Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:31 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,805,393 times

Advertisements

I thrive on learning about different cultures and lifestyles. My mother once called me a born traveler, and I'm eternally curious. As I learn more and adjust my resistance to change, I'm growing more comfortable with the move and starting to like the idea of an adventure ahead.

Recently I began having stomach problems, in addition to other stress symptoms. It's obvious I'm burned out from NY and all these pressures on me.

One important question I have about NM in general: is it earthquake-prone or prone to other natural disasters? I posted a moment ago in LI forum about hurricanes and flooding. It's a growing concern for the NY area, and living on an island doesn't look so good for the long term. My house was in the path of hurricanes Sandy and Irene, but luckily sustained only minor damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 11:22 AM

One thing I noticed when comparing the NY metro forum and the NM forum is a lack of hostility and snark. Same thing when you look at the Newsday comments. People from NY are full of pent-up anger that they vent towards strangers at forums safely behind a PC.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:01 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,487,440 times
Here's a USGS history page on earthquakes in NM = New Mexico. They are rare enough that we aren't concerned about them.

Get a few tornadoes but again pretty rare and not all that powerful. If they occur they're usually in eastern NM.

Check out this NY Times article and maps for natural disaster hazards in the US - http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...safe.html?_r=0. We don't worry much about these.
Here's the same map plus a link to the Excel spreadsheet containing ratings for 379 metro areas across the US - Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
. The ABQ area ranks 117. Part of what goes into the ratings are temperatures below 32F and above 90F, which I don't regard as particularly hazardous. Of course, I grew up in Fairbanks AK, and lived in Sacramento CA and traveled some to Phoenix due to work before moving here. My personal records are -66F and +119F, so I consider the ABQ temps great. If you didn't include the temp extremes in the ratings, I'm sure ABQ would rate even better.

Here's another interesting map = USATODAY.com - The landscape of natural disasters. Click on any possible disaster type to see which states have them.

We do get some thunder and lightning storms here during the monsoon season, and folks have been killed by lightning strikes, and flash flooding of arroyos and other low areas. But if you're smart about not going outside and wandering around during these storms, and stay out of low areas then, you will be safe.

Here's a National Weather Service article on severe weather events in NM - http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ssd/techmemo/sr207.htm, and here's another NWS page on severe weather events in NM in 2013 - NWS ABQ High Wind Climatology.

Wind in the spring can be very severe (40+ mph sustained with gusts even higher). That's probably the natural events that affect locals the most, since it can curtail your activities significantly at times. Here's a NWS page on our spring winds, which has a link to a longer article that provides more info than you'll probably ever want to know about this - NWS ABQ High Wind Climatology.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:55 AM..

Old 07-06-2014, 03:52 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,930,100 times
Having lived in NYC and visited Albuquerque I will say the only similarity between the cities is they are in the same country. Get a flight out there and rent a car (You do know how to drive?) and start by looking around ABU. Try the museums. Take the tram at sunset. Have lunch in Old town. Be a combination of tourist and visitor. Be amazed. Then drive to other parts of the state. Breath some air that hasn't been run through a taxi engine. Drive to Chama and take the train to Colorado. Look around more. Be even more amazed.

THEN RETURN TO NYC TO PACK YOUR STUFF AND MOVE ASAP.

Living in NM is cheaper and more effective then therapy anyway.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:46 PM

Thanks to all giving me advice here. I'm leaving, I'm gonna do it. You can pass by my house and take away some of my crap. I probably should have left years ago.

I have a house to rent that I've been fixing up, and dealing with its problems is a big deal right now. Looks like the market here is heating up a bit after years in a big slump. My house lost $40,000 worth of value after the market crashed. Would love to recover some of that if I do sell it.

I was checking out foreclosures in "the Querk." Something under $100K would be ideal. I will probably rent for a few months or so to see if I like it. Property taxes are about $1,200. Holy moley!

All of this is possible due to the internets. I work online, so job hunting won't be an issue, and I don't need to be in NY. Thank you, internets.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,487,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
All of this is possible due to the internets. I work online, so job hunting won't be an issue, and I don't need to be in NY. Thank you, internets.
It's amazing how freeing it is when you really realize you can work anywhere. (I know most don't have this capability and truly feel blessed to be at this point in my life.) It literally opens up your world to be able to pick whatever location you think will make you the happiest.

Agree that renting for a few months is probably your best option. Give yourself time to decide whether this is the place for you.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
It's amazing how freeing it is when you really realize you can work anywhere. (I know most don't have this capability and truly feel blessed to be at this point in my life.) It literally opens up your world to be able to pick whatever location you think will make you the happiest.

Agree that renting for a few months is probably your best option. Give yourself time to decide whether this is the place for you.
True, true. I have begun thinking of myself as a world citizen, as I can take my laptop with me anyplace and connect with clients. I'm an online copywriter/marketer, and I also write movie screenplays. The work can pay a little or a lot. Much of what you earn depends on your hustle.

When I began this conversation my objective was to live more cheaply and get away from the strain of constant money crises. I began this thread feeling vaguely resentful that I'm begin forced out of here due to money pressures, and angry with myself for not hustling harder. As I explore the NM lifestyle I realize I may be a very good fit for the place. I am drawn to the off-beat and quirky, I am not flashy or showy and I love Mexican food. This would give me an opportunity to travel the west and really see it. I never really had the chance. NY is loaded with places to visit, but it's hard to travel to anything because it's so crowded.

One thing that concerns me is that NM may become a hotspot for retirees. I don't want to live in a place that's like Florida with less humidity. NM seems to have few business opportunities, and I predict it'll become a draw for those with pensions.

People have been saying the population will never become all that dense because it's a desert and it can't support all that many people. But look at what happened to California.

If I could live anywhere if money was no object, I'd live in Venice, California.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:24 PM

Important question: how's the quality of high speed Internet services in ABQ? Is there a lot of choice? In my area, two providers have locked up the market, and the price parity hurts the consumer. Just one more way that New Yorkers get [bleep]ed up the keister.

I don't care nearly as much about cable TV (can Roku it).

Old 07-07-2014, 06:47 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,480,417 times
If I may add an observation: you sound in many ways like a typical New Yorker, very "Type A" and high-strung. You will have to adjust to a MUCH slower pace of life here. Many people find that difficult. The people around you will seem comatose by comparison to NY. We are not in a rush. For some Easterners lacking patience that can be highly annoying and they see red. Like my parents when visiting me once said about a waitress who seemed to take too long, "If this was New York, she'd be fired by now!!!" That is definitely not the kind of attitude you want to bring here with you. We do not hustle, there is no bustle. You will need to shift down several gears.

We won't be a retirement magnet like Florida because we have winter here. It gets cold (regularly in the 20's) and snows sometimes.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
If I may add an observation: you sound in many ways like a typical New Yorker, very "Type A" and high-strung. You will have to adjust to a MUCH slower pace of life here. Many people find that difficult. The people around you will seem comatose by comparison to NY. We are not in a rush. For some Easterners lacking patience that can be highly annoying and they see red. Like my parents when visiting me once said about a waitress who seemed to take too long, "If this was New York, she'd be fired by now!!!" That is definitely not the kind of attitude you want to bring here with you. We do not hustle, there is no bustle. You will need to shift down several gears.

We won't be a retirement magnet like Florida because we have winter here. It gets cold (regularly in the 20's) and snows sometimes.
I actually look forward to unwinding and chilling a bit, so I have no problem with what you describe. I mentioned in this thread that I work in online marketing, and the business is full of hustlers and schemers far more aggressive than me. There's no way I can chill out until I'm comatose and make any money in this business, so I still need to keep the hustle on, at least part-time. I'd rather wind it down a couple of notches, and not have to keep my hustle on full-time.

Cold and snow? Two feet, three feet? No problemo. I'm pretty adaptable and have seen every kind of weather. I should also mention that I've been to Santa Fe and stayed not far from the Guadalupe St. train depot for several days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico