Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 20,459 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate my business to NM, and would like to know if it would fit in.

I ship 100% of what I sell, so I do not need to be in a retail environment.
We would have daily UPS type pick up and delivery, as well as a container delivered a few times a year.
I only need a small workforce - Myself plus 1 or 2 helpers.

I am looking to get about 10 acres of land, and have a house on one part, and a 10,000 sq foot warehouse on another part.

I would like to be near a reasonable sized city, such as abq.

In looking at properties, I see I have to learn more about water supplies, as well as ZONING.

Any input as to what the zoning regs are as well as possible problems would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 08:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
You could try buying a house within walking distance of an existing industrial park or commercial district and live in one place and work near by but not in your home. I saw that Socorro has a small industrial area.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:24 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,026,346 times
Zoning regulations are different for every city and county. I would try to settle on an area and then see what theirs are.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:41 PM

Any idea what R1, R2, A1, etc mean?
I am pretty clear on "no zone"

Old 12-21-2007, 06:31 PM

332 posts, read 1,036,605 times
As somebody said the zoning's different in each community. But here are some general definitions:

General Provisions and Definitions
Zone Districts Established
A-R Agricultural/Residential
R-1 Single-Family Residential
R-1A Single-Family Mixed
R-2 Multifamily Residential
R-3 Small Lot Residential
C-R Commercial/Residential
C-1 General Commercial
M-C Manufacturing/Commercial
SU-1 Special Use Zone

You might consider an area like the "Turquoise Trail" - the scenic route between Santa Fe and Albuquerque (look closer to Santa Fe). It has homes with large acreage, and in many cases several buildings in addition to the main home. That way you get the UPS delivery, the opportunity to have some people working with you, and you're close to stores, downtown Santa Fe, etc.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:28 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,704,307 times
Well in Las Cruces, home based businesses are limited in the number of deliveries that can be made from/to the residence during a certain period of time (I don't recall the exact amount). There's also a restriction against having employees that don't live in the house.

You'll really need to look into the rules where you plan on locating.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:16 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,193,444 times
I know of one particular family-owned and run mail order business that is about 5 miles on rutted rock from a dirt road which is 2 miles from a state road which is 60 miles from a town, and 200 miles from a major city. They have daily UPS pickup and delivery with a very modest cost associated therewith.

Highly recommend, since containers are expensive here, and you'll be getting containers in, that you just keep them and use the containers as your warehouse. That's the in thing these days.

Might I recommend Wagon Mound? Cheap cheap land, easy access to Las Vegas NM, Santa Fe, and right there on the interstate. Plenty of cheap labor too. (Whether I'm referring to the quality or the going rate would depend on who you talk to). Could also try near Hatch, though the incoming spaceport will start elevating local wages and property values.

Mail order business zoning should be cake pretty much anywhere you live or build.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:28 AM

385 posts, read 1,556,936 times
Just a heads up here in New Mexico. I moved into NM about six months ago. In addition to state income tax, I learned I must pay another tax as well. I work for a worldwide company. I am a contractor. I have only one client, so to speak. I perform services for this company. I am being told that I must pay a 5 percent tax on the monies I have earned from that company while living here. I do not perform these services in NM. I live in Dona Ana County so maybe its just county by county-I don't know but that seems perculiar to me.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:09 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,704,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimK View Post
Just a heads up here in New Mexico. I moved into NM about six months ago. In addition to state income tax, I learned I must pay another tax as well. I work for a worldwide company. I am a contractor. I have only one client, so to speak. I perform services for this company. I am being told that I must pay a 5 percent tax on the monies I have earned from that company while living here. I do not perform these services in NM. I live in Dona Ana County so maybe its just county by county-I don't know but that seems perculiar to me.
That's the gross receipts tax that all businesses in the state have to pay (the exact amount varies from place to place). As a contractor, that counts as a business. I do believe you're allowed to deduct it from your earnings, so as to avoid double taxation, but of course always consult with your accountant. I think there might also be exceptions for mail-order sales (or sales made through the internet).

Old 12-31-2007, 10:10 AM

Just got back from the Abq area.
It looks to me that if I wanted to put everything on one site, I would have to be about 30 miles out site the city.
The woman wants to be much closer to shopping, so I will have to look for warehousing plus a residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico