror or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:29 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,196 times
I have heard it varies by county. Someone I know is in the pool for our county and I think its 6 months for us?

Old 07-14-2009, 01:40 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
New Mexico has 33 counties which are divided into 13 judicial districts. The 13 District Courts are shown here http://www.nmcourts.gov/state-courts.aspx they should have the Jury Handbook on each site. They also issued you some jury paperwork etc. I was called to jury duty while I was on jury duty... The court clerk fixed it....

My wife has been on jury duty twice and never appeared in a trial.

I would call the court clerk for your district and ask...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-27-2017 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 03:12 PM

137 posts, read 474,805 times
A family member was called to serve and served on a trial that went on for about two months. After two months, the jury pool thought it was over because the case was dismissed, but then they were called back the very next week or so. So I guess it just depends by county maybe.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:00 PM

153 posts, read 759,580 times
I served on one trial already, never got a handbook, never got any paperwork. The only paperwork/questionnaire I ever received was when I was notified that I was in the pool a year ago, I can't remember how long it said I was in the pool for but I assumed if you were chosen for a trial and served that you were done. I get a letter to appear for a trial every couple of weeks and then it gets canceled the DAY before (via telephone). Makes it kind of hard to vacation when you get called for jury duty twice a month. This is Socorro County. Definitely going to call them and find out what is going on. I don't mind doing my civil duty but this is getting ridiculous. Is it possible I got put in a pool twice in a row or something.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheDesert View Post
but I assumed if you were chosen for a trial and served that you were done.
No.

You are assigned for a certain period of time.

I would call the appropriate court clerk.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-27-2017 at 09:13 AM..

Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheDesert View Post
Anyone know the laws regarding jury duty service in NM, I can't seem to find anything on the net? I've been in the pool since June of LAST YEAR, I served on a trial several weeks ago, I thought I was done, out, BUT...just got called to service again yesterday. This is nuts. Am I like a permanent juror or something?
I think you are in the pool for a year but not exactly sure. I do know that NM passed a law where they can have ex-felons serve on a jury as long as they aren't on parole or anything.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:55 PM

977 posts, read 1,957,049 times
In San Juan County at least, you are in the pool for a month. Not sure how it works in other counties or districts. Assuming you don't get a delay or excusal approved, they will send you a list of dates during that month that you have to show up, along with a phone number to call. You are supposed to call the number the day you are scheduled to show up, and sometimes you will be told not to show. Assuming you don't actually get chosen as a juror, you are done when the month is over. If you are chosen, you are done when that particular case is done, which could be much longer.
I ran into a situation where I was summoned for jury duty 3 times (months) in less than a year and a half. In the second case, I simply filled out the form and requested excusal based on having served within the past 2 years, and was excused. In the third, I requested excusal based on having moved out of state, and was excused again.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,807,826 times
I just received my first jury duty notice form Sandoval county. The term is 4 months, you have to check every weekend to see if you should report the following week. apparently, they can get you once every 3 years.

Personally, I think this is an absurd way to do it. I moved here from Michigan, where it was one day or one trial, no more than once every 2 years.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,572 times
I got called for jury duty in Socorro District Court. Had to show up for voix dire (selection) for every criminal and civil jury trial for a period of three months. During that time, I actually had to serve on three criminal (1 day, 1 day, and 4 days) and one civil trial (3 days). My boss was not happy. Nor was I -- jury duty only pays minimum wage so I lost significant income.

In New Mexico, potential jurors are drawn drom the voter registration list. So I let my registration lapse by not voting, and haven't been called for jury duty since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico