Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,539,638 times

Advertisements

At 7000 feet up .. it hurts a lot more if you fall.

Seriously drink lots of water and take it easy at first and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 07:48 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,195,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
At 7000 feet up .. it hurts a lot more if you fall.
It's not the fall that hurts - it's the sudden stop! Using that criteria, I doubt anyone falling from great heights is going to experience any great pain.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:10 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,355,293 times
I feel healthier in higher elevations. We spend a lot of time at about 7000 to 8500 feet. Note we live practically at sea level on a ranch in OK. Now when my husband wants to hike at 10000 feet I do notice I am tired and feel like I walked miles when I haven't. Now at 8000 feet we quite often do a 6 mile hike and the only thing that bothers me is my calfs.

I have headaches every day of my life (mild ones) when I am at higher elevation the headaches disappear. We are thinking that when and if we ever sell this cattle ranch we'll move to higher elevation so I feel better. My husband will get a nose bleed once in awhile but does fine by day two.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,918,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I feel healthier in higher elevations. We spend a lot of time at about 7000 to 8500 feet. Note we live practically at sea level on a ranch in OK. Now when my husband wants to hike at 10000 feet I do notice I am tired and feel like I walked miles when I haven't. Now at 8000 feet we quite often do a 6 mile hike and the only thing that bothers me is my calfs.

I have headaches every day of my life (mild ones) when I am at higher elevation the headaches disappear. We are thinking that when and if we ever sell this cattle ranch we'll move to higher elevation so I feel better. My husband will get a nose bleed once in awhile but does fine by day two.
I hear that. I feel so much better at high and dry (5500-7500 ft) than I do at lower elevations--and especially sea level.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:17 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,452,763 times
The nose bleeds are most likely due to the drier air.

Personally I feel better at sea level. I mean I feel fine at high elevations, even above 9-10,000 feet, but I can run all day and drink like a fish at sea level :-)

Old 02-10-2015, 05:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,195,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Personally I feel better at sea level. I mean I feel fine at high elevations, even above 9-10,000 feet, but I can run all day and drink like a fish at sea level
That's because you're experiencing the reverse effects of elevation on physique for someone who is acclimated to higher elevations exercising vigorously at lower elevations. It's the reason athletes like to train at high elevations - to build up tolerance for lower oxygen intake that benefits them when competing at lower elevations.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:59 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,950,628 times
I live in SW Colorado at 7,000'. I also have coronary artery disease, having experienced blockages and had stents inserted twice. High altitude can be a boon for people like me. The lower oxygen pressure at that altitude means that your body adapts in order to get oxygen into the blood & to the heart muscle. One of things it does is to grow new additional coronary arteries to feed oxygenated blood to the heart.

I work out regularly & eat a healthy (mediterranean) diet. The result is that I'm in the best physical condition I have been since I was about 30 years younger (I'm in my 60's now).

It took several months for my body to truly adapt after I moved here before I was able to stop unconsciously "gasping" for breath from time to time, but it certainly wasn't difficult. And by all means, drink lots & lots of water. I drink a quart first thing every morning. Makes it easy to stay hydrated the rest of the day.

High altitude living can have many benefits for CAD patients like me. Not so much for those suffering from COPD, pulmonary hypertension, & I'm sure many other maladies.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 AM

8 posts, read 27,620 times
I know that the main allergy in the mountains is the two main trees indigenous here, Pinon and Juniper. During the spring and other random times of the year they will bloom and release a ton of pollen. I get pretty messed up, but most people I know don't react too bad. Though lately i take a homeopathic that helps get rid of my allergies.

As for elevation sickness. I know of some people with trouble in the elevations I live in (7000 ft) but they are fine in ABQ which is about 2000-3000 lower than the mountains. Kinda depends on where you choose to live, as NM is quite diverse in elevations. Most people are fine though that I know of. It depends on lung strength. I have asthma, but my lungs have strengthened and now I take elevations better than most.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:36 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,206,480 times
Recent research also links living at altitude to an increased risk of suicide.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:39 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,539,638 times
I live in Rockport but my wife has bad allergies to Live Oak Trees so we will be moving. Otherwise Rockport is a great small ocean town and 5ft elevation. I don't have problems in NM but Cloudcroft does take a few days to get used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico