Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:17 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,732,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
That kind of temp in Orlando is freakish!!! The natives are gonna be shakin in their boots no doubt.
Yeah, there are actually wind chill warnings in some areas of Florida well into the low teens and there are forecasts of some of the lowest temps EVER in Florida tonight and to a lesser degree tomorrow night. That is freakish for sure. I am hopeful that the citrus crops, etc., are not heavily damaged, but it is kind of surreal to watch a tropical state get some of the Midwestern-esque cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
As for the 50 degrees, its gonna feel hot compared to today and tomorrow, its a 30/40 degree difference. Im not crazy about the 50 degree winter temps though, kinda ruins winter. Im a winter lover, can you tell?
Well, I respect winter lovers like you Steve-O, I think this winter has been such a crazy one though, perhaps you'll give the rest of us these two 50 degree days to "take a much-needed break"!! I am sure winter will soon after return!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 02:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,505,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Well, I respect winter lovers like you Steve-O, I think this winter has been such a crazy one though, perhaps you'll give the rest of us these two 50 degree days to "take a much-needed break"!! I am sure winter will soon after return!
Yeah, for those who despise winter, those few days will be a blessing. I, however, dont want those temps until March, where theyre the norm. The reason I dislike those warm days in winter is because theyre just teases, and then when it gets back in the 30s, I get a little grumpy, even though I shouldnt be. Make sense? lol

Old 01-02-2008, 05:40 PM

298 posts, read 1,150,768 times
I realize that ABQ had cold temps this morning, but it stayed 10 degrees here in Dayton all day. The snow is beautiful. I'm sure that I'll actually miss some of the snowy days. I can't imagine that I'll miss the cold weather. I will hold onto one warm winter coat when I move. I plan on being able to visit the NM mountains in the winter. My bf stated today, "We can always go visit Dayton in the winter." Huh? Why would he want to visit in the winter?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:41 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,413,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The strangest thing is that Timberon is often warmer than towns at lower elevations--I track temperatures and weather in 8-10 places, and Timberon, even though higher at 7,000 ft--is at times warmer than Alamogordo, NM, and Alpine/Midland, TX.

Farmington, NM, at 5-5300 feet in elevation, is nearly always colder than any of the above.

So, my original choice (Farmington) was the best one as far as weather (cooler) goes.
Hi Cathy! (waving)
Good to know that Timberon stays a little warmer (although you couldn't tell it by these past few weeks - brrrrrrrr at 10F nights ) Maybe because we're in a little mini-valley here nestled in the Sac's. When I drive up to Cloudcroft, there's still snow leftover from weeks ago.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:46 PM

298 posts, read 1,150,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I judge a climate to myself personally by many factors, but one way to tell if winters are harsh or not, I think, is to judge the "golf factor."
I appreciate this analogy. I don't care about golf--at all. However, I figure that if you can golf year-round, then you can walk, bike, run, hike, etc., year-round. I just don't want to have to go exercise on a treadmill.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,909,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egglady View Post
Hi Cathy! (waving)
Good to know that Timberon stays a little warmer (although you couldn't tell it by these past few weeks - brrrrrrrr at 10F nights ) Maybe because we're in a little mini-valley here nestled in the Sac's. When I drive up to Cloudcroft, there's still snow leftover from weeks ago.
Hi, Nan!

LOL!!! I have been wishing for colder weather, but I have moved to the wrong place for really cold!! It got down to 18 here last night, though!

How's the house coming along? I want to see it when it's finished!!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:22 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,413,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
How's the house coming along? I want to see it when it's finished!!
Oh it's plugging along. We're waiting on windows now, but they're coming out of Denver where there is REAL snow so the shipment is held up *pout*
So we have all the window openings all boarded up until they arrive (real attractive LOL!)

Old 01-02-2008, 06:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,909,695 times
Quote:
Oh it's plugging along. We're waiting on windows now, but they're coming out of Denver where there is REAL snow so the shipment is held up *pout*
So we have all the window openings all boarded up until they arrive (real attractive LOL!)
LOL!! Sounds like it's rocking right along....

Old 01-12-2008, 02:02 PM

52,395 posts, read 52,888,780 times
Default Small world

Quote:
Waving at Chowhound onaccounta I'm from SoCal and have family in Long Beach
We just moved here from SoCal, in July - not to the ABQ area, but to the southeastern Sacramento mountains where I am experiencing my first 'real' winter. Not getting a lot of snow yet but it's been freezing-and-below temps during the day for a few weeks now.
Yep - it's cold. And dry.
You may want to stock up on some good hand cream to wear when you work outside, gloves or no gloves. Keep chapstick or some kind of lip balm on you. Wear a hat.
I'm staying inside where it's warm (yeah, I'm a wimp), but my husband has been working outside building a house. He says it's cold, but when you get going you warm up anyway. I guess it takes getting used to.
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I have to come out there during the "cold" weather and check it out. I live in Long Beach, and while it is a a big city with lots to do, I just gotta get out of here. The traffic and high cost of housing and everything else is making me crazy. Looking to escape the zoo here called So Cal

Old 01-12-2008, 02:38 PM

16 posts, read 66,774 times
Exclamation Me too!

We are from SoCal too and we want to move to New Mexico!

Quote:
Waving at Chowhound onaccounta I'm from SoCal and have family in Long Beach
We just moved here from SoCal, in July - not to the ABQ area, but to the southeastern Sacramento mountains where I am experiencing my first 'real' winter. Not getting a lot of snow yet but it's been freezing-and-below temps during the day for a few weeks now.
Yep - it's cold. And dry.
You may want to stock up on some good hand cream to wear when you work outside, gloves or no gloves. Keep chapstick or some kind of lip balm on you. Wear a hat.
I'm staying inside where it's warm (yeah, I'm a wimp), but my husband has been working outside building a house. He says it's cold, but when you get going you warm up anyway. I guess it takes getting used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico